The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by doggyfizzel
1 year left yes, but there was intrest from Liverpool which I think pushed the price up. I think if there was a longer contract you would be looking at Darren Bent money.

I wouldn't say he is hit and miss, as I posted before.

2010/11 Aston Villa 34 (0) 7 and 11 assists
2009/10 Aston Villa 37 (0) 5 and 10 assists
2008/09 Aston Villa 36 (0) 8 and 9 assists
2007/08 Aston Villa 37 (0) 8 and 17 assists

That is a record which suggest class rather than form, and good fitness levels. I think he will do really well at a bigger club.

And these aren't even his most impressive stats - you should look up his free kicks & pens won :colondollar:

I will point out, to avoid confusion, no not free kicks and pens actually taken by him though. That record is ****ing ****
Reply 381
1 year left yes, but there was intrest from Liverpool which I think pushed the price up.

Not really tbh. He came out after the england game and said he'd only leave for a CL club, which pretty much just left your lot.

That is a record which suggest class rather than form, and good fitness levels. I think he will do really well at a bigger club.

I mean his tendency to drift out of games.

Depends where he gets played I imagine.
Reply 382
Original post by evantej
Real Madrid paid £15m for Ozil and he had less than a year left on his contract so it is not really that expensive or uncommon. Whether Young is better than Ozil is another thing though

Ozils transfer fee was so low because they couldn't create a bidding war as Ozil had made it pretty clear he wanted to go to Madrid and no one else.
Original post by evantej
The point is not how long he had left on his contract, but the fact United paid less than Liverpool for someone who can fit straight into the team.

Eh?
Original post by L18
Not really tbh. He came out after the england game and said he'd only leave for a CL club, which pretty much just left your lot.
I think still would have left for Liverpool. You have a decent chance of making top 4 if the right transfers are made, he would of been one of them. The 1 year deal only pushed the price down to a silly level if there is a chance of losing them in 1 years time. I think the fact 2 clubs were interested meant that wasn't going to happen.

Maybe it isn't cheap, but as I see it, we got a £25m player for £16 and he will fill a gap in our team perfectly.
Reply 384
he will fill a gap in our team perfectly.

What gap though, apart from a back up squad player?

Surely Nani and Valencia have to keep their places on the wings?

Thank **** you lot are servicing hundreds of millions of pounds od debt is all I can say, because you'd be outspending everyone every season fi you didn't.
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
The boy just can't stop scoring. 21 goals in 28 now for Mexico

Mexico should have killed them, had so many chances, Honduras nearly nicked it at the end. Was a frustrating night for Hernandez 'til that goal, I love the enthusiasm of the guy and how happy he looks whenever he scores.
Original post by L18

Thank **** you lot are servicing hundreds of millions of pounds od debt is all I can say, because you'd be outspending everyone every season fi you didn't.

The gap behind the striker maybe? Or on the wing (since it's pretty rare for wingers to go a season injury-free and it's not like Nani is setting the world alight on the left)? And Giggs isn't going to play forever.
Original post by L18

Valencia is right sided only, has no left foot at all. Nani is a right sided winger, far less effective on the left. Other than that we only have Park who is a midfielder not a winger, Giggs isn't even left sided half the time now, let alone a winger. Nani will swap wings I would imagine, but will mainly be alternated with Valencia depending on the type of game we play and the opposition.

I think this season we have spent big as the team has needed some major surgery. Harg, VDS, Scholes, Neville, soon Giggs, that in combination with the loss of Tevez and Ronaldo who have changed the shape of the team. I think the Glazers realise the club needs to be successful to have any chance of shaking their damn debt.
Original post by L18
Got him cheap?

Deary me.

What was that about Andy Carroll?
Original post by Mastermind`
Mexico should have killed them, had so many chances, Honduras nearly nicked it at the end. Was a frustrating night for Hernandez 'til that goal, I love the enthusiasm of the guy and how happy he looks whenever he scores.

What was he gesturing at the crowd?
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
What was he gesturing at the crowd?

No idea, all I noticed was him kissing the badge. :colondollar:
Reply 391
Happy enough with Young, maybe a couple million too much but we can't complain as long as we've got the cash for spending elsewhere. I'd imagine it'll end up being a shootout between him and Nani for the LW spot, Park will get a look in for some of the tougher games though. Valencia's spot on the right is far from guaranteed though with Nani challenging him, and on a similar note I don't think Hernandez is as nailed onto a starting spot as it would seem. Berba will get his chances.
Reply 392
Original post by internetstephen
What was that about Andy Carroll?

I've never said Carroll was cheap though, but carry on
There's very little correlation between transfer fees and the remainder of a player's contract. Sometimes you can get players cheaply if their contract is running down, but if a team doesn't need to sell a player then they certainly won't let him go cheaply. Villa did not need to sell Young, they wanted to sell him but only at the right price.

Also, another clubs transfer fees does not dictate what anyone else pays, it's to do with demand and supply, hence why Carroll's fee was inflated for 'Pool - everyone knew how much Torres went for, hence Newcastle just said '£35m' probably expecting to be laughed at, but Liverpool needed a striker and there were very few available so they agreed the fee.
Young is an exciting prospect for us, he seems a good lad and a hard worker on the training pitch so I've no doubt that playing at the top level will boost his output on the field. Besides his set pieces, I've not seen him score too many goals in open play for Villa so I think if deployed in the middle, with his foot skills, he'll get himself more opportunities to score. His versatility is another plus point but interesting to see how the likes of Nani and Valencia respond next season, maybe the signing of this chap will get them even more determined to keep their place and for the former, to recapture that form he had at the start of last season.
Reply 395
I think with our training and demands Young will flourish, it may take him some time but I'm sure he's capable of it. He sure can roam all across midfield and help out on the left where I think he'll primarily be deployed. Now to sort out the CM issue...
Reply 396
Not sure if this has been posted :

? Edwin van der Sar’s testimonial ?
Marc Overmars, Jari Litmanen, Clarence Seedorf, Nemanja Vidic and Gary Neville been confirmed to feature in Edwin van der Sar’s testimonial.Other names confirmed by Van der Sar (so far): Frank de Boer (who’ll play 45 mins), Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes and Alessandro Del Piero.
Oh to be able to go to Amsterdam in August. Football stars past and present, and other stuff..... :moon:
Happy with the transfer. Regardless of what people say about young he's a decent buy who can take set pieces something manchester united players can't seem to do. How many times have we watched the team waste a corner or a freekick?

Original post by L18
Got him cheap?

Deary me.

16 million is decent for a player of his ability. He's still relatively young and can prove to be quite an asset for the team. Nani isn't likely going to stay at manchetser united forever. When valencia and nani got injured, the team was in shables trying to play a winger. I remember one game gibson was forced onto the right, i wanted to cry...
Im not sure Young is a player who will reduce the gap between yourselves and Barcelona. He will consolidate the domestic situation but until you have two top quality central midfielders - a holder and a passer - then you will be behind.

Latest