The Student Room Group

Higher Maths Post Mortem thread

Thought I'd get this out here all shiny and ready for our tears and tantrums after the exam. Good luck everyone, let's hope those questions are good ones that we can actually do!!

Scroll to see replies

Post Mortem threads make me nervous, whenever I read them I always start doubting myself or getting paranoid about what I did during the exam! Walked back from Higher French, couldn't read more than a page of that post mortem without getting my panties in a bunch!
Reply 2
Paper 1 was great ... i felt quietly confident that I might get the A i had really, desperately hoped i would get.
Then ... paper 2. The last two pages I could barely answer any of. In paper 2 alone, I know that I have DEFINITELY dropped at least 26 marks - that's a hell of a lot. I think I did well enough to get a C, but not to get my A. I'm absolutely gutted.

Hope it went better for you lot!
Original post by rachiesy
Paper 1 was great ... i felt quietly confident that I might get the A i had really, desperately hoped i would get.
Then ... paper 2. The last two pages I could barely answer any of. In paper 2 alone, I know that I have DEFINITELY dropped at least 26 marks - that's a hell of a lot. I think I did well enough to get a C, but not to get my A. I'm absolutely gutted.

Hope it went better for you lot!

God no it didn't!

I agree, easy paper 1.
But paper 2 wtf!?

10 mark Integration
Followed quickly by a 7 mark trigonometric integration.
Followed by a 9 mark Problem Solving!?

Give me an extra half hour in that exam, I would have had that problem solving sorted. had gotten so far when my time ran out. Had established both radiuses, both centres, the distance between both centres, and that p had to be less than --108 for my radius expression to hold true.
But I did the integration, and did the 7 marker, did every other question in the paper.

****ing 2010, first English and now Maths! Why're we getting the harder papers!?
Reply 4
If anyone has the papers, and is able to scan and upload them, I would be very grateful. I forgot to take my papers away with me, but would like to try to work out which i would have got right/wrong, and estimate my grade.
Reply 5
mckinnon - sorry you found it difficult too :frown:
you got way further than me with the circle question though! i was trying to work out the discriminant, and my concluding statement was:

36<0

wtf? i am such a stupid ****ing idiot!!!!!
Reply 6
my answer for the final question was -13<=p<23
Reply 7
is it just me or have the exams been much harder this year
Reply 8
if anyone has paper 2, and is able to scan and upload it, i would be extremely grateful :biggrin:
Reply 9
So far so hard, hopefully maths boundary is about 97 marks for an A otherwise i'm screwed
Paper 1 was perfect, all of it was very easy IMO. looking for high 60's from it.
Paper 2 started out okay, the last 3 were tricky i thought. I didn't manage to get an answer for the find t thing, the last question i got it to: -23<p<13.
Integration one i got 15.42, though i think i've done it wrong. Going to check over the whole paper now..
EASY PAPER 1?! What the **** is wrong with you all?! That stationary points question was an absolute bitch, nobody I spoke to got a normal answer, it was completely messed up. Paper 2, the integration question was horrendous, I couldn't remember how to integrate that for the life of me. It is safe to say that the A I wanted has flown very, very far out of the window and has colonised on another planet.
Didn't realise that the log question was to do with the straight line till we were told to stop writing. Gutted.

Messed up 6b and definetily got p<13 but not too sure on the -23 part.

Messed that up; no A for me. I need a new life plan. *sobs*

I myself wouldn't say paper 1 was easy in fact many of the questions were very different from the normal paper 1 IMO.
Original post by mwellno1
is it just me or have the exams been much harder this year

Definitely! What was with all those massive mark questions? This isn't 1992! Our teacher always went on about how they tried to split up the questions now so everyone could do a bit of it even if they couldn't get to the A grade stuff, but 10 mark, 9 mark, 8 mark questions?! WHAT?!

SQA, I despise you, rest assured that I will find you and burn the damn place to the ground if I get a B or less.
Original post by Somerandomstudent
Didn't realise that the log question was to do with the straight line till we were told to stop writing. Gutted.

Messed up 6b and definetily got p<13 but not too sure on the -23 part.

Messed that up; no A for me. I need a new life plan. *sobs*

Awww. :hugs: Same here. Don't worry, we can find new life plans together. I think I'll just go "Screw central heating" and become a failed actress/writer. :lol: Grrr. I hate my life.
did anyone get 77.55 for the integration 10 marker???
Original post by NaturalDisaster
EASY PAPER 1?! What the **** is wrong with you all?! That stationary points question was an absolute bitch, nobody I spoke to got a normal answer, it was completely messed up. Paper 2, the integration question was horrendous, I couldn't remember how to integrate that for the life of me. It is safe to say that the A I wanted has flown very, very far out of the window and has colonised on another planet.

i got stationary points of 1/3, 1 and -1

so did a lot of the people i spoke to.

Just a normal question i thought
Original post by NaturalDisaster
Definitely! What was with all those massive mark questions? This isn't 1992! Our teacher always went on about how they tried to split up the questions now so everyone could do a bit of it even if they couldn't get to the A grade stuff, but 10 mark, 9 mark, 8 mark questions?! WHAT?!

SQA, I despise you, rest assured that I will find you and burn the damn place to the ground if I get a B or less.

I will happily join you. The large marked questions were estremely unfair and the split up some of the smaller questions that didn't need split up.

The SQA is a very "special" group of people.
Original post by Derry Rhumba
i got stationary points of 1/3, 1 and -1

so did a lot of the people i spoke to.

Just a normal question i thought

It was a cubic function therefore there were only two sp's. I think you are talking about the x intercept.
I thought they gave me the advanced higher paper 2?

LAst page was absolutely ridiculous. I couldn't even begin the 5 marker = 5 marks lost

7 marker, not a slightest of clue = 7 marks lost

9 marker, you having a joke? i rattled a few things done = about 6 lost..

18 marks down the drain. I was hoping for an A, but now my hopes are set on a B.

Damn you SQA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending