The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology Unit 4 20th June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by romy999
Which format is it the best to remember them in:
Surname (Year) or just by Surname?

You really don't need to know names let alone dates!

I've got high 90s in the last 3 exams without mentioning many names, don't worry :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by 34689
I'm sure you have been told this but, if you can't apply the method to the context you can just write about the method and still get a good few marks!

Just use your common sense as well, I'm sure you'll be fine!

My teachers been really drilling in PET! i find the methods in context the hardest part of the paper, i need a good structure i think
Original post by JaiP
My teachers been really drilling in PET! i find the methods in context the hardest part of the paper, i need a good structure i think

PET? What does that stand for exactly?

Do you find it works?
I did my crime and deviance paper back in January.
I think we got it pretty good in terms of questions. I was dreading suicide coming up in methods in context. For my 33 mark it was the Science and Sociology debate so it wasn't so bad!

I'm resitting families and households tomorrow to pull up my UMS marks then I have to wait till June to take my Religion and culture exam!
Original post by Irishmonkey1992

Do you find it works?

Practical, ethical, theoretical.
Hit 3 advantages/disadvantages for each and you'll do fine =].
Original post by IamnotJessica
Practical, ethical, theoretical.
Hit 3 advantages/disadvantages for each and you'll do fine =].

I'm confused on how that is going to work for your theory? :s-smilie:
I'm confused on how that is going to work for your theory? :s-smilie:

It's for your methods in context question. It helps you apply the method to a hypothesis.
It's for your methods in context question. It helps you apply the method to a hypothesis.

I see... Is there a structure for the theory? lol
I see... Is there a structure for the theory? lol

I wish haha :biggrin:!
I don't think you should worry about theory. As long as you remember a few key concepts and thinkers you can stretch it out.

Good luck!!
Reply 29

Do you find it works?

Practical, theoretical and ethical limitatations/strengths. It does help, but i find having to think on your feet really hard, as they can give you any context in which crime could happen
I did my crime and deviance paper back in January.
I think we got it pretty good in terms of questions. I was dreading suicide coming up in methods in context. For my 33 mark it was the Science and Sociology debate so it wasn't so bad!

I'm resitting families and households tomorrow to pull up my UMS marks then I have to wait till June to take my Religion and culture exam!

Can you remember any other topics which came up in Jan?

Thanks
Original post by CHLOE_ROSE1993

Thanks

Hmm let see.

My 33 marker was basically the science v sociology argument.
So I used suicide methods and science theory (Falsifying and paradigms and what not) .

Flipping heck I can't think.
I remember writing about Jock Young and labeling theory but not specifics =| sorry.

I'm sure you'll be able to find the paper online though.

Oh wait, my methods question was to do with researching the treatment of people in prisons and I'm pretty sure it was either interview or questionnaire.

Sorry I'm a bit useless. I'm not quite sure we're on the same exam board anyway since your doing your exams at a different time from me =|. Just had a quick google and I can't find my paper online =[, maybe you'll have better luck?

Good luck anyway!
Reply 32
Original post by CHLOE_ROSE1993

Thanks

AQA SCLY4

1) Examine some of the factors that may contribute to people becoming victims of crime. (12 marks)

2) Using the Source and your own knowledge assess the usefulness of subcultural theory in explaining "subcultural crime and deviance" in society today. (21 marks)

3) Identify and explain 1 problem of using official statistics to measure the extent of green crime (3 marks)

4) Identify and briefly explain 2 advantages of using covert observation to study criminal gangs. (6 marks)

5) Using source and elsewhere examine the strengths and limitations of using written questionnaires as a means of investigating prisoners experience of imprisonment (15 marks)

6) Assess the view that positivist methods are inappropriate for investigating society. (33 marks)
Thankyou, such a big help!!
Original post by Noodlzzz
AQA SCLY4

1) Examine some of the factors that may contribute to people becoming victims of crime. (12 marks)

2) Using the Source and your own knowledge assess the usefulness of subcultural theory in explaining "subcultural crime and deviance" in society today. (21 marks)

3) Identify and explain 1 problem of using official statistics to measure the extent of green crime (3 marks)

4) Identify and briefly explain 2 advantages of using covert observation to study criminal gangs. (6 marks)

5) Using source and elsewhere examine the strengths and limitations of using written questionnaires as a means of investigating prisoners experience of imprisonment (15 marks)

6) Assess the view that positivist methods are inappropriate for investigating society. (33 marks)

That last essay was a doosey :frown:
Reply 35
Original post by TallulahStaple
I'm learning this independently too - teaching myself from books. My advice would be to forget the individual sociologists but you need to know their category (marxist etc) That's how I linked it in the other papers I did. I mean it's great if you can remember names, but there are just so many that I can't get them in my head!! The content is so much more important.

How are you teaching yourself? I'm literally sat there with some books on my tod!

Thanks for the advice, I think that would save a lot of time.

I'm doing pretty much the same, got my books, making notes, now narrowing to cue cards and testing myself. Just going to sort out my exam technique and all should be well hopefully.
Original post by romy999
Thanks for the advice, I think that would save a lot of time.

I'm doing pretty much the same, got my books, making notes, now narrowing to cue cards and testing myself. Just going to sort out my exam technique and all should be well hopefully.

Well good luck!!
I've still got A LOT to do. I probably shouldn't be on here really, I should be working.
Reply 37
any idea of what might come up in june so i no what to revise?
Reply 38

Original post by lubz
any idea of what might come up in june so i no what to revise?

suicide, realist theories and labelling theory hasnt come up yet!
Original post by chigzy29
suicide, realist theories and labelling theory hasnt come up yet!

Suicide came up in January and the Labelling Theory would have been included in Subcultural essay as well.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending