The Student Room Group

What is the "opposite" of infinity

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by soutioirsim
I also think zero.

But what happens if you have "0 x infinity". Because then you have something infinitely small multiplied by something infinitely big.

I kinda thought 0=kinfinity0 = \frac{k}{infinity} would be true for a constant "k".

0 x infinity = 0.

An infinite amount of nothings equals 0.

No amounts of infinity equals 0.
Original post by Andamiriel
agree
you cant put infinity into an equation, its not a number
Yes you can, I often integrate between zero and infinity.
Reply 22
Original post by Alpha-Omega
Interesting question. Hmmm.... I think it would be zero. Since infinity represent being limitless while zero is complete absence.

Surely complete absence is also infinite?
Reply 23
Original post by Picnic1
0 x infinity = 0.

An infinite amount of nothings equals 0.

No amounts of infinity equals 0.

That's because it's too large... They haven't devised a unit for that, so it's just 0 cause it's too big to be measured lol
Original post by The Truth
Surely complete absence is also infinite?

True say.

The world of infinity....
Reply 25
Original post by doggyfizzel
It depends, the wording is poor. Opposite is a not clear.

Opposite in terms of a definition woud be "finite"

Opposite in terms of on a scale depends where the scale ends, if there is no negative then it is "infinitesimal" if there is a negative then its just negative infinity.

I think zero would wrong as infinity is not an exact measure, it has no exact ending, only it is as large as is possible where there is no limit to size, the reverse of that is not zero as that is a finite boundary. One end of the scale has a definite limit that can be measured, the other does not.

No i don't think that's true....

What's opposite of left? Right...

What's opposite of 1? -1

What's opposite of infinity? minus infinity

There you go, no need for all that woffel :smile:
No i don't think that's true....

What's opposite of left? Right...

What's opposite of 1? -1

What's opposite of infinity? minus infinity

There you go, no need for all that woffel :smile:
What about the opposite of an infinite amount of sand? You cannot always have a negative scale, when using infinity as a number.
(edited 12 years ago)
my sex life
Reply 28
The opposite of 4 is -4 because it has the same quantity, but in a different direction... Well that's like physics...

You can't ask what's the opposite of A unless you specify a range maybe? So the alphabet would be the range and so opposite of A = Z.

Erm it wouldn't be ~4 if it was OPPOSITE.

OPPOSITE = same magnitide but different direction...

Lol
Reply 29
What about the opposite of an infinite amount of sand? You cannot always have a negative scale, when using infinity as a number.

Well it depends howyou think about this I guess. From an abtract perspective, the opposite of an infinite amount of sand would be MINUS an infinite amount of sand. Can we see it? No. Why? It exists in a parallel dimension that is the opposite to ours?
Well it depends howyou think about this I guess. From an abtract perspective, the opposite of an infinite amount of sand would be MINUS an infinite amount of sand. Can we see it? No. Why? It exists in a parallel dimension that is the opposite to ours?
You can have a negative amount of sand. You could have anti-sand from anti matter I guess, but it is still a positive quantity. I parallel dimension is a pointless discussion as the rules applicable to us may no longer be valid, and it would have no interaction with our dimension.

Opposite doesn't give you enough information, so I gave both options.
Reply 31
IMO, it depends if you mean it numerically or physically. numerically it would be negative infinity but physically it would be infinitesimal
I would say zero as infinity is meant to be a limitless amount, it doesn't state that this doesn't include negative numbers.

Well for me I stick with finite. An infinite amount of sand would be never ending uncountable amount (definition: limitless or endless in space , extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate), the opposite would be a countable finite amount (definition: limited in size or extent).
Mathematicians don't deal with these types of questions! :tongue:
Reply 35
Original post by Oxy-moron Prodigy

Yeah that's phillosophy/Physics lol
Original post by Oxy-moron Prodigy

I did wonder whether to put the question here or in the philosophy forum, thought I'd get a better answer here :tongue:
Reply 37
There isn't an exact opposite to everything like '42' or 'zebra', just as there isn't an exact opposite to 'infinity'... Zero certainly shares some of infinity's characteristics and could be seen as as close to an opposite as you can get, but since infinity is more of a an idea than an actual number, the opposite to infinite is simply finite, surely?
Yes you can, I often integrate between zero and infinity.

thats veryvery different, nothing with infinate area, can be integrated, since its area would be infinate

Quick Reply

Latest