The Student Room Group

Benefits of a IT Graduate Program

Hey guys I made my first application for a graduate program in IT. It starts in September can anyone tell me please the purpose of a graduate program and what can I expect as well as the benefits of it upon completing it thank you :smile:.
Reply 1
There are a lot of differences between a grad scheme and an entry-level job. In a short description, grad schemes are very structured compared to entry jobs. Usually, especially if you apply to something like a software engineering grad scheme, they will rotate you between positions to get you to learn as much as possible (you will probably do front-end for like six months and then do back-end for another six months). Whereas in an entry-level job, you would probably just work in back-end and not really learn/move positions that much.

In terms of benefits in a grad scheme, you are guaranteed a pretty substantial raise in pay after one year, as well as the added benefit of working in an environment that allows you to learn a wide diversity of skills.
Original post by migsuri
There are a lot of differences between a grad scheme and an entry-level job. In a short description, grad schemes are very structured compared to entry jobs. Usually, especially if you apply to something like a software engineering grad scheme, they will rotate you between positions to get you to learn as much as possible (you will probably do front-end for like six months and then do back-end for another six months). Whereas in an entry-level job, you would probably just work in back-end and not really learn/move positions that much.

In terms of benefits in a grad scheme, you are guaranteed a pretty substantial raise in pay after one year, as well as the added benefit of working in an environment that allows you to learn a wide diversity of skills.

Let’s hope I get in
Reply 3
Original post by Mohammed_80
Let’s hope I get in

Best of luck!

I also highly recommend not waiting to hear back from each company as most tend not to reply often, or the positions are highly competitive and get filled up quickly. The key is finding a sector you are interested in and applying to a lot of different places you find interesting!
Original post by migsuri
Best of luck!

I also highly recommend not waiting to hear back from each company as most tend not to reply often, or the positions are highly competitive and get filled up quickly. The key is finding a sector you are interested in and applying to a lot of different places you find interesting!

I find IT Support interesting but opportunities hard to come by…

Quick Reply

Latest