The Student Room Group

Most versatile degree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Physics or History.
Original post by im so academic
Of course they do not!

Of course you need an accredited engineering degree to become chartered. Don't assume I know less than you may think of me. I'm not stupid.

The fact is, doing Physics will not prevent you from going into Engineering (that doesn't necessarily mean being chartered). If I recall correctly, there are chartered engineers out there who already hold a BSc in Physics.

Define what you mean by "Engineering".
Reply 62
Maths.
Original post by nerimon18
PPE seems versatile. You could go into teaching, law, finance, journalism, even medicine apparently(so I've heard)

You could do senior status medicine, but that applies to anyone who has the prerequisites. You can't do PPE and just go into medicine.
Reply 64

The fact is, doing Physics will not prevent you from going into Engineering (that doesn't necessarily mean being chartered). If I recall correctly, there are chartered engineers out there who already hold a BSc in Physics.

Strictly speaking, no qualification prevents you from going into engineering...
Reply 66
There's something called doing two undergraduate degrees.

The fact is with Physics you *can* go into Engineering. Sure it may not allow you to become Chartered, but if you wanted Chartership, you would've done Engineering in the first place. Same principle with being a doctor - you would've done Medicine in the first place.

You're on fire this evening :rolleyes:

----
anyway physics is a very versatile degree - even though you're unlikely to follow it up with an MEng.
Original post by Overmars
Oh dear.

Oh dear? I'm sorry but it's true.In a bit to get more government funding ''researchers'' in social sciences have really changed the way their fields are studied and not for the better either.
However, it will serve as great preparation to do the MEng as a second degree, so it's not like you would have wasted those 3-4 years doing Physics.

But an MEng Engineering graduate wanting to do a PhD in an area in Pure Mathematics (not applied)?

I can't say from experience really , but I would imagine many engineers do engineering because they like applying maths. It would be counter intuitive to go on a do a pure maths phd . Then again maybe this isn't the case.
(edited 12 years ago)
A degree in contortionism?
I am surprised no one has mentioned Psychology? It involved many different topics, maths (stats), essays, research projects/experiments... It leads to nearly any job other than science based/medicine?
Original post by Anatheme

All those pages and no-one has mentionned languages…? Surprising.

Just because it's your degree... :rolleyes:
Reply 72
Just because it's your degree... :rolleyes:

Just because it's my degree doesn't mean it's not versatile. Yes it's mainly Arts and Humanities-based, but it opens doors to a wide range of jobs, and it deserves to be mentionned in this thread. I didn't realise I'd offend you so badly you'd neg me for making such a statement. Or maybe you neg everyone mentionning their degree if it's not Engineering?

Language degrees are a combination of history, linguistics, languages, politics, arts, literature, and they're easily combined with shedloads of other things like Economics or even Biochemistry. If that's not versatile, I don't know what is. And as for what you can end up doing with a language degree, people have became civil servants, MI-5/6 people, worked in business and trade, ended up lawyers, journalists, teachers, and all that because a language degrees allow you a hell of a lot of flexibility to arrange it as you wish and make the most of your time at uni.

Sorry if that doesn't match your definition of versatility, but it's time you learn to look a word up in the dictionary.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just because it's my degree doesn't mean it's not versatile. Yes it's mainly Arts and Humanities-based, but it opens doors to a wide range of jobs, and it deserves to be mentionned in this thread. I didn't realise I'd offend you so badly you'd neg me for making such a statement. Or maybe you neg everyone mentionning their degree if it's not Engineering?

Language degrees are a combination of history, linguistics, languages, politics, arts, literature, and they're easily combined with shedloads of other things like Economics or even Biochemistry. If that's not versatile, I don't know what is. And as for what you can end up doing with a language degree, people have became civil servants, MI-5/6 people, worked in business and trade, ended up lawyers, journalists, teachers, and all that because a language degrees allow you a hell of a lot of flexibility to arrange it as you wish and make the most of your time at uni.

Sorry if that doesn't match your definition of versatility, but it's time you learn to look a word up in the dictionary.

Im sure being able to say apple in french is versatile.
Reply 74
Original post by iammichealjackson
Im sure being able to say apple in french is versatile.

2/10.
Reply 75
I think the general consensus of this thread is Maths, Engineering and Physics, as you can go into anything from engineering, research etc to law firms and investment banking.
60% of graduate entry careers don't require a degree in any specific discipline, so you could argue that any degree is as versatile as any other, if you wanted to.
Reply 77
Original post by carnationlilyrose
60% of graduate entry careers don't require a degree in any specific discipline, so you could argue that any degree is as versatile as any other, if you wanted to.

The other 40% means you can't
2/10.

Haha sorry, what do people who do languages even do though? Is it like french/italian/whatever literature or do you do modules of other stuff aswell?
Medicine.

Maths/Engineering also good.

To the people who say history, English or psychology: err what?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending