The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology Unit 4 20th June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
the only people that i remember is mead, durkheim and conte for sociology as a science.
messerschmidt for feminism.
young, bonger and chambliss for marxism/left realists.
merton, murray and wilson and kelling for right realists/new right.
atkinson, douglas and durkheim for suicide.

but those are the subjects i wasn't too sure on. do you think that'll be enough names?
i haven't got any for postmodernism :/
Original post by mac'x
I'm doing stratification! Im guessing mobility!

yes finally someone else!!

i pray its mobility - or gender!

i know the key studies oxford mobility/glass/saunder/scottish/essex and then changing patterns of mobility, i really need this to come up incase theory goes horribly wrong!

how is your revision going? x
Reply 982
Original post by Jordenfruitbat

Original post by Jordenfruitbat
This is the third time ive posted this now.... :tongue:

Social policies are laws that are created due to sociological research.

Giddens said that there are four main purposes of sociological research:

1) to understand the world
2) To show us the needs of people
3) to show what policies work and which ones dont
4) To increase our knowledge of ourselves + others

Some policies can be local some can be country wide.

The beveridge report was created in the 1940s to fix the "five social evils" want, diesease ignorance, squalor and idelness - The government created the welfare state because of these "social evils" one of the first social policies made.

Feminist social policies - LIke equal pay act + abortion are due to sociological research.

Marxists say that sociological studies are linked with capitalism so really social policies just promote capitalism and help the bourgeoisie - the rich are kept in power. Research is also funded by the government so it is corrupt and biased and is mainly used to discover whether capitalism works, politicans wont change social structure (like changing to communism) as they only care about maintaing the status quo. They say because of this social policies will never change society.

Radical feminists say social policies are useless because women's research will never be listened too as society is patriachal - women will never gain power and are kept down because people in power are men. Firestone said that partiachy needs to end to save lives.

Liberal feminists however say that social policies have changed society as they are paid equally and are supported by men because of sociological research.

Bauman a postmodernist said that socioogists need to make their studies known to policy makers because society is getting worse as they ignore the researchers.

Thats pretty much it.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by ilickbatteries
How many UMS do you need to get the grade you need for uni?

Don't you have like 240 UMS marks so far? You'd need like 80 UMS for an A, thats only 47 marks.

In fact, having worked it out, if someone needed 120/120 for an A*, they could quite comfortably get 120/120 by getting 25/33 on C&D, 25/33 on T&M and 17/24 on MIC.

Yeah, I need 76/120 UMS which works out around that, but at the moment that is looking doubtful - especially if full UMS students only need 65 or 70/120, and I haven't even revised all of it :frown:

My ideal paper would be Labelling Theories for 12marker, Suicide for 21 marker, Unstructured Interviews for Victims, Questionnaires for Police and Functionalism for the theory question <3 <3 <3 <3

In my dreams!
Reply 984
Has anyone got any studies that I can use for the Link with Crime and Deviance and Theory Methods please
Reply 985
Original post by TAyres
is anyone else in my shoes and not been taught social policy??

yeh I haven't been taught it so stressed but there are some really good notes on it a few pages back on here, so as long as I can remember them (doubtful) I might not lose all 33 marks.
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Yeah, I need 76/120 UMS which works out around that, but at the moment that is looking doubtful - especially if full UMS students only need 65 or 70/120, and I haven't even revised all of it :frown:

My ideal paper would be Labelling Theories for 12marker, Suicide for 21 marker, Unstructured Interviews for Victims, Questionnaires for Police and Functionalism for the theory question <3 <3 <3 <3

In my dreams!

That paper would be amazing. I think i nearly got a boner whilst reading that.
Reply 987
Original post by Rose02
Has anyone got any studies that I can use for the Link with Crime and Deviance and Theory Methods please

laboratory experiments -
bandura's doll.
zimbado's prison experiment?
Reply 988
Original post by emilyisbonkers
i am so worried about this.

Same there is every chance I may fail to answer a single question coherently, good luck for tomorrow though.
What do i actually need for an A?

Got 164 UMS points at AS, and 78 UMS points from my religion paper!
Original post by Rachel_Leah

In my dreams!

My teacher told me that at a conference for examiners/teachers for the sociology spec a few years ago that suicide would never be an essay question because its far too 'hard' - a lot of students apparently don't pick out the underlying question with suicide. On the surface it's just Durkheim, Baechler, Atkinson, Douglas and Taylor, contrasting and comparing them, and picking out evaluations, but apparently underneath that it's actually a question where you're supposed to discuss the differences in their theoretical perspectives, so positivist/realist for Durkheim, interpretivist for Douglas, phenomenological for Atkinson...dunno what Taylor and Baechler are. I think Baechler might be an interpretivist too.

However, things may have changed so don't take that as gospel.

I'd like

C&D

12 - The role of prisons

21 - Feminist

MIC - Anything, I don't mind

T&M

Consensus vs Conflict please :biggrin:
Original post by allaboutdrama
What do i actually need for an A?

Got 164 UMS points at AS, and 78 UMS points from my religion paper!

164+78=242/400

Leaves you needing 78/120 for 320/400 (A)

78/120 UMS was equal to 46/90 in June 2010.
I have a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig feeling that "punishment" may come up for crime and deviance.
My teacher nearly forgot to tell us it all together, but i feel that i WONT be a 21mark essay question as there just isn't enough (in my opinion) to do 12marks worth of evaluation.

Maybe it will be a "name 3 strengths of *certain* punishment to decrease crime"
Or something like that :tongue:
Original post by Rose02

In general? your looking at a long list of studies :/

Ok. I just wrote out every study name of each part of C + D and then reread your question...

Here goes again.

You have Jerry Jacobs who analysed 112 suicide notes - qualitative data.
You can use Sandra Walklate who used questionnaires in a victim survey
There is James Patrick who done a participant observation reseacrh into a criminal gang
You could use Zimbardo and his simulated prison experiment
You could use Durkheims study of suicide, who used official statistics.
Another example regarding covert observation is Dick Hobbs who befriended a detective.
Robb examined white collar crime using documents, reports of parliamentry committee's.
I don't have any studies for field experiments unfortunately :frown:
Umm and I think it was Hindelwang who used questionnaires to investigate offending rates of ethnic minority groups

i hope this helps :smile:
Original post by jayjay3rd
I have a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiig feeling that "punishment" may come up for crime and deviance.
My teacher nearly forgot to tell us it all together, but i feel that i WONT be a 21mark essay question as there just isn't enough (in my opinion) to do 12marks worth of evaluation.

Maybe it will be a "name 3 strengths of *certain* punishment to decrease crime"
Or something like that :tongue:

What 3 strengths would you use for using incapacitation punishment methods in crime?
I think that area that I will most struggle in is the theory in context.
Original post by ilickbatteries
My teacher told me that at a conference for examiners/teachers for the sociology spec a few years ago that suicide would never be an essay question because its far too 'hard' - a lot of students apparently don't pick out the underlying question with suicide. On the surface it's just Durkheim, Baechler, Atkinson, Douglas and Taylor, contrasting and comparing them, and picking out evaluations, but apparently underneath that it's actually a question where you're supposed to discuss the differences in their theoretical perspectives, so positivist/realist for Durkheim, interpretivist for Douglas, phenomenological for Atkinson...dunno what Taylor and Baechler are. I think Baechler might be an interpretivist too.

However, things may have changed so don't take that as gospel.

I'd like

C&D

12 - The role of prisons

21 - Feminist

MIC - Anything, I don't mind

T&M

Consensus vs Conflict please :biggrin:

That is brilliant about the suicide part. I was revising it today and only just realised that they were all from different theories. The role of prisons? Thats sounds very difficult :/

For MIC, you wouldnt mind if a secondary documents question came up? That would be a nightmare for me :frown: In fact I am going to revise it more now :/
Original post by daemongreen
What 3 strengths would you use for using incapacitation punishment methods in crime?

I dont actually know, thats the problem. I have NO notes on punishment, just like ONE SLIDE on powerpoint about it :frown:
Original post by jayjay3rd
I dont actually know, thats the problem. I have NO notes on punishment, just like ONE SLIDE on powerpoint about it :frown:

Actually, i think it would be something like

"removes them from soceity"
"protects members of society"
"Can rehabilitate some offenders"
Reply 999
would it be really bad if a suicide essay came up i just spoke about durkheim/douglas/taylor but not atkinson, information overload!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending