The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology Unit 4 20th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spammoclocks
I am feeling the drunkeness happening at like noon :smile:

I wish, i have psychology psy4. 9:40 tuesday morning. Fml.
Reply 781
This revision is killing me, I don't know what's worth concentrating on.

I barely have any notes on suicide, so if it comes up I may commit myself...
I am confident that the 33 mark essay will be a theory, rather than methods question.

Jan 2011 - Positivism
June 2010 - Research Methods
June 2009 - Feminism
Specimen Paper - Science
Original post by EmilyBrown
I wish, i have psychology psy4. 9:40 tuesday morning. Fml.

Boo to that :frown:
Original post by ilickbatteries
I am confident that the 33 mark essay will be a theory, rather than methods question.

Jan 2011 - Positivism
June 2009 - Feminism
Specimen Paper - Science

Cheers I've been looking at other predictions and they are mostlikely saying social policy? what do you think??? coz i would love for that to come up

Jan 2011 - Positivism
June 2009 - Feminism
Specimen Paper - Science

ah same brilliant!
i hope it is then :biggrin:
Reply 786
Original post by eve1293
Straight after the exam. If I haven't killed myself in the exam

Baechler's escapist suicide or or Taylor's submissive :tongue: (Shouldn't really joke about that kinna thing.)
:rolleyes:

Why don't AQA include ANY of that in their sodding book?

I feel really sorry for people who self-teach AQA A-Levels...they seem to assume people are taught things that they can ask about. Either that or the book does not fully reflect the spec

Couldn't agree more. That book barely mentions globalisation and then AQA drops in as a high mark question. Utterly ridiculous.
AH i am stressing out SO much right now!
there is so much, stilll need to do most of methods :frown:

anyone have a checklist of everything we need to know?
Original post by spammoclocks
Cheers I've been looking at other predictions and they are mostlikely saying social policy? what do you think??? coz i would love for that to come up

Social Policy would be okay, although AQA expect 33 marks from their social policy section which is little more than an afterword. It seems as if they expect you to know more than the specification, which is a little bit awkward as it's not always general knowledge they expect you to know, but actual sociological theory which should be taught from AQAs spec...

Original post by LiamTheKook
Couldn't agree more. That book barely mentions globalisation and then AQA drops in as a high mark question. Utterly ridiculous.

I can't stand AQA!

SCLY1 (Jan 2010) had a Marxism question in the family section.

Marxism is approx 2 paragraphs in the AQA book. Fortunately, our teacher taught us from her own notes from previous teachings, because we didn't use the AQA book in the first year, but it caught a lot of people out IIRC.
I AM ON THE VERGE OF SUICIDE
HATE HATE HATE THE AMOUNT OF CONTENT THERE IS

I have the 'Exclusively endorsed by AQA' Nelson Thornes Sociology book and there is less than two pages on Social Policy. If they put it as a 33 marker that's absoloutely ridiculous.

I'm hoping for Structure/Agency debate!
Reply 791
Original post by ainm
Baechler's escapist suicide or or Taylor's submissive :tongue: (Shouldn't really joke about that kinna thing.)

ah we need a joke when trying to cram revision
Hmm, I'm not sure, perhaps submissive :tongue:

When determining whether it was suicide or not I think Atkinson's 'location and circumstance' will play a huge part...especially if they see the exam paper in front of me
I very much doubt that globalisation will come up *touch wood*. In one of the practice papers I did, it was a 12 mark question. I think I'd be okayish if it did come up because my school made us do Global Development for the January exam.

But yeah, really hoping that the 33 marker is assessing how Marxism/functionalism has influenced sociology!
I can't stand AQA!

SCLY1 (Jan 2010) had a Marxism question in the family section.

Marxism is approx 2 paragraphs in the AQA book. Fortunately, our teacher taught us from her own notes from previous teachings, because we didn't use the AQA book in the first year, but it caught a lot of people out IIRC.

It'll be a fantastic feeling knowing after this exam I will (hopefully) never have to encounter them again.
Original post by eve1293
ah we need a joke when trying to cram revision
Hmm, I'm not sure, perhaps submissive :tongue:

When determining whether it was suicide or not I think Atkinson's 'location and circumstance' will play a huge part...especially if they see the exam paper in front of me

okay i know nothing about suicide :frown:
do you have any notes?
Original post by allaboutdrama
I AM ON THE VERGE OF SUICIDE
HATE HATE HATE THE AMOUNT OF CONTENT THERE IS

I have the 'Exclusively endorsed by AQA' Nelson Thornes Sociology book and there is less than two pages on Social Policy. If they put it as a 33 marker that's absoloutely ridiculous.

I'm hoping for Structure/Agency debate!

See, I didn't realise that there were different versions of AQA textbooks (as naive as it sounds). I think there should just be one so that everyone is learning exactly the same material.
so the theory and methods question is always 33 marks right?
Reply 797
Original post by Bubbles0ox
erm like how its set out

it was a 21 marker last summer i think :smile:

:frown: i have an exam tuesday then work at second job
work wed thursday and friday at first job

then saturday i can finalllyyyy enjoy mysely!

Me too - exam tomorrow (then cleaning motorhome for trip as of 2nd July - that will take a stupid amount of effort) then work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (and I get up at 5:15!) and revision for English Lang&Lit Friday - of which I've done none so far. Then I will finally be able to breathe!

7.1 - Functionalism, Marxism, Feminism

7.2 - Structure, Action, Weber, Methodological Individualism, Mead, Symbolic Interactionism, Dramaturgical Analogy, Labelling Theory, Ethnomethodology, Structure vs Action.

7.3 - Premodernity, Modernity, Postmodernity, Late Modernity, Second Modernity, Post-societal sociology

7.4 - Positivism, Interpretivism, Realism, Feminist Methodology, Methodological Cosmopolitanism

7.5 - Social Policy - See the model answer plan above - it's good, but AQA will expect elements from their own book too.

7.6 - Research methods - Pretty much everything

7.7 - Sociology is a science - Pos vs Int, Kuhn and Popper, Nat-sci

7.8 - Can sociology be value free - Pos, Weber, Ints, Becker, Giddens, Gomm, Goulding
Reply 799

Methods in context
psychological/biological theories
statistics and crime patterns
functionalism and crime
ecological theory
subcultural theory
labelling theory
postmodernism and crime
the media and deviancy amplification
marxism
globablisation
green crime