The Student Room Group

Engineering in France: Apply with predicted grades?

I am interested in studying engineering in France and was wondering if I can apply with predicted grades and be given a conditional offer based on that? (in other words; the same way it works in England with UCAS)

I am studying for A-Levels (under the Cambridge International Examinations board) in the following subjects: Mathematics; Chemistry; Physics. I am only writing the exams in May/June of next year and ideally, I would like to enter university in the same year. The problem is that the application closes in May (starts in Jan) and I only get my results in August. (hell, in May, I probably wouldn't have even sat for all the papers) Hence, my asking about A-Levels and whether applying with predicted grades is possible.

The universities I am looking at are the ones which include the 2-year preparatory courses in their program, which amounts to a total of five years. I believe these would be the INSA universities and the Université de Technologie, right?

Advice and/or help would be highly appreciated.
Write them directly, only they can give you a definite answer (before it may be too late). Some prépas also allow direct applications from foreign students.

The French haven't sat all their exams either in May. (Source: http://www.letudiant.fr/bac/bac-es-l-et-s-les-dates-des-epreuves-des-series-generales-18612/bac-s-les-dates-des-epreuves-19404.html) So still hope for you and plently of time to inform you.

Off topic:
Oh, and by the way: Would it be possible for you to take Further Math? (Probably you already do.)

As I understand it, they look at the grades already achieved, the ranking (e.g. are you the 1st or 6th in Math at your school), the overall performance of your school/class, the letter of motivation,... But I never went through the process myself and my research is some years old.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Nathanielle
Write them directly, only they can give you a definite answer (before it may be too late). Some prépas also allow direct applications from foreign students.

The French haven't sat all their exams either in May. (Source: http://www.letudiant.fr/bac/bac-es-l-et-s-les-dates-des-epreuves-des-series-generales-18612/bac-s-les-dates-des-epreuves-19404.html) So still hope for you and plently of time to inform you.

Off topic:
Oh, and by the way: Would it be possible for you to take Further Math? (Probably you already do.)

As I understand it, they look at the grades already achieved, the ranking (e.g. are you the 1st or 6th in Math at your school), the overall performance of your school/class, the letter of motivation,... But I never went through the process myself and my research is some years old.

I will try find these prépas you speak of in the coming weeks (really tired these days; too much work and I really stressed myself over universities and what not over the past few months) and will most probably apply to those. It would make more sense to. (:

I'll check out the link in a bit.

Unfortunately, no, it's no longer offered at my school and it's the only one in the area who actually offered it at some point! I might also going to try to compete for a national scholarship and having an additional A2 or AS subject is going to put me at a serious disadvantage, in that I can potentially score less marks overall. (I'll be competing along side people doing science subjects with 3A2 and 2AS subjects) It's real crazy competition, people with 3A* and 2As didn't get any kind of scholarship!

On the other hand, I am also going to apply to CMI, an Indian university, for Maths or Physics and their entrance exams require me having fairly advanced knowledge of both subjects. (they expect me to be studying the likes of Halliday & Resnick books for that and it's a book that undegrad students use!) So, I will most probably have acquired the knowledge then.

Well, I hope so anyway. I can't afford to **** things up now. Don't want to retake another year.

Merci, monsieur. (:
Reply 3
Have a look at this: http://www.insa-france.fr/fr/filiere-internationale--scan-lyon/

INSA is a well-known engineering school, which you can join immediately upon getting your A level (i.e. you don't have to go through the harrowing prepa cycle).
Reply 4
Original post by XYZ
Have a look at this: http://www.insa-france.fr/fr/filiere-internationale--scan-lyon/

INSA is a well-known engineering school, which you can join immediately upon getting your A level (i.e. you don't have to go through the harrowing prepa cycle).

Yeah, it seems there's one year less. One can enter "en premiere année" for a four year course. Good news and bad news though. I'll have a much more intense first year but I'll also graduate earlier, assuming I do get in and don't fail.

Cheers.
Reply 5
Original post by Madrigal
Yeah, it seems there's one year less. One can enter "en premiere année" for a four year course. Good news and bad news though. I'll have a much more intense first year but I'll also graduate earlier, assuming I do get in and don't fail.

Cheers.

I'm not certain it would spare a year, but doing the prépa cycle within INSA will be less stressful than in a regular prépa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending