The Student Room Group

AQA MFP3 - 16th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by vladtheimpaler
I thought it went really well! A lot easier than FP2. The last one you did the area bound by the sin curve - the area bound by the tan curve, and i got a=1/2 and b=-3/4
Got y = (Ax^4)/4 + Ax + x^2 + B for the differential equation
-2 for the limit
(2e^3)/9 for another limit

Exactly the same as you! :smile:
Original post by JJBSussat
That was solid - what did everyone get for the last differential one? The one where you had to substitute...

I took the u over to the one side and the (x^3 + 1...) over to the other.

So then I had: lnu =3x^2(ln(x^3+1) )/3x^2 + c
u = A(x^3 + 1)
y = Int( Ax^3 + A1 -2x)
y = (A/4)X^4 +Ax -x^2 + B

I think I had it completely wrong... did anybody else do that?

I think I got (A/4)X^4 + Ax + x^2 + B. I'm fairly sure x^2 was a positive sign because u=(dy/dx)-2x
Reply 62
Original post by vladtheimpaler
I thought it went really well! A lot easier than FP2. The last one you did the area bound by the sin curve - the area bound by the tan curve, and i got a=1/2 and b=-3/4
Got y = (Ax^4)/4 + Ax + x^2 + B for the differential equation
-2 for the limit
(2e^3)/9 for another limit

I got both of those as well. What took me a while was finding

ddx(2cos2x+sin2x)\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{2}{\cos^2 x+\sin 2x}\right)

I was integrating one of the trig. functions instead of differentiating so I was struggling on that for a while, but I got that near the end.
Reply 63
Original post by Devp93
Yeh me too :biggrin: was very happy when my calculator told me it was the same as what I worked out :smile:. Almost forgot how to integrate tan^2 x tho :s-smilie: good thing I had 45 mins for the last question :smile:.

I was trying to find the integral of tan2x\tan^2 x in the formula book for a while and then I saw sec2x\sec^2 x in there and it dawned on me :biggrin:
Original post by gillyhl

I was integrating one of the trig. functions instead of differentiating so I was struggling on that for a while, but I got that near the end.

I used the quotient rule on that so I got -2(2cos2x-2sinxcosx)/((cosx)^2+sin2x))^2
Reply 65
I also used that, but I was, basically, doing it wrong xD
Reply 66
Original post by Unkempt_One
I think I got (A/4)X^4 + Ax + x^2 + B. I'm fairly sure x^2 was a positive sign because u=(dy/dx)-2x

YAAAY - Actually, I think I got positive too - I just cudnt remember:smile: How was that 8 marks though?
YAAAY - Actually, I think I got positive too - I just cudnt remember:smile: How was that 8 marks though?

Not sure. I did a C4-style differential equation solving stage, which involved an integration by substitution, and then a C2 integration. It felt like 8 marks to me though, because it was quite long.
Reply 68
Original post by Unkempt_One
Not sure. I did a C4-style differential equation solving stage, which involved an integration by substitution, and then a C2 integration. It felt like 8 marks to me though, because it was quite long.

But we got the same answer?
Reply 69
I didn't use substitution because it the integrand was in the form f(x)f(x)\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}
Original post by gillyhl

Which question is that for? Defo don't recgonise that D:
Original post by gillyhl
I didn't use substitution because it the integrand was in the form f(x)f(x)\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}

Yeah, but remembering standard integrals . . . pfft
Reply 72
Loved this exam!! Strangely alot easier than Core 4!
But we got the same answer?

Apparently. I can't quite follow what you did.
I thought the exam was ok, there were a couple of hard bits but not as many as in fp2!
What were you supposed to do for Q4 where it had the integral of sinxsin2x?
Original post by Igiveup12345
I thought the exam was ok, there were a couple of hard bits but not as many as in fp2!

It works out as the integral of 2((sinx)^2)cosx, as sin2x=2sinxcosx So you use the substitution u=sinx and go from there.
Reply 76
Original post by Igiveup12345

2sin^2 xcosx and then substitution :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by SmileyGurl13
Which question is that for? Defo don't recgonise that D:

It was for the limits question where you had to differentiate twice.
Thank you :smile: I think I did something along those lines, or at least I got halfway there so I might get some marks! :s-smilie:
Reply 79
Haha ok - well I'll try to explain better:

(x^3 + 1)du/dx = (3x^2)u

(1/u)(du/dx) = (3x^2)/(x^3 + 1) by dividing u down and dividing by (x^3 + 1).

lnu = ((3x^2) ln (x^3 + 1)) / 3x^2 + c Integrating. Divide the log by the differential of (x^3 +1) which is (3x^2) which cancels with the first bit.

ln u = ln (x^3 + 1) + c
u = e^ (ln (x^3 + 1) + c)
u = (x^3 + 1)e^c e^c = A
u = A(x^3 + 1)
u = dy/dx - 2x from beginning of q
dy/dx = u + 2x
dy/dx = A(x^3 + 1) + 2x integrate
y = (A/4)x^4 + Ax + x^2 + b

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending