The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by punctuation
Oh I see. :yes: Hopefully the rise in tuition fees means less competition this year.

I'll be applying for RHUL as I've said, UCL, Oxford... then originally I was going to put Bristol and York but I'm having second thoughts. I'm really not fond of those two universities as a whole, and the cities are a bit off where I'd like to be as an international applicant. As well, the course offerings for Bristol at least is a bit too stats/bio based for me...

Do you have any suggestions? People have recommended Surrey to me but I don't like the look of the uni much. :frown:

At oxford the first two terms are divided with 1/3 stats 1/3 neuroscience 1/3 experimental psychology intro, and no good psychology courses let you escape without a good dosage of biology (Indeed, at cambridge, you study one whole year of biology/maths before setting foot in psychology through the natsci route). Neuropsych is fun though, and everybody hates stats you'll be in the same boat as everyone else.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by Jacke02
At oxford the first two terms are divided with 1/3 stats 1/3 neuroscience 1/3 experimental psychology intro, and no good psychology courses let you escape without a good dosage of biology (Indeed, at cambridge, you study one whole year of biology/maths before setting foot in psychology through the natsci route). Neuropsych is fun though, and everybody hates stats you'll be in the same boat as everyone else.

Am I right in thinking you haven't gone to uni yet? Not everybody hates stats. Lots of people feel daunted by them if they haven't studied anything maths/stats related since gcse but most people are fine. In fact, on my course some of the highest module marks often come from the stats/data analysis modules. Too many people are made to feel that they can't do stats before they even try.
Reply 102
Original post by Katie_louise
Am I right in thinking you haven't gone to uni yet? Not everybody hates stats. Lots of people feel daunted by them if they haven't studied anything maths/stats related since gcse but most people are fine. In fact, on my course some of the highest module marks often come from the stats/data analysis modules. Too many people are made to feel that they can't do stats before they even try.

I have a few friends at york/newcastle uni psychology... they seem to hate it, plus other people i've talked to at open days, but they were mostly first years. I meant most people applying for psychology hate the idea of doing stats, so they'll be in the same boat as everyone elso on tsr.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jacke02

I understand. I don't mind it, but I'd rather not have it be the focal point. In fact at Oxford I will be applying for psychology & philosophy rather than the straight experimental psychology course. :wink:
Reply 104
Im applying for 2012 too!, but im doing an access course so im still trying to find out if the university i want to go to mainly (university of liverpool) will accept an access course n mediocre GCSEs (B's all over) i hope they will!

i want to stay in the surrounding area really, liverpool, manchester etc :smile:
Reply 105
I'm applying for 2012! Got a looong list of uni's i really need to narrow it down haha!
Really interested in the Bath course, and Exeter looks lovely as well.
Original post by Jasmineev
I'm applying for 2012! Got a looong list of uni's i really need to narrow it down haha!
Really interested in the Bath course, and Exeter looks lovely as well.

You mean the 4-year with placement? Mind it has a 75% student satisfaction rate. :K: One of the reasons I decided against applying...

How is Exeter though?
Reply 107
You mean the 4-year with placement? Mind it has a 75% student satisfaction rate. :K: One of the reasons I decided against applying...

How is Exeter though?

Ohh thats not so good ;l i will do some more research into that before i properly consider it then haha.
I like the look of Exeter, even though the nightlife isn't meant to be so good ;l but the campus and location seems really nice to me, and (this is so cringe) i'd prefer to go to a more southern uni because i can't stand cold weather ;l i have reallyyy bad blood circulation LOL.:colondollar:
Ohh thats not so good ;l i will do some more research into that before i properly consider it then haha.
I like the look of Exeter, even though the nightlife isn't meant to be so good ;l but the campus and location seems really nice to me, and (this is so cringe) i'd prefer to go to a more southern uni because i can't stand cold weather ;l i have reallyyy bad blood circulation LOL.:colondollar:

:yes: I remember someone on this thread is doing the program at Bath, so it's best if you asked her (I think it was a her). Just search through the last few pages, it wasn't too long ago. :smile:

Ah, that's okay - I'm terrible with social events anyway. I like snow! Not too fond of cold weather without pretty snow though.

Exeter doesn't look bad actually... My choices used to be Oxford, UCL, RHUL, Bristol, and York; however, I decided against the last two because I felt they weren't for me and I wouldn't be happy there. :| So I was looking for unis to fill the last two spots, I think I'll consider Exeter! Surrey and Nottingham are sort of tied as well, though I'm hoping to have a medium-risk uni... any you could suggest? :biggrin:

Which degree are you looking at? There's quite a range! The Applied psych looks quite good, actually. It still gives you the BPS accred. but it's more geared towards clin psych... :beard:

What do you know about the Flexible Combined Honours degree? It looks quite interesting, but I don't really know anything about it. Thanks! :smile: Exeter looks like a wonderful 4th choice.
:yes: I remember someone on this thread is doing the program at Bath, so it's best if you asked her (I think it was a her). Just search through the last few pages, it wasn't too long ago. :smile:

Ah, that's okay - I'm terrible with social events anyway. I like snow! Not too fond of cold weather without pretty snow though.

Exeter doesn't look bad actually... My choices used to be Oxford, UCL, RHUL, Bristol, and York; however, I decided against the last two because I felt they weren't for me and I wouldn't be happy there. :| So I was looking for unis to fill the last two spots, I think I'll consider Exeter! Surrey and Nottingham are sort of tied as well, though I'm hoping to have a medium-risk uni... any you could suggest? :biggrin:

Which degree are you looking at? There's quite a range! The Applied psych looks quite good, actually. It still gives you the BPS accred. but it's more geared towards clin psych... :beard:

What do you know about the Flexible Combined Honours degree? It looks quite interesting, but I don't really know anything about it. Thanks! :smile: Exeter looks like a wonderful 4th choice.

That would be me...I think, I'm at Bath doing Psych either way :smile:
How is KCL's psychology program? It's not very high-ranked, but I like the uni and of course the location. :wink:
How is KCL's psychology program? It's not very high-ranked, but I like the uni and of course the location. :wink:

KCL do psych!?
Original post by Noodlzzz
KCL do psych!?

I think most unis do :dontknow:
I think most unis do :dontknow:

Just checked, nope they don't. Neither do imperial or LSE which I was quite annoyed about when I applied.
Hi Newbie here! I have a couple of questions that I need answering to settle my mind a little :smile:. For background information I am studying Psychology, English and History at A2. In terms of predictions (results soon :s-smilie:) I am set for straight As in my ASs (dropping ICT).
Firstly I'm looking at Durham,York,Bristol and Exeter. But I am undecided on a insurance place; judging that Durham and York are my top choices could someone suggest a "good" ,similar in setting, insurance around ABB-BBB?
Secondly is to do with my PS. Right now I am waiting on my teacher to reply to see if he can sort me some Psych work experience; possibly a research analyst in some Cambridge project. Does work experience-which at the rate of his reply I may not be able to complete this summer and therefore not before UCAS- make much of a difference? (As I do read around the subject; currently reading V.S.Ramachandran's Phantoms in the Brain and have finished an Oliver Sacks novel and Human Memory by Alan Baddeley.)
Lastly, so far York is my top choice (yet to visit Durham ). However they have stated on admissions that: "most successful applicants will have two science subjects." I don't. If York is taking this stance I would suspect others do to, so do my choices of History and English lessen my chances? If they do, I do have a "long standing interest in science". If it was not for my school's stupid subject timetabling system I would have taken Biology at As. I got full marks at GCSE in Biology doing the triple science award with A,A in Chem and Physics. I have mentioned in my draft of my PS that I read the New Scientist journal, which I have been doing. Would York and Durham still be interested?
Work experience is not essential for psychology. Hardly anyone has experience specifically related, as it's so difficult to get!

As for the science subjects - I would maybe ask your referee to explain that you couldn't do biology. That might well help :smile: then maybe talk about more sciencey-related psychology. Please don't mention Oliver sachs - it's done to death! Human memory would be good, especially as baddeley is a lecturer in York :p:
Reply 116
Original post by Creeping Cucumber

Lastly, so far York is my top choice (yet to visit Durham ). However they have stated on admissions that: "most successful applicants will have two science subjects." I don't. If York is taking this stance I would suspect others do to, so do my choices of History and English lessen my chances? If they do, I do have a "long standing interest in science". If it was not for my school's stupid subject timetabling system I would have taken Biology at As. I got full marks at GCSE in Biology doing the triple science award with A,A in Chem and Physics. I have mentioned in my draft of my PS that I read the New Scientist journal, which I have been doing. Would York and Durham still be interested?

I've heard from quite a few people that the York psychology course is especially focused on the science aspect of the subject, and indeed they do put more emphasis on having science a levels, especially bio/chem/phys(/maths) - you may have more chance of getting an offer at other universities (however thats not to say you have no chance, if you're really keen then give it a shot! just make sure you apply to some places which don't seem so science-focused)
Reply 117
:

I was looking at just BSc Psychology really aha. Te flexible combined honours degree sounds really interesting, i don't really know much about it but it seems like one for independent people as you pick what you study right?

As for other unis, i've looked briefly at Nottingham (thumbs up from me) but haven't really done much research, and haven't looked at Surrey at all yet (its on my to do list!).
Have you considered Kent or Southampton? They're on my list to check out as well haha
I was looking at just BSc Psychology really aha. Te flexible combined honours degree sounds really interesting, i don't really know much about it but it seems like one for independent people as you pick what you study right?

As for other unis, i've looked briefly at Nottingham (thumbs up from me) but haven't really done much research, and haven't looked at Surrey at all yet (its on my to do list!).
Have you considered Kent or Southampton? They're on my list to check out as well haha

God I wish unis would just put their entry requirements on the front page, it's so annoying to click through so many pages. :mad:

Anyway... Kent doesn't look bad. :biggrin: Some of the Stage 3 modules sound like something I'd like to explore. Do you know if the course leans more towards the sciences or does it prefer the social psychology aspect? Southampton... looks kind of meh. :/

I'd still prefer something closer to London though. :frown:
Original post by xKTx
Work experience is not essential for psychology. Hardly anyone has experience specifically related, as it's so difficult to get!

As for the science subjects - I would maybe ask your referee to explain that you couldn't do biology. That might well help :smile: then maybe talk about more sciencey-related psychology. Please don't mention Oliver sachs - it's done to death! Human memory would be good, especially as baddeley is a lecturer in York :p:

Yeah I think that sounds the best way, thanks for the advice. I realized after a few days of reading the book and researching on here that it wasn't a great book for applicants :/. He's a lecturer from York ?, I'd rather not tailor it too obviously to one Uni; or would people not see it as being too much of a "brown-noser"?
Just generally would the focus on the science aspect of Psychology at York be too much for someone who hasn't taken one at A-level?

I've heard from quite a few people that the York psychology course is especially focused on the science aspect of the subject, and indeed they do put more emphasis on having science a levels, especially bio/chem/phys(/maths) - you may have more chance of getting an offer at other universities (however thats not to say you have no chance, if you're really keen then give it a shot! just make sure you apply to some places which don't seem so science-focused)

I have yet to visit Durham Bristol and Exeter, so naturally things can and most likely will change. Ok, in that case would you happen to know that the course at York would be to hard for a person that has not had the benefit of having an extra science?

Quick Reply

Latest