The Student Room Group

law study help

How do law students make notes to memorise essential information? Can anybody tell me how they read cases and make case briefs because the process I use is so lengthy and I do not even do for all cases because I get exhausted. Also what is this outline system? And how do you organise deadlines and study for exams (recommend some apps)? Cramming is not working for me :frown:
Hey there. I am in my final year studying Law with Criminology at Sheffield Hallam.

The best way I have memorised information is by ensuring my lecture notes are relevant, removing any unnecessary info and making my notes look presentable. This has helped me as in first year, I would write down every single bit of info, then my lectures would end up being 7 pages long each which meant revision was almost impossible.

I recommend watching YouTube videos on topics, buying useful textbooks and resources such as 'nutcases' as this meant the information was in a simpler format.

When it came to memorising caselaw, I would use a mini whiteboard and I would write out the cases over and over again until I remembered them. This sounds silly but this really helped me. Also using flashcards was helpful, I would get my family or flatmates to quiz me on them. Also make use Quizlet and Kahoot, these are really good online resources to help with memory. I also made flowcharts for certain areas of law.

When it comes to reading cases, I only make notes on relevant facts. You won't usually need the extensive case facts, just the rationale is usually relevant. However, I found that knowing a little bit of the case facts helped me remember the case a bit easier.

Remember to write to-do lists and prioritise topics too. To-do lists will help ensure you are organising your revision and it means you can be more productive with your time. When it came close to my essays and exams, I would spend a lot of time in the library as this was where I was most productive, as I had little distractions as opposed to doing my work from my flat.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there. I am in my final year studying Law with Criminology at Sheffield Hallam.

The best way I have memorised information is by ensuring my lecture notes are relevant, removing any unnecessary info and making my notes look presentable. This has helped me as in first year, I would write down every single bit of info, then my lectures would end up being 7 pages long each which meant revision was almost impossible.

I recommend watching YouTube videos on topics, buying useful textbooks and resources such as 'nutcases' as this meant the information was in a simpler format.

When it came to memorising caselaw, I would use a mini whiteboard and I would write out the cases over and over again until I remembered them. This sounds silly but this really helped me. Also using flashcards was helpful, I would get my family or flatmates to quiz me on them. Also make use Quizlet and Kahoot, these are really good online resources to help with memory. I also made flowcharts for certain areas of law.

When it comes to reading cases, I only make notes on relevant facts. You won't usually need the extensive case facts, just the rationale is usually relevant. However, I found that knowing a little bit of the case facts helped me remember the case a bit easier.

Remember to write to-do lists and prioritise topics too. To-do lists will help ensure you are organising your revision and it means you can be more productive with your time. When it came close to my essays and exams, I would spend a lot of time in the library as this was where I was most productive, as I had little distractions as opposed to doing my work from my flat.

I hope this helps and good luck!
Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador

Hi!! Thank you soo muchh for finding time to give such an extensive response. I have a few follow up questions:
- what note making style did u find helpful?
- law school is hectic and reading intensive, so how do u find time to make notes, modify it and even go ahead and make flashcard.
- while using flashcards, do u write the fact of the case or rationale. Generally the fact itself is so long that i cannot cram it in the same card.
- how did you improve your essay writing skills?
- sometimes I have to read certain articles for class discussion, although I read it I cannot retain unlike other people. Could you recommend how to go about it?
- Lastly, how do u manage to stay consistent most of the time?
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending