The Student Room Group

AS Edexcel History Unit 2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm doing this paper too.

On the 20 marks, only use source knowledge if it is relevant to the provenance of the source; otherwise you are wasting time.

On the 40 mark paper I think there are 16 marks for source use, just make sure to make your paragraphs based on different arguments supported by multiple sources, instead of doing one paragraph for one source.

And do a conclusion! :smile:
Original post by HillyG
I'm doing this paper too.

On the 20 marks, only use source knowledge if it is relevant to the provenance of the source; otherwise you are wasting time.

On the 40 mark paper I think there are 16 marks for source use, just make sure to make your paragraphs based on different arguments supported by multiple sources, instead of doing one paragraph for one source.

And do a conclusion! :smile:

Thanks, have you been told of the most likely things to come up in the exam ?
Reply 22
Original post by dosvidaniya
Thanks, have you been told of the most likely things to come up in the exam ?

No, but I think the January paper was on Anglo-Irish treaty and Gladstone's reforms. So maybe something to do with Parnell or Ulster. I guess we'll find out on thursday :smile:
Original post by yungt121
my teachers been stressing to me that there is more marks in using your own knowledge than the sources :confused:
there is 2 parts to it part A is only sources and worth 20 marks and part B which is worth 40 and there is more marks for own knowledge however you must use the sources and link them, thats what my teacher said :biggrin:

Ohh sorry, that's what I meant! :smile: In part B it's important to get a lot of own knowledge in, but in part A it's all about the sources...
Reply 24
Original post by somebodytoldmexo
Ohh sorry, that's what I meant! :smile: In part B it's important to get a lot of own knowledge in, but in part A it's all about the sources...

yep all cross referencing and that :biggrin:
Reply 25
Bump....Only looking for the Jan 2011 questions now though.
Does anyone know of any model answers for this exam ?
Reply 27
Original post by somebodytoldmexo

PART B
I've been told to introduce the evidence provided within the source and then support this evidence with my own knowledge.
BOTH
My teacher also suggested forming a judgement in line with the most evidenced argument within the sources.

I would also really appreciate any model answers, particularly for the Part A questions.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Just wondering how people are preparing for this exam which is on Thursday, as I haven't seen any posts for it :tongue:

Personally, I've typed up my notes into shorthand, am reading through past essays and going through the textbook analysing some of the sources.

I struggle more on section A as sometimes I don't actually cross-reference enough!
Reply 29
Hi,

I'm not doing the same exam as you but I am doing the same exam board. Mine is on British Political history 1945-90. On Thursday it will be my third time of doing this exam to try and improve my grade. Hopefully third time lucky! This is what I have learnt in my experience of the source-based exam:

General advice:
Answer the questions thematically, cross reference (look at similarities and differences), do not take the sources at face value, look at the validity of the source based on author and the date it was written.

For part A specifically: concentrate on the sources only, weigh up the evidence given and reach a conclusion which answers the question.

For part B specifically: let the sources drive your answer and then develop points and interrogate the claims made in the sources using your own knowledge. Don't fall into the trap of writing too much of your own knowledge as this is important but if you don't relate it to a source then you won't get very high marks.

Also make sure you annotate the sources as you read them and take the time to write a plan as this will help to make your argument stronger and organise your work.

Hope this helps! and good luck with your exam :smile:
Thanks a lot for the answers, I think last time I did this exam I probably didn't place enough attention on the sources for either question and thats probably why I lost a few marks. Man, I hope this exam is on Ulster or Parnell. I think I'd do better if these came up.
Reply 31
Has anyone got any good notes/information for the course of this?

My teacher has been absolutly useless on this side of the course and spent the whole year blabbing on about thinking differently and how to do sources (badly) and neglected the actual content so badly. All we have is a few odd sheets with spelling mistakes, conflicting information and the textbook which is pretty useless!

So know my exams on thursday morning and I have very little knowledge of the actual content which is needed to get above a D!!
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm also going through the textbook and looking at past essays.

Hopefully this exam shouldn't be too hard, as its basically sources with own knowledge for b)!

Any suggestions on what's likely to crop up?
Original post by footiemad786
Thnx for the notes. I have been looking everywhere for these n havent found them till now. They r really good! Will you be able to post the other ones soon?

Rest of my notes
:smile:
Question a I've been told to 'blag' as it's all about the sources.
There isn't like a good website I've found but I'm having a quick search now for myself, will let you know if I find a good one.
Reply 35
Got this exam on Thursday and don't really know what exactly to do. I know it is on the Crimean, Boer and WW1 but do all these topics come out and if so are they compulsory, also does anyone know what is likely to come up? I just finished the scheme last week and was told not to revise as much because it's not all knowledge based, now i'm not sure where to start :s:s
Reply 36
forgot to add that this is for the unit 2 exam
Original post by daizeee
Got this exam on Thursday and don't really know what exactly to do. I know it is on the Crimean, Boer and WW1 but do all these topics come out and if so are they compulsory, also does anyone know what is likely to come up? I just finished the scheme last week and was told not to revise as much because it's not all knowledge based, now i'm not sure where to start :s:s

From what I remember from last year, there's a compulsory sourced based question at the beginning for which you only need a very basic knowledge of what the sources are talking about, which might help you to recognise dates that may have influenced the authors of the sources. Then you have to compare the sources and evaluate how useful they are etc. This could be on any of the 3 topics.

The 2nd part is sources + own knowledge and I think there are 2 options for this part, which will be on 2 different wars.
Reply 38
So this exam is on thursday...what topic do people reckon will come up? I reckon Fall of Cromwell will...
Reply 39
Original post by Hammy1892
Has anyone got any good notes/information for the course of this?

My teacher has been absolutly useless on this side of the course and spent the whole year blabbing on about thinking differently and how to do sources (badly) and neglected the actual content so badly. All we have is a few odd sheets with spelling mistakes, conflicting information and the textbook which is pretty useless!

So know my exams on thursday morning and I have very little knowledge of the actual content which is needed to get above a D!!

This website may help you (don't know if it's the actual Option C topic you're doing, but thought I'll post it anyway)

http://fccexperienceofwarfare.blogspot.com/

Got how to do B questions etc so hope it helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending