The Student Room Group

how to get better at writing sociology/religious studies essays?

im getting top marks for my english and history essay parts but when it comes to sociology and religious studies i find it so difficult as the essay structure is completely different. i have no idea how to revise these as i can revise the content but applying it is the difficult part.
any advice?
Original post by user10708
im getting top marks for my english and history essay parts but when it comes to sociology and religious studies i find it so difficult as the essay structure is completely different. i have no idea how to revise these as i can revise the content but applying it is the difficult part.
any advice?

Hi there
I did religious studies at GCSE and A level and got 9’s and A’s. You are the opposite of me as I struggled way more with how to set out an English essay I was so confused. To revise I wrote lots of songs to remember the quotes, flash cards with pros and cons of the debating questions ( use Quizlet ) talking up the content through with someone makes it stick in your head far better and making big mind maps so you understand how everything connects and can be used in an argument.

hope this helps
Emily <3
Original post by user10708
any advice?

For rs, have a look at past papers and note down the questions that you feel a) stand out as a possible question coming on the test and b) you find that question challenging. Then note down the mark scheme for it as well as your own ideas (but with quotes to support them of course!). Also do practice questions frequently to get that practice in.
I also find that for rs, best thing to do is summarise all your points and quotes for each topic into an A4 page, or if you can fit 2 topics on the A4 page, then even better. But this can help you feel less overwhelmed with notes and stuff and use the specification if you don't already.

For sociology, most of the content is pretty understandable, but as you said, applying it is tough. So I recommend that at least make sure you have a basic understanding of the content and memorise key definitions.
Practicing your style of essays can improve technique, but you won't get far unless you have a check at the mark scheme or get your essays marked for you - this way you get proper feedback.

I hope that helps and good luck!
Original post by *LifeHappens*
For rs, have a look at past papers and note down the questions that you feel a) stand out as a possible question coming on the test and b) you find that question challenging. Then note down the mark scheme for it as well as your own ideas (but with quotes to support them of course!). Also do practice questions frequently to get that practice in.
I also find that for rs, best thing to do is summarise all your points and quotes for each topic into an A4 page, or if you can fit 2 topics on the A4 page, then even better. But this can help you feel less overwhelmed with notes and stuff and use the specification if you don't already.

For sociology, most of the content is pretty understandable, but as you said, applying it is tough. So I recommend that at least make sure you have a basic understanding of the content and memorise key definitions.
Practicing your style of essays can improve technique, but you won't get far unless you have a check at the mark scheme or get your essays marked for you - this way you get proper feedback.

I hope that helps and good luck!

Love this advice

Emily <3

Quick Reply

Latest