The Student Room Group

A Few FP2(AQA) Questions

I've got my FP2 exam next week and have found a few questions on past papers which I'm having trouble with so thought I might as well bung them all in one post. Any help much appreciated :smile: Have tried to include as much of my working as possible so you can see where I'm going wrong etc...

1) It is given that z=eiθz= e^{i\theta} . In part a you had to show that z+1z=2cosθ z + \frac{1}{z} = 2\cos\theta which is fine, then a similar expression for z^2 for which I got 2cos2θ 2\cos 2 \theta then hence show that z2z+21z+1z2=4cos2θ2cosθ z^2 - z + 2 - \frac{1}{z} + \frac{1}{z^2}=4 \cos^2 \theta - 2 \cos \theta . Again this was fine, I used the two previous identities and a double angle identity. Here's where I get stuck:

b)Hence solve the quartic equation z4z3+2z2z+1=0 z^4-z^3+2z^2-z+1=0 giving the results in the form a +bi.

So obviously I see that this is the same as the previous expression but multipled by z^2 in each term but I'm just not really sure where to go from here..

2) By considering the roots of z5=1 z^5 =1 show that cos2π5+cos4π5+cos6π5+cos8π5=1 \cos\frac{2\pi}{5}+\cos\frac{4 \pi}{5}+\cos\frac{6\pi}{5}+ \cos \frac {8\pi}{5}=-1 so I've used z=e2kπi5 z= e^{\frac{2k\pi i}{5}} with k=0,1,2,3,4 and i can see how my results relate as they are all of the form cos2kπ5+isin2kπ5 \cos \frac{2k\pi}{5} + i \sin\frac{2k\pi}{5} and with the k values inserted are the values they want (sorry I can't be bothered to write them all out but you get the picture) but I don't really know what to do with regard to showing it equals -1..?

I may have a couple more to add in a bit! But for now, any help with these two would be great, ta
Reply 1
*Bump* would really appreciate some help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MathsSuze
*Bump* would really appreciate some help :smile:

Well for part b) you know that z^2 can't be zero (because then the equation wouldn't be true!) so you can divide by this and compare what you get with the equation you had earlier.

For the next one, z^5 - 1 can be factorised as (z - 1)P(z) where P(z) is a polynomial of degree 4 i.e. the 1st term is z^4. The zeros of P(z) (i.e. the values of z where P(z) = 0) will be the solutions to z^5 = 1 except for z = 1. Now, what do you know about the sum of roots of a polynomial equation in terms of the coefficients of that equation?

Quick Reply

Latest