The Student Room Group

How should I develop my understanding of the law (Yr 12)?

I am a Yr12 student studyingA level History, French, Chemistry and Maths (not law!). I am interested in studying law at university but I am unsure where to start to build my knowledge of the law ready for work experience, uni applications etc. I've found its a broad topic that is tricky grasp an understanding of initially without much prior knowledge.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Original post by samhill444
I am a Yr12 student studyingA level History, French, Chemistry and Maths (not law!). I am interested in studying law at university but I am unsure where to start to build my knowledge of the law ready for work experience, uni applications etc. I've found its a broad topic that is tricky grasp an understanding of initially without much prior knowledge.

I read letters to a law student and the rule of law. There is also a MOOC by cambridge which is really good, it's about 24hrs of content I believe. Other than that get some work experience to see if the legal career is something for you, and I don't think you don't need to do much else.
Hi there,

I'm a law student. I took Physics, English Literature and Psychology and knew little about Law. In all honesty, you will learn all the skills and will be provided with basic knowledge at the very start of the year. In terms of preparation, before you begin university, I would recommend becoming commercially aware with the news and reading various news article. BBC News and Guardian are great platforms to read the news.

Furthermore, during your time at university, make the most of it by having 1 to 1 sessions with the lecturers, attend many workshops in your university which will help you develop different skills such as referencing skills, learning to read and analyse primary sources (cases and statutes), which again you will learn from the start of the year.
Additionally I hope this is the case in every university, but my university offers students workshops to improve their essay writing skills.

I hope this helped.

Best wishes,

Coventry University Student Ambassador
Original post by samhill444

Hi there,

It is good to hear that you are already considering your options for University.

Studies:
There is no particular subjects that they are looking for with a law degree, I think History is quite a good option if you are considering law. As it is an essay based subject, I would recommend focusing and learning from feedback as essay writing skills are essential for a law degree.

Reading:
You may enhance your personal statement by reading law related material, I remember reading "Letters to a law Student" and "The Secret barrister". Anything that shows your interest and supports your application will be worth having a look at.

Work Experience:
I know it can be really difficult to secure experience in the legal field. However, I would still recommend looking for work/ volunteer opportunities in law firms near you.

You could also look at different firm's open days, insight days on their websites. Another option would be online work experiences: I used this platform during sixth form: https://www.theforage.com/.

Even if you do not get offline legal work experience, do not worry as most others will be in the same position. Rather, in your personal statement, focus on your transferrable skills that you have gained through other volunteering or work opportunities.

Habits:
learning to be commercially aware, you can do this by reading the news frequently, paying attention to details: for example proof reading essays - these skills will come in handy for any degree and future careers.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions I am happy to answer them. :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending