The Student Room Group

psych or eng lit a level

i really cant decide between taking psychology or english lit a levels, can someone who takes these subjects tell me about their experience/any pros and cons as I would be so grateful to hear!!

for reference I’m definitely taking bio and chem since I want to apply for med, but I don’t know what I should take for my third subject
Reply 1
Hii I don’t take either subject but I have friends who have taken either psychology or English lit and I would say more people did psychology and also preferred psychology. It’s also considered ‘better’ to have another science subject for med especially. Both of them are essay based but I know there is some maths in psychology and in English lit you have to do some sort of essay comparisons, not exactly sure how it works but definitely both are a step up from GCSE. But honestly whichever seems more interesting to you or if you preferred it at GCSE then go for it!
(edited 10 months ago)
i do edexcel english lit and it's pretty fun for the most part
but what you should do is as the experience of english lit is gonna vary between the school u go to, what u should do is go to ur english department and ask them or ask yr12s/13s what books/poetry you'll be doing
as i do metaphysical poetry etc. check the spec and see what type of literature ur most interested in and if you're english department is choosing a different path do psych

idk if what i said makes sense but
Original post by viatrix
i really cant decide between taking psychology or english lit a levels, can someone who takes these subjects tell me about their experience/any pros and cons as I would be so grateful to hear!!

for reference I’m definitely taking bio and chem since I want to apply for med, but I don’t know what I should take for my third subject

If you're taking Medicine, I'd also start thinking about Maths. BioCheMaths is basically the holy trinity of Medicine application A-Levels. You'll see almost every Medicine application doing those. I'm decently sure universities also consider Maths to be more telling of a student's prowess in the sciences than Psychology. However, if you're deadset on taking just those two, I'd go for Psychology; it's a well-liked and heavily subscribed-to subject at colleges and sixth forms.
Original post by viatrix

Psychology might be better for medicine, as it fits in better with your other 2.
Reply 5
Original post by viatrix

I want to apply for med, but I don’t know what I should take for my third subject

Pick the subject you will enjoy the most - because that will give you the best chance of an A grade.
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
Psychology might be better for medicine, as it fits in better with your other 2.

Unis are not interested in what you think 'fits' with other subjects
They want 'required' or 'preferred' subjects for that degree as stated on their course pages, and for anything non specified, a high grade.
Reply 7
Original post by Leppa001
I'm decently sure universities also consider Maths to be more telling of a student's prowess in the sciences than Psychology.

List of entry requirements for each UK Med school for 2023 entry - https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2951/entry-requirements-document-2023-entry.pdf

Universities do not look for 'prowess' or any other imaginary concepts.
They look for the 'required' or ' preferred' subjects as stated on the course page for that course at that Uni - and grades.

Quick Reply

Latest