The Student Room Group

Should I change from a 3 to a 4 year computer science course?

Hi,

Currently i'm a second year student of computer science at Warwick, on the 4 year MEng course. I'm considering changing to the 3 year BSc instead.

Sooo... job wise, happiness etc... What are your thoughts and opinions?

Original post by Jonno_
Hi,

Currently i'm a second year student of computer science at Warwick, on the 4 year MEng course. I'm considering changing to the 3 year BSc instead.

Sooo... job wise, happiness etc... What are your thoughts and opinions?

Your title and description are contradictory? And I think really its your decision. If you're enjoying the course then you could go for the 4 years. If you're short of money and feel like getting a job then go for the 3 years. But ultimately is your choice!
Reply 2
I would recommend you doing it, and even if later you wanted to get a Masters you can get a postgraduate MSc, not an undergraduate MEng.
I wouldn't do it. Employers do respect the MEng, the people in my class who did the 4 years got better jobs than those who did the 3.
Reply 4
Original post by TheQueenOfComputerScience
I wouldn't do it. Employers do respect the MEng, the people in my class who did the 4 years got better jobs than those who did the 3.

Slightly off-topic but what if you did, say, a BSc and an MSc right after it?
Original post by Dreizhen

Its probably better respected than doing just the MEng but will cost more. Either way I would advise trying to do some kind of masters as it does give access to the better jobs in CS.
Reply 6

BSc + MSc is better than MEng, both from industrial and research perspective. It might slightly cost more, and a bit more difficult to do but it's worth it and won't take much more time.
Reply 7
Ah, that is cool. Was planning to do a Year in Industry to (at least partly) fund an MSc. Here's hoping it works out.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending