The Student Room Group

Going Into Biomedical Science With Applied Science

Hi,I was wondering if it was possible to apply to biomedical science with Applied Science and 2 other non relating A Level subjects. I'm about to go to year 13 but during lock-down and before lock-down I have had horrible luck and done badly throughout year 12. My great grandmother passed away during lock-down, who I had lived with throughout my whole childhood. I haven't been able to concentrate during lock-down during my grievances. I also had a lot of trouble with my mother during year 12. She wouldn't let me revise as she saw my priority was to take care of the house and she would threaten to take me out of 6th form. She's very verbally insulting and it breaks me down. I've been incredibly stressed out. I also had not done well in my GCSE's due to my mother. She has been doing this for 2 years now and it has held me back significantly. Now my head of year said I have no choice but to redo year 12 and pick different subjects. I want to redo year 12 however with the same subjects. My subjects were: Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. I loved all of these subjects and I have no interest in anything else. I feel as though I could do well if I had a chance to strive and revise. I told my head of year some of the things that have been happening but nothing of my great grandmother and my mother. I don't want him to think I'm making excuses to just take these subjects again. I want to move schools to somewhere where they'll let me take these subjects but I love this school it's a great school, and my brother just started year 7 and I don't want to leave him alone scared. I'm thinking about going into more details with what's been happening at home via email. But for the time being, I'll need a plan B. So is it possible to apply to Biomedical science with Applied Science? Thank you for reading this.
Reply 1
If you really want to do Biomedical Science, you can continue doing the Applied Science with 2 other A Levels and just take a Foundation year for Biomedical Science. The Foundation Year is like taking Biology and Chemistry A Level but you would also do other modules that will help you for Level 4.

I did Applied Science Subsidiary diploma, ICT and Business diploma during A Levels and I’m now an incoming second year Biomedical Science student.

There are lots of universities offering a 4 year course of Biomedical Science with Integrated Foundation Year. I haven’t really seen a university which will accept you straight into 1st year Biomedical Science if you only took Applied Science that’s equivalent to one A Level.

With your GCSE grades, I think as long as you have 5 GCSEs That are C (or equivalent) including Maths, and English and sometimes Science (depends on the university) you’ll be fine. Anyway, I hope you’re doing well. :smile:
Original post by xNnehc
If you really want to do Biomedical Science, you can continue doing the Applied Science with 2 other A Levels and just take a Foundation year for Biomedical Science. The Foundation Year is like taking Biology and Chemistry A Level but you would also do other modules that will help you for Level 4.

I did Applied Science Subsidiary diploma, ICT and Business diploma during A Levels and I’m now an incoming second year Biomedical Science student.

There are lots of universities offering a 4 year course of Biomedical Science with Integrated Foundation Year. I haven’t really seen a university which will accept you straight into 1st year Biomedical Science if you only took Applied Science that’s equivalent to one A Level.

With your GCSE grades, I think as long as you have 5 GCSEs That are C (or equivalent) including Maths, and English and sometimes Science (depends on the university) you’ll be fine. Anyway, I hope you’re doing well. :smile:

I appreciate you helping me out.

So if I were to do Applied Science, Criminology and Psychology, I could still do Biomedical Science but with a foundation year? Would it be a stretch if I could apply to dentistry or medicine during it? (Probably not medicine though). I'd like to keep my options open. I don't know if I'd want to stay in biomedical science, or move on to dentistry or medicine. So if I change my mind, would they look at my A Level subject or just how well I do in uni?
Reply 3
Original post by SilveringBlue
I appreciate you helping me out.

So if I were to do Applied Science, Criminology and Psychology, I could still do Biomedical Science but with a foundation year? Would it be a stretch if I could apply to dentistry or medicine during it? (Probably not medicine though). I'd like to keep my options open. I don't know if I'd want to stay in biomedical science, or move on to dentistry or medicine. So if I change my mind, would they look at my A Level subject or just how well I do in uni?

Yes. You can apply for a Foundation year regardless of what you’re doing in A Levels since almost all the university that offers foundation year only wants UCAS points as a requirement and 5A*s-C GCSEs or equivalent including Maths and English (sometimes Science).

I don’t think you can apply to medicine during your course since they will look into your A Levels or if your current grades are good enough (if you’re doing well in Biomedical Science) they would still look into your GCSE.

However, if you finish your Biomedical Science degree with a good grade i.e. a first or 2:1, you could try and apply to graduate medicine. So you still have a chance to do medicine. But bare in mind that this is competitive.
I think it’s the same with dentistry. I’m not really sure when it comes to that. I’m doing Biomedical Science atm and will apply for graduate medicine afterwards.
Pray to Allah and your problems will be sorted If God Wills
Original post by xNnehc
Yes. You can apply for a Foundation year regardless of what you’re doing in A Levels since almost all the university that offers foundation year only wants UCAS points as a requirement and 5A*s-C GCSEs or equivalent including Maths and English (sometimes Science).

I don’t think you can apply to medicine during your course since they will look into your A Levels or if your current grades are good enough (if you’re doing well in Biomedical Science) they would still look into your GCSE.

However, if you finish your Biomedical Science degree with a good grade i.e. a first or 2:1, you could try and apply to graduate medicine. So you still have a chance to do medicine. But bare in mind that this is competitive.
I think it’s the same with dentistry. I’m not really sure when it comes to that. I’m doing Biomedical Science atm and will apply for graduate medicine afterwards.

You know what scares me is that this is a very competitive course and the university might pick people that did A biology, A Level chemistry and A Level math, what I am totally freaked about imagen get D*D* in diploma for applied science but still not making it, I spoke to my university I am planning to go to, thank god they don't do that; but doubts are still roaming in my dreams 🥶🥶🥶🥶 so what do you think what are chances of me doing biomedical science with applied science, compared to other A level students would it be the same as them? Or they have more advantage, I am right now doing applied science diploma and single ICT. (Both are BTEC not sure if that is a good combination💀, imagen starting A Levels and having these fears ever day, plz reply if you know the answer.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending