The Student Room Group

cheaper insurance after a write off?

Hi,
I've not had the best luck since passing my test 7 months ago, I bought a golf 1.6tdi which gearbox failed and had to scrap it (insurance was 1.6k with a black box), then got a polo (insurance was 1.4k with a black box) and a driver hit me in the rear causing my car to be written off, it's still pending but looking to be a non-fault claim. However, i'm searching for a new car and finding insurance is incredibly hard and confusing i'm getting quotes of 3-7k for corsas, fiestas etc. Not sure what cars to look for or what insurance sites to be looking at. I've looked at the main first driver cars and the main comparison and broker sites for insurance. Any advice?
I would look for an engine under 1.6. Those time of engines for a person who has under a year its very expensive. Your looking for a hatchback?

I went for a 2.0 engine for my first car but I wasn't paying high insurance, needed it to full comp business use.
Reply 2
hi! I have six points so am well versed with using every trick possible to get cheaper insurance.

1: Play around with the value of your car. My saab 900 was like £200 cheaper p/y when I declared its value as 3k as opposed to a grand.
2: Job, student is usually cheapest, it's worth playing around with the wording of your role. Personally, lgv driver was cheaper than van driver, I've also declared the van as a company car for work use, technically correct.
3: Check your named drivers. It isn't always cheaper to have them, my policy decreased by £50 when I removed my parents, the opposite could be true however, as it is for most people when they first pass. Don't forget that named drivers can be anybody, with permission.
4: mods. Some can be beneficial. On my saab 9-3 Ive declared wider tyres as a mod, and parking sensors. The tyres are 35 as opposed to 25, and the parking sensors are from factory, saved £20 I think.

5: Milage. the general rule is to declare the lowest you possibly can, but sometimes 5k is cheaper than 1k. Also bare in mind that if you are to have an accident and you're less than 10/20% over the milage you've declared, you could probably get away with saying that the extra miles were accrued by another person driving with third party insurance. This is of course fraud, however.
6: Location: Could you get away with claiming the car is stored at a different place? While at uni I declared the parking location as my parents drive, when in reality it was a street 400 miles away. Technically legal as my parent's home was my permanent address, but a bit iffy.
7: Timing, If you don't need to insure a car right now, it's pretty much always cheaper to have the policy start in a week or two.

7: Turn 21. It's unreal. the insurance on my 9-3 dropped from 1.5k to £500 overnight.

With regards to sites, compare the market has been the cheapest for me recently given I am young, have points, and own a fairly powerful car, however before now confused.com gave the cheapest quotes.

Regarding cars, look for vehicles that old people drive. Volvos, Saabs, Skodas, select Audis and Toyotas (avensis). No hatchbacks. Essentially you're looking for cars that aren't driven by people your age: They won't have been binned into a hedge by people your age, and insurers have less data on them regarding your circumstances
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
The last thing about what Roo02 said about car choice is a real important one. My first car was a 2.0 Nissan Primera GT, which i got with insurance half the price of a 1.4 Fiesta I was looking at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending