The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SirMasterKey

tvcatchup.com, need to register, but its epic, all fv channels, and has mobil sites too. and register means register, not pay, its free
Original post by rorydaredking
Erm no it was fine, vaguely remember it seeming louder than normal, might have a sound reflective effect. And yep the amsterdam tournament. Was great value as you get to see both games with the 1 ticket

Cool, I've never had a chance to go to a pre-season tournament like that with 2 games on the same day. Wanted to go when we played in Munich for the Audi Cup but never got around to it.

There was one like that at Old Trafford a few years ago that I had a comp ticket for through the club and it got called off because of severe thunderstorms. Think it was going to be us, Boca Junoirs, some Japanese team and I cant even remember who the other one was. Another European side anyway.
Original post by IanDangerously
Cool, I've never had a chance to go to a pre-season tournament like that with 2 games on the same day. Wanted to go when we played in Munich for the Audi Cup but never got around to it.

There was one like that at Old Trafford a few years ago that I had a comp ticket for through the club and it got called off because of severe thunderstorms. Think it was going to be us, Boca Junoirs, some Japanese team and I cant even remember who the other one was. Another European side anyway.

I remember watching that on TV actually. First game was played wasn't it? Then the United game for the 2nd one was called off. Presentation was done in the tunnel. 2004 I think it was and PSV? We were due to play the Japanese team.
Original post by SirMasterKey
I remember watching that on TV actually. First game was played wasn't it? Then the United game for the 2nd one was called off. Presentation was done in the tunnel. 2004 I think it was and PSV? We were due to play the Japanese team.

I'm fairly sure Boca won the tournament. I know I ended up not going even though I had a ticket so I have no idea what came up but now you mention it I can remember the first game being played ... was it played in full or called off? That long ago I can't rememeber!

It's possible that I just decided not to go because I remember the weather in Manchester all day that day was absolutely atrocious and the comp seats used to be in South lower about 6 rows from the pitch where all the wind and rain lands right on you. I'd have been like a drowned rat before kick-off.
Original post by IanDangerously
I'm guessing to stop us throwing things onto the field, I hope it doesnt feel annoying with the glass though? Does it impair your view a bit?

Still find it amazing we haven't played competitively in the Dam since 76. Did you go for the pre-season?

Sound, it looks like a very impressive stadium from what I've seen. This will be my first time in Amsterdam so I'm really looking forward to it, heard its an amazing city to visit? We've been warned to stay away from that training ground cos Ajax fans congregate there but apparantly its right opposite the away end ... is it really that close that it's going to be a problem?

I'll probably be watching Arsenal's game in a bar over there, always nice to see other games the night before we play on a euro away. Watched that thrilling 2-2 draw between AC and Barcelona on MD1 in a restaurant in Lisbon. :biggrin:

Awesome city, yep. The training ground really is that close to the stadium, certainly from what I can remember.

Enjoy yourself. High on the football and the overall experience, not high on anything else!!

:colondollar:
'Nani @luisnani
I'm back with the team, boarding now for Holland and ready to play if necessary. Thank you for all the kind messages that I received.'

:woo:

Reds name 20 man squad

United are taking a strong 20-man squad to Amsterdam for the Europa League tie against Ajax with Nani, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones all back from injury.

Ashley Young also travels after missing the win over Liverpool last weekend but Ryan Giggs, Dimitar Berbatov and Patrice Evra remain at home.

Sir Alex has remained true to his word and selected a strong travelling party as he intends to take the competition seriously despite slipping out of the Champions League last year.

Anders Lindegaard, Nemanja Vidic, Darren Fletcher, Anderson and Michael Owen are among those still sidelined but the injury situation is starting to look a little healthier with Tom Cleverley also primed for his first action since October after making the bench on Saturday.

Despite plenty of talk that the boss would field a number of youngsters in the Europa League, Ezekiel Fryers and Paul Pogba are the only reserve-team regulars on the plane.

United: De Gea, Amos; Fabio, Rafael, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Fryers, Ferdinand; Valencia, Nani, Carrick, Young, Park, Scholes, Cleverley, Pogba; Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck

No Evra, Giggs or Berb. Whatdya think? Looks like he is going through with promising a good strength squad. Now only him and the gods know exactly what lineup will go out.

+

West Ham youngster Morrison charged over homophobic tweet before even making his debut
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
'Nani @luisnani
I'm back with the team, boarding now for Holland and ready to play if necessary. Thank you for all the kind messages that I received.'

:woo:

Reds name 20 man squad

United are taking a strong 20-man squad to Amsterdam for the Europa League tie against Ajax with Nani, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones all back from injury.

Ashley Young also travels after missing the win over Liverpool last weekend but Ryan Giggs, Dimitar Berbatov and Patrice Evra remain at home.

Sir Alex has remained true to his word and selected a strong travelling party as he intends to take the competition seriously despite slipping out of the Champions League last year.

Anders Lindegaard, Nemanja Vidic, Darren Fletcher, Anderson and Michael Owen are among those still sidelined but the injury situation is starting to look a little healthier with Tom Cleverley also primed for his first action since October after making the bench on Saturday.

Despite plenty of talk that the boss would field a number of youngsters in the Europa League, Ezekiel Fryers and Paul Pogba are the only reserve-team regulars on the plane.

United: De Gea, Amos; Fabio, Rafael, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Fryers, Ferdinand; Valencia, Nani, Carrick, Young, Park, Scholes, Cleverley, Pogba; Rooney, Hernandez, Welbeck

No Evra, Giggs or Berb. Whatdya think? Looks like he is going through with promising a good strength squad. Now only him and the gods know exactly what lineup will go out.

+

West Ham youngster Morrison charged over homophobic tweet before even making his debut

I noticed Kuz played for the reserves and not Amos. Although I'd like to see De Gea play tonight. Would be cruel on De Gea if Amos was picked instead.

I'd like us to take this competition seriously. We're out of the CL, FA Cup and Carling Cup, we shouldn't be putting all our eggs in one basket.

Winning the league and Europa competition would represent an excellent double, and a different double to our usual ones...

Morrison is a bell-end, it's clear for all to see.
Original post by white_haired_wizard

I noticed Kuz played for the reserves and not Amos. Although I'd like to see De Gea play tonight. Would be cruel on De Gea if Amos was picked instead.

I'd like us to take this competition seriously. We're out of the CL, FA Cup and Carling Cup, we shouldn't be putting all our eggs in one basket.

Winning the league and Europa competition would represent an excellent double, and a different double to our usual ones...

Morrison is a bell-end, it's clear for all to see.

FFS the lad needs a break, he's 18 years old getting called all sorts by who knows who, replies with a word most people use on a daily basis and is charged with bringing the dame into disrepute. Ridiculous really. What a player says on twitter has zero to do with the FA, except if they talk about a referee or another player. The people responsible for abusive/offensive language or harassment on twitter are the police.
Reply 7988
Surprised Berbatov hasn't gone. I assumed the Europa League would be the competition he plays in.
FFS the lad needs a break, he's 18 years old getting called all sorts by who knows who, replies with a word most people use on a daily basis and is charged with bringing the dame into disrepute. Ridiculous really. What a player says on twitter has zero to do with the FA, except if they talk about a referee or another player. The people responsible for abusive/offensive language or harassment on twitter are the police.

I use **** on a daily basis doesnt mean if im in the spotlight like he is i can go around saying it.

It doesnt have Zero to do with the FA, it has plenty to do with the FA. If a player is judged to be acting immaturely or offensively by people who look at his twitter, it will leave a bad image for them of the layer, their club and thus football in general, even if its small.

The kid needs to watch his mouth and realize he will have thousands of kids and such looking up to him and to show some respect.

The lad needs to get a grip and stop pissing his career down the drain. Also got to wonder who he has as an agent or adviser as it's clearly not working at present. Just needs to be told to keep quiet, keep out of trouble, work hard and let his football do the talking. That's what he is or should be afterall, a footballer.
Original post by Tommyjw
I use **** on a daily basis doesnt mean if im in the spotlight like he is i can go around saying it.

It doesnt have Zero to do with the FA, it has plenty to do with the FA. If a player is judged to be acting immaturely or offensively by people who look at his twitter, it will leave a bad image for them of the layer, their club and thus football in general, even if its small.

The kid needs to watch his mouth and realize he will have thousands of kids and such looking up to him and to show some respect.

agreed. The FA, besides racism, fight homophobia, amongst other issues in football. They have a responsibility to clamp down and punish any bell-ends that cross the line and come out with something that can harm other people.
Original post by Tommyjw

The lad needs to get a grip and stop pissing his career down the drain. Also got to wonder who he has as an agent or adviser as it's clearly not working at present. Just needs to be told to keep quiet, keep out of trouble, work hard and let his football do the talking. That's what he is or should be afterall, a footballer.

Its not like he has used the N word, he's used a word used in everyday life. Next we will be saying players can't swear in the street in case some kid that looks up to them hears. Footballers responsibilities end when they're not playing football for me. Unless they bring the game into serious disrepute, i.e by having criminal charges brought against them.
I agree, what happens when they are representing their club or nation and when they are in their private lives, which twitter is part of even if it is a very public platform are seperate. Unless a club has written a twitter clause into a contract then I don't see what is has to do with the FA or the club.
(edited 12 years ago)
Its not like he has used the N word, he's used a word used in everyday life. Next we will be saying players can't swear in the street in case some kid that looks up to them hears. Footballers responsibilities end when they're not playing football for me. Unless they bring the game into serious disrepute, i.e by having criminal charges brought against them.

They can't (well, they physically can, but it might be agaan arresstable offence and certainly worthy of condemnation regardless). Public Order Act Section Five.

Though I admit this isn't specific to footballers.

Anyway, I really don't care for the petulant ****. He's no longer playing for us. More important things.
Nice to see us taking a strong squad, looks like we are taking it quite seriously.
@WayneRooeny
Roses are red, violets are blue, Suarez scored one but I (Wayne Rooney) scored two. #ValentinesPoems #ValentinesDay

Haha

The internet is now a public domain, whether you like it or not. Swearing on Twitter nowadays will draw almost as much attention as doing it on camera during a match a la Rooney. Trashy newspapers even use Twitter now to fabricate stories. If you're a figure in the public spotlight you have a social obligation to behave yourself, and if you don't you're going to get flak for it, that's just a fact of modern life. Tbh all this 'give the kid a break' stuff rankles with me anyway because by all accounts he sounds like a complete, ungrateful **** who can't see how lucky he is. Can you imagine turning down a contract at Old Trafford cos' you want more than the thousands of pounds they're already paying you per week? Absolutely ridiculous, as others have said he needs to get his head on straight and start concentrating more on his football and less on being an amateur gangster/all-round prick.
Original post by Solid_Snake7
The internet is now a public domain, whether you like it or not. Swearing on Twitter nowadays will draw almost as much attention as doing it on camera during a match a la Rooney. Trashy newspapers even use Twitter now to fabricate stories. If you're a figure in the public spotlight you have a social obligation to behave yourself, and if you don't you're going to get flak for it, that's just a fact of modern life. Tbh all this 'give the kid a break' stuff rankles with me anyway because by all accounts he sounds like a complete, ungrateful **** who can't see how lucky he is. Can you imagine turning down a contract at Old Trafford cos' you want more than the thousands of pounds they're already paying you per week? Absolutely ridiculous, as others have said he needs to get his head on straight and start concentrating more on his football and less on being an amateur gangster/all-round prick.

nail on the head. Absolute spot-on post there. Shame I've run out of neg for today.

Bring back the days when young players cleaned senior player's boots etc. Some young players need a good lesson like this, a good slap, some think they've made it when they really haven't/far from it.
Players need to realise that twitter is a public platform and when they are speaking in public they are representing their club.

Tunnicliffe has got the right idea.

Ryan Tunnicliffe
I'm a nice guy, don't want to swear on a social networking site :smile: #professionalism

Latest