The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

I want do BEng in UCl but Im not sure if they would consider me with GCSE-1A* 7As 2Bs
AS Span-A AS Maths-B As CHemistry-B AS physics-C AS french -E so I got ABBCE my physics was low because of my french which was of waste of time so i dropped it and I am conifident of hgetting A*(maths)AAB
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by razmazterz
I want do BEng in UCl but Im not sure if they would consider me with GCSE-1A* 7As 2Bs
AS Span-A AS Maths-B As CHemistry-B AS physics-C AS french -E so I got ABBCE my physics was low because of my french which was of waste of time so i dropped it and I am conifident of hgetting A*(maths)AAB

So anyone think its worth applying to UCLL??

What have you been predicted?
Original post by Beth1234
What have you been predicted?

My teachers are predicting me lower to be on the safer side but I am trying to convince them thats not thw right thing since I know Im capable and know I have so much more time doing 4 instead of 5
A -spanish
B-Maths
B-Physics
A-Chemistry
My teachers are predicting me lower to be on the safer side but I am trying to convince them thats not thw right thing since I know Im capable and know I have so much more time doing 4 instead of 5
A -spanish
B-Maths
B-Physics
A-Chemistry

And the subject you are applying for? What do they want?
And the subject you are applying for? What do they want?

I amm applying for engineering in which they want AAB(including maths and physics)
I amm applying for engineering in which they want AAB(including maths and physics)

Well, your situation is precarious enough judging by your predicted grades - it is a well known fact that schools are far more likely to predict high than low. So the fact that your school will not predict you at least an A in maths or physics is enough to warrant an immediate rejection, to be honest. Your predicted grades, and your achieved grades all indicate that maths/physics isn't your best/favourite subject, which again is not a good sign. UCL is a competitive university; if your predicted grades don't meet their requirements, then you'd pretty much be waiting for a rejection. I had several friends who were predicted A's in maths, but as their courses wanted A*s, they were rejected immediately. Your GCSE's are average at best, so they don't back you up much either.

If you are certain that you can meet your self-prediction of A*AAB, then you should speak to your school and get your predicted grades up. Preferably you should get yourself predicted AA in maths and physics - an A* in maths could be hard to believe.

I'm sorry if that came across as harsh. If you can get your predicted grades up to AAAA or AAAB, then you'd certainly stand a chance. Make sure it's your most demanding choice though, and that you have some good back ups lined up - then cross your fingers, and see where it all goes! :smile:

EDIT: And also - make sure your reference and personal statement are top notch - the PS Helpers on TSR are wonderful in this respect! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
How important are predicted grades in a relative scale from 1-10 if youre applying to UCL

I've read in places it's the first thing they look at.
Well, your situation is precarious enough judging by your predicted grades - it is a well known fact that schools are far more likely to predict high than low. So the fact that your school will not predict you at least an A in maths or physics is enough to warrant an immediate rejection, to be honest. Your predicted grades, and your achieved grades all indicate that maths/physics isn't your best/favourite subject, which again is not a good sign. UCL is a competitive university; if your predicted grades don't meet their requirements, then you'd pretty much be waiting for a rejection. I had several friends who were predicted A's in maths, but as their courses wanted A*s, they were rejected immediately. Your GCSE's are average at best, so they don't back you up much either.

If you are certain that you can meet your self-prediction of A*AAB, then you should speak to your school and get your predicted grades up. Preferably you should get yourself predicted AA in maths and physics - an A* in maths could be hard to believe.

I'm sorry if that came across as harsh. If you can get your predicted grades up to AAAA or AAAB, then you'd certainly stand a chance. Make sure it's your most demanding choice though, and that you have some good back ups lined up - then cross your fingers, and see where it all goes! :smile:

EDIT: And also - make sure your reference and personal statement are top notch - the PS Helpers on TSR are wonderful in this respect! :biggrin:

Thank Youu for your information :smile:My school is way different and have a different mentality I hate it :angry: One last thing you seeI actually love maths and physics thats why I am doing enginnering for a point but I havnt demonstrated that grade wise but I know this year everything is going to change Thank You againn :biggrin: Ill let you know what my school says
Original post by snow leopard
I've read in places it's the first thing they look at.

GULP
Original post by desy.kris
GULP

Didn't get stellar UMS at AS but have predictions that match UCL's requirements, so actually I think it's a good thing in my case. But don't worry!!! I'm sure most unis understand that it's difficult for (state) schools to give out A* predictions. An A should suffice :biggrin:
Original post by snow leopard
Didn't get stellar UMS at AS but have predictions that match UCL's requirements, so actually I think it's a good thing in my case. But don't worry!!! I'm sure most unis understand that it's difficult for (state) schools to give out A* predictions. An A should suffice :biggrin:

problem is... I don't even know my predictions :frown: I'm taking IB btw. I'm confident with my daily performance at school but idk if my teachers are confident enough with me and are giving me good predictions >.<
when are biomedical science offers usually given out in UCL? does it matter if you apply to medicine too?
Reply 393
problem is... I don't even know my predictions :frown: I'm taking IB btw. I'm confident with my daily performance at school but idk if my teachers are confident enough with me and are giving me good predictions >.<

Ask them? I asked mine and they told me. :smile:
I've applied for Neuroscience at UCL. Has anyone had invites to interviews or open days yet?
Original post by D0LLxo
I'm applying for psychology as well :biggrin:
What subjects do you do?
I've sent my application off and haven't stopped worrying since the moment I sent it off lol.

Awesome, Best of Luck! Sending my UCAS off tomorrow night :smile: I take Maths, Psychology, Sociology, and Media Studies. What about you?
I'd appreciate the courage :biggrin: good luck! think positively, if your PS and reference are awesome, who knows maybe they will invite you to an interview first and if you're good they might give you a conditional offer! anything is possible :smile:

Thank you so much! I REALLY hope so, though I actually want to go to Royal Holloway University. My referee is my form tutor and teaches me in my other two subjects (coincidence) and he said that I have a really good reference and my PS is (I think) good enough... Is it true that if we send it off early, we are more likely to get offers than if we send it off say in Novemeber??
Hey everyone! I'm applying for Law at UCL (obviously...), Nottingham, Sheffield, Birmingham and, somewhat optimistically Oxford! Predicted A*AA, achieved AAABB at AS and 1A*, 6As and 4Bs at GCSE. Let me know if there are any other potential lawyers out there!
Original post by chiggy321
Hey everyone! I'm applying for Law at UCL (obviously...), Nottingham, Sheffield, Birmingham and, somewhat optimistically Oxford! Predicted A*AA, achieved AAABB at AS and 1A*, 6As and 4Bs at GCSE. Let me know if there are any other potential lawyers out there!

I'm also applying for Law at UCL! :smile: Have you taken the LNAT yet?
Yay! I just received a confirmation email from UCL! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending