The Student Room Group

Is maths A level necessary for biomedical science?

Hi guys, I'm really confused here :frown: I want to study biomedical science at uni next year. I've already looked at a lot of uni websites for subject requirements and most of them generally ask for chemistry and biology (which I already plan on taking anyway) . At the moment I'm taking maths, chemistry, biology and psychology for AS. I didn't really enjoy maths and want to drop it but I'm afraid that if I do might hinder my chance of getting accepted.
What do I do? Do I try and stick with maths or does it not really matter and I go with psychology? :confused:
Original post by Vday
Hi guys, I'm really confused here :frown: I want to study biomedical science at uni next year. I've already looked at a lot of uni websites for subject requirements and most of them generally ask for chemistry and biology (which I already plan on taking anyway) . At the moment I'm taking maths, chemistry, biology and psychology for AS. I didn't really enjoy maths and want to drop it but I'm afraid that if I do might hinder my chance of getting accepted.
What do I do? Do I try and stick with maths or does it not really matter and I go with psychology? :confused:

Email universities and find out. I would imagine maths is more useful than psychology for biomed.

Is there any particular reason why you dislike maths? The amount of resources for maths make it quite easy to get a good grade provided you try hard!!
Reply 2
No it isn't.
Reply 3
Original post by Freerider101

Original post by Freerider101
Email universities and find out. I would imagine maths is more useful than psychology for biomed.

Is there any particular reason why you dislike maths? The amount of resources for maths make it quite easy to get a good grade provided you try hard!!

I've always been ok maths but not absolutely brilliant. I got an A in GCSE maths so I decided to give it a shot at AS but it's never been my best subject.
Original post by Vday
I've always been ok maths but not absolutely brilliant. I got an A in GCSE maths so I decided to give it a shot at AS but it's never been my best subject.

I got an A for GCSE maths too. I found the step from GCSE to AS massive and on my first attempt of C1 got 75, although it was partly down to the teaching and that I didn't try all the different type of questions. I retook C1 in June along side with C2 and got 90 and 95 after being more thorough. And I felt that C3 was a natural transition from C2 and got 97 . And then C4 is less challenging than C3 since the papers are all very similar. So if you've done okay in C1 and C2 then C3 and C4 should be fine.

Also I find with maths as you go along though the course you know you can do a topic and its easy to refresh. With chemistry there is a lot of memorisation and so whilst I may understand a topic thoroughly when I learn it. I may have forgotten in a few months time. So really what I'm suggesting is psychology, chemistry and biology are all like that. Whereas if you did maths instead of psychology it would be more contrasting possibly?

You could continue 4 and see how it goes and drop your least favourite a few weeks into the course! Don't feel rushed into making a decision though!
Reply 5
The majority of biosci degrees normally ask for Chemistry A2, or two sciences including chem. I did maths to AS, and it didn't really have any use during my degree.
Reply 6
I'm in the exact position as you with those 4 a levels, I really enjoy psychology and I'm doing better in it than but I feel like I need maths to get into biomed, have no idea what to do :frown:
Reply 7
Maths is certainly a big help in a Biomedical Science degree, but it isn't compulsory. Chemistry is definitely far more important than Maths. The most Maths related aspects of the course are to do with statistics and data interpretation. The Chemistry aspects of the course contain some elements of Maths (molarity/concentration, Henderson-Hasselbalch equations, etc), but it isn't too strenuous.
Reply 8
I did bio maths chem psych and have applied for biomed. I dropped chem - Kind of failed it :/- so doing bio maths psych for A2. They dont really mind most of time as long as you have the grades then you are set :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending