The Student Room Group
b_lineaddict
... alot of people say it dont matter what degree you get as long as its a good result. So, to see if this is true, im asking this to all grads who read this. When did you graduate? Which uni did you graduate from? What did you graduate in? What are you doing now?

Graduated 2002 from St Andrews with an MChem (Hons) in chemistry with advanced chemistry (First class). I'm now in the final year of my PhD at the University of Nottingham.
In 2005 from the University of York with a 2:1 MMath in mathematics.

I'm now doing a Secondary Maths PGCE at York Uni.
Reply 3
2:1 Economics, University of Newcastle.

Currently doing LPC. Start training contract with US law firm in London in September (deferred for a year).
Reply 4
2.1 Hons, American (US) Studies, University of Essex (2005)

Currently a Media Management Operator at the BBC.
Reply 5
schmeeble
2.1 Hons, American (US) Studies, University of Essex (2005)

Currently a Media Management Operator at the BBC.

wow that sounds really interesting. What does it involve?? How did you land that with a degree in American studies...as far as i know, its got nothing to do with media??
Reply 6
Look at Sig :smile:
Reply 7
Graduated June 2005 from Cambridge with a BA in Mathematics.

I'm now still at Cambridge, doing more Maths! :smile:
Reply 8
Wrangler
Graduated June 2005 from Cambridge with a BA in Mathematics.

I'm now still at Cambridge, doing more Maths! :smile:

graduated in 2004 with a 1st in Sports Therapy from University of Hertfordshire. Now a 1st year physiotherapy student at SGUL
Reply 9
graduated 2002 with upper second BSc (hons) Animal Science at Newcastle.
About to start an Msc in Physiotherapy in 3 weeks!!!!!!!!
Reply 10
b_lineaddict
wow that sounds really interesting. What does it involve?? How did you land that with a degree in American studies...as far as i know, its got nothing to do with media??

Basically I and the rest of the team i work with are responisble for making sure you get all of your television programmes across BBC1,2,3 and 4 also we deal with BBC World, Prime (South Africa) and Food (which goes to the Scandinavian countries). We get all of the programmes on tape, and then we 'ingest' them onto a server so they can then be transmitted. We also have to QC (quality control) the programmes which means checking the sound levels, picture quality, in and out points of a programme and aspect ratio. I also do a little bit of recording, for exanple there might be a live programme such as Strictly Come Dancing and we need to record it so that Creative Services can make trails for the following weeks programme, so i record programmes down a line from the Studio.

How did i get it? NOt quite sure. Lots of people going into the media with a degree in American Studies cos it's so varied. I also did an internship with Voice of America Television for 3 months whilst i was in the US on my year abroad, which probably helped a little. I did lots of research when i was applying for the job and also went to visit where i would be working before i had my interview so i could be as clued up as possible...

i got the job 2 days after my interview.
:eek: it's scary how many of you have gone on to further study, how many of you anticipated it before you started your degree?
Exactly the same as Wrangler (we know each other :p: )
gianthead
how many of you anticipated it before you started your degree?
I hadn't even been thinking about doing a PhD till part of the way through my 3rd year when I'd finished a course in Quantum Mechanics I really liked. That made me want to stay on to do my 4th year, and this year is specifically tailored to prepare people to go into research. Until my 3rd year I'd always planned to do 3 years and leave.
Reply 13
Graduated 2004 with BSc (Hons) Combined Honours Biology and Materials Science from Manchester Met. As my sig says I am back at MMU doing an MSc in Conservation Biology and looking to apply for a PhD as I found I won't be able to teach secondary science.

I never in my life thought I would ever go above PGCE level
Reply 14
gianthead
:eek: it's scary how many of you have gone on to further study, how many of you anticipated it before you started your degree?

Of course, having the thread in a postgrad forum is going to give you a significantly higher proportion of grads doing postgrad study.... :smile:

You can see what I did/am doing in my sig.

I guess, I always thought at school that it was quite likely I'd do postgrad study. Then, having worked very hard all through school, I went a bit mad at Cambridge with the freedom of it, spent all my time in theatres, and did very little work. So I kind of got disillusioned with the whole academic thing and thought I'd just get a job. But I took a year out and really missed studying. So here I am, and hoping to do a PhD (though probably after another year out, as I'm never going to make that 15th jan deadline for apps, *sigh*.)

Latest

Trending

Trending