The Student Room Group

Career options after an Engineering degree

I’m currently a gap year student (did my A Levels last year) and I’m still not sure exactly what to do next year.

As I see it, my options are:

- An audit apprenticeship with a Big 4 firm.

- Mechanical engineer at Bath either as a BEng or MEng.

I’m not sure which to pick as I’m very conflicted.

The advantage to the apprenticeships is that I get the ACA, I get paid and it’s a good way to start a career, however if I don’t like it I’m likely to be stuck in audit, or at least accountancy for my life, and these firms aren’t too keen on people starting their own side hustles which is something I’d like to do.

As for university, it’s a tried and tested method so I’ll always be able to find a job. The advantage to university is that the engineering degree is quite versatile and will allow me to get access into various different fields (accounting/finance, data, tech, and obviously engineering). The disadvantages are that I’ll have to move out which if rather not do, and it’ll cost me a lot of money. But I will have the freedom to do other things like try out side hustles etc which will be really restricted in audit.

I’ve got a month, maybe two to decide fully but ideally by the end of June I’d like to have a clearer idea of what I want do, any thoughts, advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by sqweku
I’m currently a gap year student (did my A Levels last year) and I’m still not sure exactly what to do next year.

As I see it, my options are:

- An audit apprenticeship with a Big 4 firm.

- Mechanical engineer at Bath either as a BEng or MEng.

I’m not sure which to pick as I’m very conflicted.

The advantage to the apprenticeships is that I get the ACA, I get paid and it’s a good way to start a career, however if I don’t like it I’m likely to be stuck in audit, or at least accountancy for my life, and these firms aren’t too keen on people starting their own side hustles which is something I’d like to do.

As for university, it’s a tried and tested method so I’ll always be able to find a job. The advantage to university is that the engineering degree is quite versatile and will allow me to get access into various different fields (accounting/finance, data, tech, and obviously engineering). The disadvantages are that I’ll have to move out which if rather not do, and it’ll cost me a lot of money. But I will have the freedom to do other things like try out side hustles etc which will be really restricted in audit.

I’ve got a month, maybe two to decide fully but ideally by the end of June I’d like to have a clearer idea of what I want do, any thoughts, advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

there is another engineering option to consider - software engineering. There are a lot of government degree apprenticeships / government-endorsed bootcamps for you to look into if you are interested. Even Big 4 companies are getting in on it as well.
Reply 2
Original post by quasa
there is another engineering option to consider - software engineering. There are a lot of government degree apprenticeships / government-endorsed bootcamps for you to look into if you are interested. Even Big 4 companies are getting in on it as well.

Is software engineering still possible for me even if I do an mechanical engineering degree?

I think it’s too late for me to apply to other good degree apprenticeships as most are full now. I think it’s worth noting as well that my B4 apprenticeship is degree equivalent, but I do not a get a university degree from it.
Original post by sqweku
Is software engineering still possible for me even if I do an mechanical engineering degree?

I think it’s too late for me to apply to other good degree apprenticeships as most are full now. I think it’s worth noting as well that my B4 apprenticeship is degree equivalent, but I do not a get a university degree from it.

anyone can get into software, with or without a degree
Reply 4
Original post by sqweku

What did you end up doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending