The Student Room Group

What is the rationale behind giving grants to poorer students?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by x=o
children who come from households who earn under, for example, 10k a year, have "no idea how lucky they are" compared to those whose families earn 50k per year? just because they get a few extra £ thrown their way that they don't have to pay back? i think you need to stop being bitter and get a grip.

it's your parents choice to spend their money on something other than financing you through university, not the government's fault they don't see it a worthy cause. at least your parents are afforded the choice of where to spend their hefty salaries :wink:

The parents are afforded the choice, the children are not. Nobody in the country should be punished for their parents choices. If that was a just thing to do, you could punish poor people by saying their parents had a choice to earn more in their life?
I am arguing that everyone should have access to HE, I cannot really see how anyone can disagree.

You may stop calling me bitter now.
Original post by Fallen
Firstly I would like to make it absolutely clear that I support loans for students, all students, sufficient to cover the cost of their living, fees, books, etc. I think we all agree that higher education is a right for all citizens, regardless of your financial means.

However I am unsure on what the argument in favour of giving grants (i.e. money which does not have to be paid back) to students from poorer backgrounds.
I mean, at what point should parents' incomes cease to matter? Why should a 23 year old have to pay less money back because their parents earn less, when you only pay the money back when you are earning over a certain threshold (~21k I believe).

I am more than willing to be persuaded, I have just never heard an argument as to why it should be the case.

Votes
Original post by x=o
whining and your parents are on 50k a year -- i think someone needs to get a grip. you've got no idea how fortunate you are compared with students who actually live in poverty.

it's your parents' choice to spend their money on nursing home costs, no reason the government should subsidise you when your parents are making a killing :wink:

Ah right, so if it were your Grandad you'd let him just die, would you?

As I said to the poster who also quoted me, the tax is crippling, we're in debt up to our eyeballs because of costs before he got the job, and the nursing home isn't cheap.

I think you need to get a grip if you think that every situation is as simple as black and white.
Reply 83
Original post by gradjobplease
Because if a poor student has managed to get to university who has overcome anyone of

Poor/Non existent Parenting
Poor Nutrition
Poor School
Poor Disruptive School Environment
No access to reading materials at home
No sense of "learning is important" instilled in them
Classmates telling them they're wasting their time

Then it might be a ****ing miracle they got to uni in the 1st place? And to think you'd deny them the money to live on at uni. The maintenance loan pretty much covers your accomodation/gas/electricity/internet/transport thats it.

That answer your question?

As I said, I completely support loans sufficient to cover every conceivable cost incurred while studying and living at university. It is money which does not need to be paid back I do not understand.

And people who have suffered those things (who are a small minority of those who want to go to university) have done exceptionally well for themselves. If they take a loan and go through university, they will have the same opportunity as anyone else. If they get a fantastic graduate job why should they not be liable to pay the state back from the bill they racked up while at university?
If they fail their degree/do not make much money after leaving university, they will still not be liable to pay it until their are making enough money to do so.

Most people eligible for grants have not had such a poor upbringing. They exist, and should have full support, but it is not like everyone who is eligable for grants has suffered that.
Original post by x=o
wow...you are an utter simpleton. you do appreciate that those who receive grants have not only emerged from an appalling state school system, but then still have to work part-time to make ends meet at university, don't you?

You are a simpleton - people on 50K get ****ed from all directions - high taxes and none of the support that poorer students get. My family have no free cash and earn around about £50,000 - I also went to a state school. I don't know what planet you live on, but a family earning 50K and especially those who live in the S. East of England are absolutely not rolling in it.
Original post by Cyanohydrin

No, you have just hammered out an overly emotional response without actually reading what the OP said.

Right, so the Government can afford to support loans to cover everyone? Is that what you're saying, how much do you think that would cost exactly?

Should the Government pay for the highest level of accomodation at a University for example? If you're going to act high and mighty, think through your posts.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Ah right, so if it were your Grandad you'd let him just die, would you?

As I said to the poster who also quoted me, the tax is crippling, we're in debt up to our eyeballs because of costs before he got the job, and the nursing home isn't cheap.

I think you need to get a grip if you think that every situation is as simple as black and white.

My family are in a similar situation - both are teachers in the home counties and on around-ish £50,000 - they can afford to give me about £400-500 per year. They had actually made provisions for my future living costs but due to all my surviving grandparents becoming ill and requiring essentially 24 hour care and the cost of buying & maintaining a respectable family home in Surrey mean that free cash is about as abundant as snow in Saudi Arabia.

Original post by gradjobplease
Right, so the Government can afford to support loans to cover everyone? Is that what you're saying, how much do you think that would cost exactly?

The current system is simply not fair. Why should somebody who inherited a large house and whose parents make 18K per year get grants so they can study Bsc. Digital Communication, wheras the children of teachers, policemen and so on simply be assumed to be so financially stable that they don't deserve support. I don't have all the answers but the current system is a total joke.

Should the Government pay for the highest level of accomodation at a University for example? If you're going to act high and mighty, think through your posts.

eh?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by x=o
wow...you are an utter simpleton. you do appreciate that those who receive grants have not only emerged from an appalling state school system, but then still have to work part-time to make ends meet at university, don't you?

Appalling state school system? There are plenty of people on grants who attended very good comprehensive schools or grammar schools. I live in the city, most of my friends attend inner city comprehensives. The schools are terrible, but you would be surprised (as someone who has not been there) how supporting people and family can be.
There are a lot of people who have terrible home and school lives, but they are not as common as you seem to think.

I suggest you re-read some of my older posts properly. There are people who cannot afford to go to university because neither their parents nor the state are willing to pay. That is unjust. You can say whatever you like, but you are not in that position and clearly are unable to empathise with it.
Original post by WelshBluebird
The fees were free, but the living costs were not. So that has nothing to do with it.
As I said, I personally do think that the number of siblings should be taken into account. But I was just giving an argument why they may not be.

The same can be said but the other way around though. Why should people from poorer families be forced to have a job through universitiy, just because their parents cannot afford to pay for their accomodation etc etc.
(btw, I have had a job through uni).

First point, that's fair enough.

My point is the fact some people are forced to pay for themselves through university is independent of what how well their families are supposedly doing. It's not just a few people in this situation, it's a considerable amount. Once we're 18 we're not 'dependents' anymore so why is should our support be based on our parents income? Or why does you parents income mean you shouldn't have to pay the money back like everyone else once you yourself are earning enough? I'm yet to see a good argument for this.
My family are in a similar situation - both are teachers in the home counties and on around-ish £50,000 - they can afford to give me about £400-500 per year. They had actually made provisions for my future living costs but due to all my surviving grandparents becoming ill and requiring essentially 24 hour care and the cost of buying & maintaining a respectable family home in Surrey mean that free cash is about as abundant as snow in Saudi Arabia.

Sorry to hear that! It's such a shame that nobody on here seems to understand, though.
Reply 90
Original post by Nomes89
First point, that's fair enough.

My point is the fact some people are forced to pay for themselves through university is independent of what how well their families are supposedly doing. It's not just a few people in this situation, it's a considerable amount. Once we're 18 we're not 'dependents' anymore so why is should our support be based on our parents income? Or why does you parents income mean you shouldn't have to pay the money back like everyone else once you yourself are earning enough? I'm yet to see a good argument for this.

My question exactly.
Do you realise how much care homes cost? And as I said we're in debt from paying for it before my Dad got a good job.. and are you aware how much TAX people on that much have to pay?!

Yes I do. Because we nearly had to put my Gran in one. However, they do not cost enough to make £50k a year seem like nothing. And yes, I do know how much tax is paid. It isn't a huge amount because it is only a little over the threshold (what your parents take home is still over what the average before tax household income is). Somehow, I have a feeling your parents were simply one of those families who were trying to live beyond their means (you mention debt). You must be if £50k a year isn't enough.

This is absolutely not true, being over the income threshold does not make you rich and enable you to shower your children with cash.

Tell that to the people I know who have all their food, all their accomodation etc etc paid for.

Original post by Fallen

I am not saying poor people have it great, I am just saying there is a small percentage of "rich" people who have it much worse.

I am sorry. Rich people do not have anything much worse. Are people like you really so blind to think that having an extra couple of thousand a year during university makes up for 18 years of having tens of thousands of pounds a year less?
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry to hear that! It's such a shame that nobody on here seems to understand, though.

The middle classes get royally ****ed over. And it's medium-income kids that lose out on this whole arrangement - poorer children get a large portion of the fees paid and get given grants, middle income kids get 9K fees no grants and limited parental aid - the wealthy kids usually (not always though) will be financially sound because of parental support.
Yes I do. Because we nearly had to put my Gran in one. However, they do not cost enough to make £50k a year seem like nothing. And yes, I do know how much tax is paid. It isn't a huge amount because it is only a little over the threshold. Somehow, I have a feeling your parents were simply one of those families who were trying to live beyond their means (you mention debt). You must be if £50k a year isn't enough.

You try

a.) Providing care to two old people
b.) Living in the home counties
c.) Paying the high taxes and limited support that the government expects
d.) Supporting three childern through higher education
e.) Having some past-times

We get little change from that - my parents haven't been abroad for years because of it (unlike the benefits crowd at my mums school who get showered with cash - and in some cases free ****ing cars and a host of other goodies).

Tell that to the people I know who have all their food, all their accomodation etc etc paid for.

What a pointless response. Tell that to me is studying a six year medical degree with no parental and no governmental support. **** you.

The main reason I am planning on leaving this nation is because of the joke way that the middle classes are used as a money sponge.
(edited 12 years ago)

eh?

The system isn't fair I agree with you, but cutting grants for poor students should come last of a VERY long list of things to do before that point.

I may not have been clear on the accomodation point. I'll detail it more thoroughly, if you disagree with me at any point, please indicate where and why.

Starting point, all students should get loans to cover all (reasonable) essential expenses such as food, accomodation, books, utilities etc. etc.

2nd, each campus will have differing grades of accomodation. My own uni (Bath) currently has accomodation ranging from say £75/week right upto £180/week.

3rd, by that defiinition the Government would be forced to cover this highest accomodation cost for some people, as not everyone can live in the cheap accomodation and it has set out in principle that no one should go without? correct?

£180 at 40 weeks let comes to £7,200, this is before we consider other living expenses.

See now how it isn't easy to offer blanket support?
Reply 95
It's funny how the same people who slate the poor for claiming child benefit etc. after having 'too many children' they 'can't afford' are rather quick to shout for benefits for the middle classes to send children they can't afford to university. Hypocrisy, much?
Original post by Fallen
My question exactly.

Maybe they'll consider this when they start earning a good salary, become middle class and have to put their kids through education.
Yes I do. Because we nearly had to put my Gran in one. However, they do not cost enough to make £50k a year seem like nothing. And yes, I do know how much tax is paid. It isn't a huge amount because it is only a little over the threshold (what your parents take home is still over what the average before tax household income is). Somehow, I have a feeling your parents were simply one of those families who were trying to live beyond their means (you mention debt). You must be if £50k a year isn't enough.

Erm, I mentioned debt from having to pay for a care home, yes. Which was needed BEFORE my Dad got his promotion.

Out of the 50k, we keep ~33k (tax). Now, if you do a quick internet search you'll find that the AVERAGE care home costs 36k per year. Now does it seem like a lot? Didn't think so.

That's where I come in with my jobs.

a.) Providing care to two old people

Is there any reason they can't get any help with the costs? My Gran had Dementia and because of her condition her care was NHS funded.

b.) Living in the home counties

Thats a choice. Could live somewhere cheaper if they are struggling for money.

d.) Supporting three childern through higher education

Thats a choice. If you are stuggling for money, don't have as many kids.

e.) Having some past-times

Past times doesn't mean spending that much money. If you choose to spend a lot of money, then you can't really complain about not having much.

We get little change from that - my parents haven't been abroad for years because of it (unlike the benefits crowd at my mums school who get showered with cash - and in some cases free ****ing cars and a host of other goodies).

Oh well done. Generalise every poor person as someone on benefits scrounging away :rolleyes:. And free cars? Afaik, the only time you will get a car through benefits is if you are severally disabled and need one to get around.

You keep going on about how £50k isn't enough, well how do you think people on minimum wage get by then?
Reply 99
It's funny the amount of people who are just flat out misunderstanding the question. A better way of putting i think would be "why do they have extra grant money instead of extra loan money?", it's a good question because when they'd come to pay off their loans, they won't be disadvantaged any more and no longer need the help.

I think it's to give incentive, poor people are less likely to go to university so in order to meet target numbers of people in university, Poorer people are the demographic to target.

Most people don't pay off all of their student loan anyway, so it makes little difference unless your an engineer/doctor .etc
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending