The Student Room Group

Taking A-Levels separately - How do top tier unis view it?

How would unis such as: LSE, UCL, or even Cambridge

View me if I were to for example take 3 A-Levels in a regular 2 year course, retake 1 A-Level, and then take 1 A-Level following on from that in a year?
Original post by dcb3
View me if I were to for example take 3 A-Levels in a regular 2 year course, retake 1 A-Level, and then take 1 A-Level following on from that in a year?
I'm not entirely sure if I've understood the specifics of your question but I can share with you my experience during a taster day at Oxford this year. One of the attendees asked if it was okay to take 1 A-level in year12 and the other 2 in year13. The answer was that they preferred students to take at least 3 A-levels in their last year. They suggested that students could take 1 A-level in year12 and 3 in year13, but taking 2 in year 13 was not a good option. However, it's important to note that this advice may differ depending on the university.

I recommend reaching out to the admissions team at your desired universities. In my experience, the admissions team at Cambridge, especially at Christ's college, are very friendly :smile:
This is a very case by case question, and if you ask 10 unis you’ll get 10 variations of appetite.

Outside of extremely competitive courses, retakes are not often a concern. But additional AL’s, either in a third or fourth year might start to disadvantage you.

As above, all you can do is ask, but I am thinking you are just preparing for the worst?
It might seem a bit odd not to take the additional 1 year A level alongside the retake. Assuming that the additional A level is taken to meet subject entry requirements.
Original post by dcb3

What exactly would be the rationale for this though?

If you know at the outset that you would need to take an additional A-level later you would be best off either a) taking it now (if you haven't started your A-levels yet) or b) taking it in the gap year while resitting any you need to resit (if you are already in your A-levels).
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
What exactly would be the rationale for this though?
If you know at the outset that you would need to take an additional A-level later you would be best off either a) taking it now (if you haven't started your A-levels yet) or b) taking it in the gap year while resitting any you need to resit (if you are already in your A-levels).

I had not known my desired area at university required Maths, and I was taking subjects I enjoyed.
Original post by dcb3
I had not known my desired area at university required Maths, and I was taking subjects I enjoyed.

As I indicated then, you would be best off just taking it in the one gap year (and resit things as needed if applicable). I am also assuming you are referring to economics as your desired degree programme in which case there may be other factors as well.

It would really have been more helpful if you stated in your original post what degree you are intending to apply to, what A-levels you're taking now, and what year of school you are in. Rather than all this beating around the bush to try and extract this information from you in order for anyone to give you actually complete and useful recommendations rather than just somewhat general responses.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest