The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate St Andrews Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTR__
I just want to be in halls so badly! I'm just going to hope that they can offer me a place, and if not, I'll book a hotel or something for freshers' week at least! :biggrin: Thank you though xx

The accommodation guarantee says they'd only ask you to live at home 'until a room becomes available' - I get the impression that even in years of apparently high demand rooms do become available early in term, as a few people drop out or don't turn up. If you commit yourself to a rental you might find it difficult to move quickly if a halls room becomes free? It might be a good idea to contact the student union accommodation advocate for some advice?
http://www.yourunion.net/support/accommodation/accommodation/
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by JTR__
Oh, I'm sorry :frown: hopefully they will keep a note of your preference though!

They are quite expensive, but it might actually be worth the money for 1st year at least, maybe. I actually did consider Dundee, but I'm just unsure right now. I just want to be in halls so badly! I'm just going to hope that they can offer me a place, and if not, I'll book a hotel or something for freshers' week at least! :biggrin: Thank you though xx

Son was offered accommodation in halls as a PhD student. He turned it down to go for a private place. That fell through so he reapplied for halls in July.. He got one in DRA. So don't give up hope.
Reply 1382
Sorry if this has been asked before, but if you say that you are willing to share a room, are you likely to get a roommate? I really want to go for standard catered shared but I know that it is a popular option and I wouldn't be able to afford a single room in standard catered. Andrew Melville is my 2nd preference.
After completing the application,I found out that I answered Do you prefer to share with a quiet person? Yes instead of a No.How can I change it ? I don't want to live with a roommate :eek:
Hello, guys!
I am an undergraduate in the University of St. Andrews, and here are my experiences about accommodation here. First of all, the best hall of residence here is David Russell Apartments. However, it is pretty hard to get accepted there. I applied three times, but was rejected every time. But this year I got lucky! It is the happiest year in my St Andrews life! First of all, it has the best catering company if you considered catered DRA - I mean, the best! The bistro is big and warm, the variety of food is incredible. Moreover, you can study here in a perfectly quiet atmosphere, better than the library. Also, DRA gets the best Hall parties and events. The wardens are extremely helpful and if you have any problem, such as being locked out of your room, they come in 5 minutes to help, not like in McIntosh, where I had to wait outside in the rain for half an hour for a warden. DRA is extremely eco-friendly, it has it's own domestic animals, rabbits, ducks, and so on. Laundry room is huge and clean and is always empty. Furthermore, the atmosphere is really friendly, people are smiling to you on the streets when you pass by. Oh, by the way, Prince applied to DRA but was rejected, that is why he had to live in one of the most dirty and unfriendly halls - St. Salvators. St. Salavtors has "the highest unsatisfaction rate" (Donaldson, 2014): bad food quality, lack of heating and absence of electricity - you have to go and charge your phone in a library, which is luckily located nearby. That is why poor Sally's residents have to use candles every night. Some of them are getting burnt when they go to the bathroom as they need to use a candle or a beacon. Also such halls (such as Sally's or McIntosh) are traditional, so you can only flash toilet water twice a day, at 8 am and 8 pm. At the same time, McIntosh has electricity and even Wi Fi, but unfortunately no windows in some rooms. But why do you need a window if you have light? But that is why these halls are 2000 pounds less than DRA. Once I was locked out of my room in McIntosh so I had to sleep on the bathroom floor. However, though these facts about traditional halls of residence may have surprised you, there are positive qualities about them. During my two years in Sally's I got a cockroach in my food only twice! Also, all 1st years in Catered Halls get to live in shared rooms. It is so much fun! I once had a very funny roommate, the only issue I had with him was when at night he suddenly woke up and started to moonwalk across the room, but apart from that we had no other misunderstandings. Another advantage of such halls is that they not only have bicycle parking, but also car parking and horse parking (yes, there are some posh people in St. Andrews!) DRA lack this privilege of having horses parked outside of your building. But it has something other halls do not have - wardrobes! The whole years spent in other halls I had to keep my clothes in a trash bin or under the bed.
To sum up, DRA is the only place you can survive if you are not from the 13th century village or something.
Yours truly,
DRA fan
Original post by oldlady
The accommodation guarantee says they'd only ask you to live at home 'until a room becomes available' - I get the impression that even in years of apparently high demand rooms do become available early in term, as a few people drop out or don't turn up. If you commit yourself to a rental you might find it difficult to move quickly if a halls room becomes free? It might be a good idea to contact the student union accommodation advocate for some advice?
http://www.yourunion.net/support/accommodation/accommodation/

Hello, Old Lady,
Don't worry, if you apply to DRA they will accept you! They are friendly and helpful!
Original post by hj659
Sorry if this has been asked before, but if you say that you are willing to share a room, are you likely to get a roommate? I really want to go for standard catered shared but I know that it is a popular option and I wouldn't be able to afford a single room in standard catered. Andrew Melville is my 2nd preference.

Good evening, HJ659!!:smile:
If you apply to DRA you do not have to worry about roommates at all!:colone: Read my post above if you want to know more about DRA or just pm me!
With love,
DRA fan
Original post by olddad
Son was offered accommodation in halls as a PhD student. He turned it down to go for a private place. That fell through so he reapplied for halls in July.. He got one in DRA. So don't give up hope.

Hello, young dad!
I am so-so-so happy to hear your son was accepted to DRA! Hail DRA! God bless DRA!:colondollar: Seriously, you are extremely lucky to get your son accepted there!!
Original post by JTR__
Oh, I'm sorry :frown: hopefully they will keep a note of your preference though!

They are quite expensive, but it might actually be worth the money for 1st year at least, maybe. I actually did consider Dundee, but I'm just unsure right now. I just want to be in halls so badly! I'm just going to hope that they can offer me a place, and if not, I'll book a hotel or something for freshers' week at least! :biggrin: Thank you though xx

Hello there!
You know what's worth your money? DRA! May DRA spirit be with you! May DRA warden protect you!:badger:
Original post by DRA Fan
Good evening, HJ659!!:smile:
If you apply to DRA you do not have to worry about roommates at all!:colone: Read my post above if you want to know more about DRA or just pm me!
With love,
DRA fan

The posters concern is about cost. He wants a roommate, to keep the cost down. DRA is more expensive than shared catered and Melville.
Original post by Calllu-m
The posters concern is about cost. He wants a roommate, to keep the cost down. DRA is more expensive than shared catered and Melville.

I think based on the above posts we can say that "DRAFan" is a troll :tongue: Not even a funny one, at that.
Original post by DRA Fan
Hello, young dad!
I am so-so-so happy to hear your son was accepted to DRA! Hail DRA! God bless DRA!:colondollar: Seriously, you are extremely lucky to get your son accepted there!!

Well he thinks so. And he loves it. Will stay there foe whole 3 and half years if he can
What hall are you likely to be put into for ensuite catered?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Suzi.Letham
What hall are you likely to be put into for ensuite catered?

Posted from TSR Mobile

DRA or uni hall or JBH if you're lucky
Does anyone have any pictures of inside the Albany Park houses or any of the facilities? Someone put a photograph of the kitchen which looked alright but the pictures on the website seem quite old and very bad quality! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I put standard catered shared, which one is it likely that i get?
Original post by Busteren
If I put standard catered shared, which one is it likely that i get?

Possibly none of them - Standard Catered is VERY oversubscribed. The largest catered halls are Melville (if you put that as one of your choices) and Uni Hall, so those are the most likely if you get lucky enough.
Original post by olddad

There's a block set aside in DRA for postgrads, so this doesn't really mean anything for undergrads.
Original post by la_banane_verte
There's a block set aside in DRA for postgrads, so this doesn't really mean anything for undergrads.

Useful to know for the future Tks.
Does anybody know when we will receive confirmation of our accommodation? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending