The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate St Andrews Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by clabcom
If that fails, you can always put the shower on the hottest setting and turn the bathroom into a mini sauna, the high humidity will help minimise/eliminate any creases in clothes. 10 mins should do!

Be careful with this though, cos it can and will set off the smoke alarm if you leave the door open even a crack... [source: life in the FPA]
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 101
Original post by LGF92
Be careful with this though, cos it can and will set off the smoke alarm if you leave the door open even a crack... [source: life in the FPA]

I will :tongue: Haha good advice thanks !
Reply 102
Hey. I'm really paranoid that St Andrews hasn't processed my accomodation yet and I would like to enquire. My offer was changed to unconditonal on 4th August and I had submitted my application for accomodation on 28th April and I haven't received any accomodation confirmation e-mails or letters and on the St Andrews e-Application and e-Contract bit it says "you currently have no bookings". Is this normal or should I be worried?
Reply 103
Original post by Banick
Hey. I'm really paranoid that St Andrews hasn't processed my accomodation yet and I would like to enquire. My offer was changed to unconditonal on 4th August and I had submitted my application for accomodation on 28th April and I haven't received any accomodation confirmation e-mails or letters and on the St Andrews e-Application and e-Contract bit it says "you currently have no bookings". Is this normal or should I be worried?

That is completely normal :smile:
You could be waiting a few weeks.
Reply 104
Original post by Ecosse_14
That is completely normal :smile:
You could be waiting a few weeks.

Thanks a bunch
Reply 105
How are Fife Park houses.. can anybody provide me some details on it?
Does anybody know how soon A Level students should find out about their accommodation? I understand that it will take a bit of time to allocate everyone, but I was just wondering as there's just under a month to go :smile:!
Reply 107
Original post by Blaubeuren
Does anybody know how soon A Level students should find out about their accommodation? I understand that it will take a bit of time to allocate everyone, but I was just wondering as there's just under a month to go :smile:!

Expect to hear in the first week of September, if I recall it was the 7th for me, but I believe they're allocated in batches and so it sometimes depends on your application as to how quickly your hall gets back to you. I seem to remember that the catered halls got back first and DRAFP was among the last.
Reply 108
Original post by Blaubeuren

Yeah, I'd guess about 2-3 weeks time.
Thanks to both of you! Ah I might just have to learn how to cook just in case :smile:!
Reply 110
In few weeks? That doesn't sound comforting as I am not from UK and I applied for accommodation after deadline...:facepalm: Maybe I should start looking somewhere else? Oh, and does someone know whether foreigners have a higher chance of getting accommodation? That would help a bunch!

EDIT: This might sound stupid but how does one start to rent from a foreign country? Do I have to pay in advance (without any contract?) or do I pay when I arrive? Not sure how it works as I have never rented before
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 111
Original post by Tomskey
In few weeks? That doesn't sound comforting as I am not from UK and I applied for accommodation after deadline...:facepalm: Maybe I should start looking somewhere else? Oh, and does someone know whether foreigners have a higher chance of getting accommodation? That would help a bunch!

EDIT: This might sound stupid but how does one start to rent from a foreign country? Do I have to pay in advance (without any contract?) or do I pay when I arrive? Not sure how it works as I have never rented before

If I'm honest, you have little chance of finding somewhere as accommodation in St Andrews is pretty competitive and most of it is taken by early March. As you will be trying to get a place without any references or previous experience of renting, most landlords will be reluctant to let you rent from them.

You could try to find someone with a spare room on www.thesinner.net but you will be lucky to find something at this stage.

I haven't heard of anyone not getting an accommodation place even if they have applied after the deadline so fingers crossed that you'll be ok.
Reply 112
Just a couple of questions (sorry if they've already been covered)-

1) Am I likely to get single, self catered accommodation if I've asked for it?
2) When are we likely to find out where we've been put?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 113
Original post by alexss
Just a couple of questions (sorry if they've already been covered)-

1) Am I likely to get single, self catered accommodation if I've asked for it?
2) When are we likely to find out where we've been put?

Thanks. :smile:

Yes. You are likely to get single self catered if you asked for it as there are plenty of single self catered rooms. Did you want standard or ensuite because the standard rooms are limited and you might end up being put in ensuite, single, self catered.

You will find out in the next few weeks. I got my accommodation offer on 30th August last year. I'd say it will either be next week or the week after that. They're still processing all the applications at the minute. You will get it in plently of time for freshers.
Reply 114
Original post by Oh-WOW
Yes. You are likely to get single self catered if you asked for it as there are plenty of single self catered rooms. Did you want standard or ensuite because the standard rooms are limited and you might end up being put in ensuite, single, self catered.

You will find out in the next few weeks. I got my accommodation offer on 30th August last year. I'd say it will either be next week or the week after that. They're still processing all the applications at the minute. You will get it in plently of time for freshers.

Thank you! :smile: A relief for me, and the poor person who potentially could have had to live in the same room! I put down for ensuite, as the form pointed out how limited the standard rooms are.
Reply 115
So I've been looking at flats, and living in St Andrews is just too costly for me. Cupar is one of the areas I have been looking at and was wondering if anyone is living or has lived there?

What are buses like? How much? Are there bus card deals? How frequent are they? Finally how late do they service till?

Thanks
Reply 116
I don't live in Cupar, but only a couple of buses really go there (most dodge it to go via Anstruther to Kirkcaldy), ~I think the last is around 11 at night? You're probably better looking in Dundee where there're at least 3 buses an hour up til 12.30am.
Reply 117
Original post by Tomskey

As for renting, the usual deal in the UK is you call the landlord to have a look around the property, after which you decide whether you want to rent it or not. If you do, they give you the lease and you usually get a week to read it over (the university can do this for you to make sure you're not being fleeced). Then you sign the lease, and pay a deposit usually of 1 month's rent that is returned to you when the lease ends. Thereafter, you pay by standing order into an account on the 1st of every month.
Reply 118
Thank you for the info!
Reply 119
Original post by Tomskey

You won't find any other town accom this time of year but if your a first year the uni is guaranteed to give you accom so don't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending