The Student Room Group

Can I do mbbs after btec

Hey there, I wanted to ask if someone can do mbbs after doing btec. I'm doing btec level 2 in science rn.... if I can do mbbs then what will be the pathway?? What things will I need???
Original post by Saira bano
Hey there, I wanted to ask if someone can do mbbs after doing btec. I'm doing btec level 2 in science rn.... if I can do mbbs then what will be the pathway?? What things will I need???

Level 2 BTEC is equivalent to GCSEs and not A levels so will not be acceptable on its own for a MBBS degree. You will need L3 qualifications . Some Universities may accept the BTEC L3 in Applied Science, but will likely ask for additional A level in Biology. Best bet is to check out some uni websites and see what they accept
Reply 3
Original post by bamtutor
Level 2 BTEC is equivalent to GCSEs and not A levels so will not be acceptable on its own for a MBBS degree. You will need L3 qualifications . Some Universities may accept the BTEC L3 in Applied Science, but will likely ask for additional A level in Biology. Best bet is to check out some uni websites and see what they accept

Thanks for ur reply. Yes I'm willing to to extended level 3 next year but I don't know how can I do A levels. Can u advice on that
Thanks for ur reply. Yes I'm willing to to extended level 3 next year but I don't know how can I do A levels. Can u advice on that

If you have the necessary GCSE'S you can do A levels. Check with your college/ Sixth form. If you are doing L2 science because you don't have the GCSE'S, you might be able to progress to L3 applied science if you get a Merit or Distinction overall. Check which UNIS may accept that.

Take a look in Entry requirements for UK medical schools (2023 entry) and search for BTEC. You will find the following accept a BTEC without an accompanying A level:

University of Bristol Medical School's MB ChB Gateway to Medicine (A108) - 6 years - accept "DMM in Applied Sciences, Medical Sciences or Health and Social Care (Science pathway)."
Hull York Medical School's Medicine with a Gateway Year (A101) - 6 years - accept "BTEC: Distinction-Distinction-Distinction (DDD) in the BTEC Extended National Diploma in Applied Science (Biomedical Science)"
University of Plymouth Peninsula Medical School's BMBS Medicine with a Foundation Year (A102) - 6 years - accept "DDM in a relevant subject, which must contain units covering sufficient Biology and another science."

Three things to note:
These are all 6-year courses.
They all require a BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in a specific subject. (One or more Extended Certificates, which is what you mentioned, won't qualify).
They're often very fussy about the BTEC subject. For example, Hull won't accept any Extended Diploma in Applied Science - it must be the Biomedical Science variant of Applied Science.

The only BTEC which all three will accept is the Biological Sciences pathway of Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending