The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

TenaciousMonkey

update, offers from Durham and Warwick
Interview for Manchester :biggrin:

Anyone got some tips?
Tend to get way too nervous about interviews than I need too.. :P
For my insurance I now need to decide between Hertfordshire and Nottingham Trent, Hertfordshire have given a slightly easier offer but its negligible really. Any thoughts? :smile:
Reply 1383
Original post by Stevo F
For my insurance I now need to decide between Hertfordshire and Nottingham Trent, Hertfordshire have given a slightly easier offer but its negligible really. Any thoughts? :smile:

I've applied to both and I think I'm going to put Herts as my insurance, the course looks better and the staff have seemed more enthusiastic and helpful when I've spoken to them.
It depends on how you value nightlife etc aswell, as Herts isn't going to be nearly as good as NTU because of location etc.
Original post by Kvitty
I've applied to both and I think I'm going to put Herts as my insurance, the course looks better and the staff have seemed more enthusiastic and helpful when I've spoken to them.
It depends on how you value nightlife etc aswell, as Herts isn't going to be nearly as good as NTU because of location etc.

Fair enough, i'm veering towards Herts for my insurance now :smile:
Original post by Fing4
Anyone had An interview at Nottingham? What's it like?

I got a straight offer, with an invite to a visit day. The campus is nice, green, large. Halls aren't bad! The informal chat I had was quite good, just got asked about stuff I'd put on personal statement.
Original post by Fing4
So you don't get asked any physics/maths questions?
oh :frown:, I like those sorts of questions

Nope, no physics or maths in MINE. Unsure about how it went for others. I mean, you could direct things towards talking about what you like in physics or maths, but they probably won't get you to actually do any right there and then.
Original post by Oromis263
I got a straight offer, with an invite to a visit day. The campus is nice, green, large. Halls aren't bad! The informal chat I had was quite good, just got asked about stuff I'd put on personal statement.

just out of curiousity, whats the department like at nottingham in terms of facilities, staff, lecture halls, general building, etc compared to other unis you've visited?
Original post by internet tough guy
just out of curiousity, whats the department like at nottingham in terms of facilities, staff, lecture halls, general building, etc compared to other unis you've visited?

Facilities: The undergrad labs are decent, the first experiment you do, in the first couple of weeks, is using the miniature STM they have to take an image of carbon sheets. The other labs are pretty good too. They have a 7T NMR machine for
research purposes, but it's probably not useable by undergrads. They have two telescopes on the roof that you can go use whenever, once you've had the training.

Staff: All really friendly, and very honest. Managed to sell the university really well, whilst still not getting overly preach-y etc

Lecture Halls: Pretty standard really, we went into the main big one for undergrads, but there are other smaller ones for the smaller modules in later years.

General building: There are two main buildings, one is the Physics Department, and the other, smaller one, is more office rooms for researchers and the astronomy department.

I've only seen Cambridge and Edinburgh, will be visiting Lancaster this week.
Facilities: The undergrad labs are decent, the first experiment you do, in the first couple of weeks, is using the miniature STM they have to take an image of carbon sheets. The other labs are pretty good too. They have a 7T NMR machine for
research purposes, but it's probably not useable by undergrads. They have two telescopes on the roof that you can go use whenever, once you've had the training.

Staff: All really friendly, and very honest. Managed to sell the university really well, whilst still not getting overly preach-y etc

Lecture Halls: Pretty standard really, we went into the main big one for undergrads, but there are other smaller ones for the smaller modules in later years.

General building: There are two main buildings, one is the Physics Department, and the other, smaller one, is more office rooms for researchers and the astronomy department.

oh ok then, not too bad I see. It probably doesn't compare as well to cambridge, but how does it fare with edinburgh?
Original post by hattifnatt
Interview for Manchester :biggrin:

Anyone got some tips?
Tend to get way too nervous about interviews than I need too.. :P

Anyone who gets an interview at Manchester is guaranteed an offer. The interview is simple a chat to see what you're like as a person. They use it to tweak your offer by a grade or two. That's all.

Hey I'm going to Lancaster in 2 weeks, let me know what you think!
Original post by internet tough guy
oh ok then, not too bad I see. It probably doesn't compare as well to cambridge, but how does it fare with edinburgh?

Decent, I personally prefer the Edinburgh lecture theatres, but in terms of the facilities, I didn't get to go to their labs so I can't say. Edinburgh has an Irish guy who whistles his s' though, so you know...

Original post by DonWorryJockIsHere
Hey I'm going to Lancaster in 2 weeks, let me know what you think!

Will do!
Has anyone been to a Durham visit day yet? If so, were there a lot of applicants with their parents at the visit day?
Original post by canlah2
Which one are you firming & insurance ? I am still waiting for Imperial & offers from ULC Warwick Manchester & Bristol ?

Still cannot decide, can anyone advise ?? Social life, location etc not an important issues, I value more on its research facilities, reputation, employability etc....
Can anyone care to advise ?

I'd go for UCL firm personally, practically the same prestige as imperial, with a much better social life, and exactly the same, if not better employment prospects than imperial.
Original post by nathgooner
I'd go for UCL firm personally, practically the same prestige as imperial, with a much better social life, and exactly the same, if not better employment prospects than imperial.

lolwut? Imperial has a massive reputation for science and engineering. Whilst UCL has a good Physics department, it isn't as highly ranked for Physics as other universities in the UK.
Reply 1397
Original post by _Say_Goodbye_

Original post by _Say_Goodbye_
Durham, Imperial (no replies yet, very worrying) and Bristol (offer AAB). I like Bristol, but in the same way as you go to Battersea dogs home to see a cute laborador puppy, getting all excited about it, only for your ma to fall in love with a half-blind, smelly old pug which you have to take home, in the seat next to you, just lying down farting away... you know the poor sod can't help it and it may have once been cute, but you would still throw it out the car window and run back for the laborador if the chance arose!

I'm waiting on Bristol as my last university to hear from, desperate to hear back just so i can finally make my firm choices!! If you don't mind me asking what are your predicted grades? and did you have an interview before they accepted you? I feel like they've left it really late if they're going to ask me to come for an interview so i'm not sure if i'll get an offer (hope i do though!)
Original post by vedderfan94
lolwut? Imperial has a massive reputation for science and engineering. Whilst UCL has a good Physics department, it isn't as highly ranked for Physics as other universities in the UK.

True I was going to apply for UCL physics (didnt in the end), the unversity as a whole has a good reputation, but researching about the physics department specifically it didnt seem to be as 'good' as the other ones. For me it was the physics department which was the most important factor, Lancaster and York are examples where they are probrably not seen as 'top' universities but the physics department there are high quality. I should add though that I have never visited UCL physics department.
Had a medical physics open day at UCL today, went rather well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending