The Student Room Group

What can I spend 16-19 Bursary on?

Hello, I’m in year 12, doing A-Levels, and I have just gotten my first 16-19 bursary payment of £365, can I spend this on whatever I want or does it HAVE to be on school supplies and books because I only need 1 more textbook, as I already bought two with my own money, and I really want to buy a bike with the bursary money and the £200 I have saved up
(Also my school hasn’t asked me to show receipts yet)
Thanks
You use it on whatever you want - they don't check it (at least for me, they didn't) but I had saved mine up and used it on food/bus pass.
Reply 2
You can spend it on anything, but personally I would save it for uni, other than that you should only spend it when you really need something like a school supply.
School doesn’t care what you spend it on.
nobody can physically prevent you spending it on whatever but I it's there for scl related stuff and I think it's best if it's save up to be used that way.

I use mine on travel and scl supplies. but tbf, I don't get given a lump sum, I have to buy it with my money and use receipts to get it reimbursed
Reply 4
do you get the bursary every half term or is it just one payment? My school said they'd pay it every half term, i got it during the October holidays but it still hasnt come through for this half term
This is interesting to me as the school never gave me my bursary money - instead I'd have to go to them when I wanted to use it and get it approved, and they would then pay for it directly.
Original post by ry7xsfa
This is interesting to me as the school never gave me my bursary money - instead I'd have to go to them when I wanted to use it and get it approved, and they would then pay for it directly.

Same policy for the school someone i know attends.

He has to have it signed off and receipts be given. It’s actually really unprofessional this way of doing it because it makes the student stand out and also can invite stigma. Not to mention it’s giving a huge negative vibe in the sense of trust eg, an expectation by the school from the get go that a student will misuse funds which they are entitled to (it’s like saying. you are poorer, so we’ll treat you with contempt - bc that’s what this kind of policy is)

This same school claims it cannot be used for food or transport. Idk what others think, but that’s even more difficulty for the students that need to access the bursary

I can’t even describe how rubbish I feel for anyone that has to put up with that when they’re already dealing with the stress of A levels or Btecs and also the stress of that age period already. A middle finger up at school’s that take this approach
Original post by EconomicsStud3nt

He has to have it signed off and receipts be given. It’s actually really unprofessional this way of doing it because it makes the student stand out and also can invite stigma. Not to mention it’s giving a huge negative vibe in the sense of trust eg, an expectation by the school from the get go that a student will misuse funds which they are entitled to (it’s like saying. you are poorer, so we’ll treat you with contempt - bc that’s what this kind of policy is)

This same school claims it cannot be used for food or transport. Idk what others think, but that’s even more difficulty for the students that need to access the bursary

I can’t even describe how rubbish I feel for anyone that has to put up with that when they’re already dealing with the stress of A levels or Btecs and also the stress of that age period already. A middle finger up at school’s that take this approach

My school had it for a reason that kinda made sense - in that they needed to have a paper trail in case they were audited, but it didn't make sense why they couldn't give it to me and ask for receipts.

I was able to use mine for my uni application fees (UK and US), a few school trips, travel to uni open days and offer holder days, my guitar grading exam (despite my lessons not being through the school), and a few other things - so definitely not bad, but it was annoying to have to go up there every time I needed something and just having to hope that the right person was working that day.
Original post by ry7xsfa
My school had it for a reason that kinda made sense - in that they needed to have a paper trail in case they were audited, but it didn't make sense why they couldn't give it to me and ask for receipts.

I was able to use mine for my uni application fees (UK and US), a few school trips, travel to uni open days and offer holder days, my guitar grading exam (despite my lessons not being through the school), and a few other things - so definitely not bad, but it was annoying to have to go up there every time I needed something and just having to hope that the right person was working that day.

I don’t think it’s fair. An added stressor imo

Well done for not seeing it for worse than it is and getting on with things

I’ll always feel bad about it being done like this because when you are given grants and loans at university, it never gets said to not be used on travel or meal expenses - so why does a child have to be treated with any less respect

(Sorry for derailing the thread original poster)
Original post by username5585736

oh gosh that's horrible I wouldn't want to make a kid feel like that. I hope my sixth form doesn't do that because they seem very laid back and aren't people to pester you about something but it says the payment would be made directly into my bank account and they will keep a record of how the bursary is spent and it will be kept up to date and retained by the academy. so would I need to show them receipts or something. its fine tho I don't really need the money except for a bus pass in winter and a maths book. but I really want to buy a bed because mine broke and i've been getting back problems but I would feel really guilty if I spent my bursary money on it. I just need a mattresses tbh and that's all. Also why don't they allow them to not use it for transport and food that's what it should be for. that's just vile behaviour.

Quick Reply

Latest