The Student Room Group

Would you rather do an A level in Chemistry or Physics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Chemistry...i dont do physics..
but chemistry is fun...but hard...but in the end its so worth it! :smile:
i have my unit 2 exam on friday eekkk
If you're applying to university, chemistry is a better choice than physics, unless you're doing a physics degree, but I'd pick both if I were you.
Physics. Chemistry is a lot more open-ended, and they could ask you a larger variety of questions. With Physics, everything comes down to a few simple rules that are simply expanded on :smile:
Original post by Ari Ben Canaan
How exactly is that so ?

I made two assertions, about which are you inquiring? Judging by your sig, I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and go with the second.

Physics describes the fundamental nature and universal laws of reality, chemistry is merely a reflection of those laws. Elements behave the way they do because of the laws of quantum mechanics. Humans separate the sciences for convenience, but in reality there are no such distinctions.
Original post by A level Az
If you're applying to university, chemistry is a better choice than physics, unless you're doing a physics degree, but I'd pick both if I were you.

Why do you think it's a better choice?
I love love love Chemistry!!! =D its my favourite subject and both physics and chemistry are classed along with maths as the hardest A levels, so i think they are all rated highly by universities!

I do chemistry and biology cuz i never like physics much :smile:
Original post by rei dos reis
Why do you think it's a better choice?

Well, in a way its like halfway between Biology and Physics, and this is why students with Chemistry and Mathematics still get into medicine without Biology, or students with Chemistry and Mathematics still get into engineering with Physics (I got all my offers for engineering this year and I had a D at AS physics).

Furthermore, highly respected courses such as Natural Sciences at Cambridge incorporate all four aspects of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and if you are studying Chemistry you are able to apply for both Biological Natural Sciences or Physical Natural Sciences, albeit at a disadvantage, but students have still got in. This for me shows that even top universities like Cambridge consider Chemistry as possibly a harder subject, or a better subject in some way.

It just seems to be a more well rounded course which is why universities seem to regard it higher (from what I've seen).
(edited 12 years ago)
Chemistry: it's an interesting subject, I wouldn't say I am excellent at it, but I am very good in some areas. I have chosen it as an option next year because I am doing Biology: my favourite science, and indeed, one of my favourite subjects; and I didn't see the point of doing it alone without Chemistry; in fact, everyone was like ''what's the point of doing biology without chemistry?'' so I decided to take the plunge and go ahead with it (though, I might swap chemistry for something else at my enrolment day as I want to do law, so it's not a matter of trying to keep my options open any more, plus I am worried I will basically not do very well, or it will mean I spend a lot of time focusing on it, and as a result, do crap at the other subjects).

Physics is a very interesting subject which requires a lot of logic: about 90% of it requires logic, whilst chemistry requires about 50% logic and 50% memorising. It's a very challenging subject and requires commitment and sometimes patience. It's perhaps my weakest science, and I tend to find it difficult to conceptualise the formulas or indeed, put them into practice.
Well, in a way its like halfway between Biology and Physics, and this is why students with Chemistry and Mathematics still get into medicine without Biology, or students with Chemistry and Mathematics still get into engineering with Physics (I got all my offers for engineering this year and I had a D at AS physics).

Furthermore, highly respected courses such as Natural Sciences at Cambridge incorporate all four aspects of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology, and if you are studying Chemistry you are able to apply for both Biological Natural Sciences or Physical Natural Sciences, albeit at a disadvantage, but students have still got in. This for me shows that even top universities like Cambridge consider Chemistry as possibly a harder subject, or a better subject in some way.

It just seems to be a more well rounded course which is why universities seem to regard it higher (from what I've seen).

You're most likely an exception tbh, because the Engineering courses that I looked up all asked for an A in A Level Physics. Was it chemical engineering you applied for? And Cam Natsci applicants are at no disadvantage when applying without either Chemistry or physics, although the options available for further studies in the course are of course limited without the relevant A Levels.
Original post by Straight up G
My intuition.

I just feel that Chemistry is more useful over a wider range of subjects, and ever so slightly more respected (though Physics is very highly respected).

I pretty much agree with you to be honest. A level Chemistry is probably more technical and in depth than A level physics, but into degree level, I don't believe chemistry is in any way more respected than Physics.

Excluding application into the pure sciences as university, chemistry is probably the most respected, followed by physics (only just slightly though). :colone:
Reply 50
Came here expecting a poll! There was no poll... :frown:

(physics :wink: )
Original post by Awesomesauce
I pretty much agree with you to be honest. A level Chemistry is probably more technical and in depth than A level physics, but into degree level, I don't believe chemistry is in any way more respected than Physics.

Excluding application into the pure sciences as university, chemistry is probably the most respected, followed by physics (only just slightly though). :colone:

Yes of course. At Degree level, Chemistry is far less respected compared to Physics, because it is at Degree level where you really see the true face of Physics, rather than the dumbed-down slimmed up version that we had to endure at GCSE and A Level.

But for applications into University, across all subjects, I just get the feeling that Chemistry is ever so slightly more respected, so yeah.
You're most likely an exception tbh, because the Engineering courses that I looked up all asked for an A in A Level Physics. Was it chemical engineering you applied for? And Cam Natsci applicants are at no disadvantage when applying without either Chemistry or physics, although the options available for further studies in the course are of course limited without the relevant A Levels.

Nottingham/Manchester/UCL/Exeter/Warwick all gave me an offer for Mechanical/General Engineering, and they aren't low ranked universities. Not taking the offers anyway but still :tongue:

And Cam NatSci applicants who do not have 3 subjects from Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology are at a disadvantage, and since Mathematics is almost essential it really is a choice between taking 3 sciences or just two. Choosing 2/3 obviously means you need one of Chemistry or Physics.
Reply 53
Paper 4? Do you mean the A2 structured question paper for CIE?

yeah i'm doing that, are we talking about a different A2, you talking about edxcel?if yes then:colondollar:
Original post by patsseh
yeah i'm doing that, are we talking about a different A2, you talking about edxcel?if yes then:colondollar:

I'm talking about Cambridge International Exams, I'm not sure they have a paper 4 in Edexcel just modules/units, could be wrong.
(edited 12 years ago)
Nottingham/Manchester/UCL/Exeter/Warwick all gave me an offer for Mechanical/General Engineering, and they aren't low ranked universities. Not taking the offers anyway but still :tongue:

And Cam NatSci applicants who do not have 3 subjects from Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Biology are at a disadvantage, and since Mathematics is almost essential it really is a choice between taking 3 sciences or just two. Choosing 2/3 obviously means you need one of Chemistry or Physics.

Oh, but UCL and Warwick explicitly say they require Physics for Meng?

Yeah that's what I meant :biggrin:.
Reply 56
Original post by umaird
physics, it is way easier than chemistry.
in chemistry you have to remember a lot of stuff, whereas in physics its all logic.

i would say it depends on the person.. some people enjoy chemistry more than physics..

this
I do both at AS, and I'd say I prefer chemistry. Don't know why I just think it's more interesting - feels more real. Maybe it's just what we're covering in physics at the moment, but I don't see how knowing about photon diffraction will apply to anything I really want to do. Plus physics involves a lot of maths, and while I can do maths I don't particularly enjoy it.

You get to play with chemicals in chemistry which is cool if you like explosions and setting fire to things, although a lot of reactions only involve a colour change. Also, physics is a bit of a sausage-fest if I'm being honest, there are 3 girls in our class of 16.

Of course, these are my personal opinions and everyone is different. If you like maths and cars and aeroplanes then take physics, if you like the environment and playing with chemicals take chemistry.

Both are awesome though, so if you're thinking of taking both I'd highly recommend it. :biggrin:
Reply 58
i do both and am in my AS year im going to take them both to A2 i think they are both equally hard but physics is a bit more interesting an chemistry is technical
i prefer physics but i know deep inside i love chemistry :h:
Doing both and prefer chemistry by far - also going to do a degree in chemistry next year.

Physics is better if you prefer maths since that's basically what it is in AS - second year is more interesting but still endless maths; chemistry is more practical and you constantly build and improve on knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending