The Student Room Group

Kaplan BMAT Book

Anyone selling it ? I'm willing to buy it need it for a friend please PM me.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Try amazon
Original post by ma'92
Anyone selling it ? I'm willing to buy it need it for a friend please PM me.

Thanks.

It seriously is not worth the money.
The section 2 (science section) is the largest section in the book and contains out of date info on the specification. It also goes way beyond what you need to know (covers A2 stuff like the Krebs Cycle) which will NEVER come up as the BMAT tests you on the GCSE Double Science specification that the year 13s of the cohort will have sat.
It's advice for sections 1 and 3 are rather generic and the reputation for that book is just a lot of hot air created by exploiting wannabe medics.
You're better off spending your money (and consequent time) on GCSE revision guides and critical thinking books.
Reply 3
Original post by purplefrog
It seriously is not worth the money.
The section 2 (science section) is the largest section in the book and contains out of date info on the specification. It also goes way beyond what you need to know (covers A2 stuff like the Krebs Cycle) which will NEVER come up as the BMAT tests you on the GCSE Double Science specification that the year 13s of the cohort will have sat.
It's advice for sections 1 and 3 are rather generic and the reputation for that book is just a lot of hot air created by exploiting wannabe medics.
You're better off spending your money (and consequent time) on GCSE revision guides and critical thinking books.

Thanks, I'm hoping to apply to UCL too as a grad. :smile: I heard by quite a few people that it's very good though, it helped them achieve very good scores.

What's 'the official bmat book' the one linked in your sig ?
Original post by ma'92
Thanks, I'm hoping to apply to UCL too as a grad. :smile: I heard by quite a few people that it's very good though, it helped them achieve very good scores.

What's 'the official bmat book' the one linked in your sig ?

http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/Secondary/Science/16OtherSciences/PreparingfortheBMAT/PreparingfortheBMAT.aspx

This one. It contains the latest style of questions linked to the new GCSE specification that you will be tested. A lot of the other books contain far harder science that won't be needed as the GCSE courses changed their content. So its more important to learn the new shallower GCSE double science course content inside out as the BMAT nit-picks at the really tiny details.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 5
The exam is unpredictable and by looking at the 2010 past paper,there have been quite a lot of questions requiring AS knowledge. The Kaplan book covers the whole specification but if you don't have enough time to cover everything then go through the past papers. Don't buy the official book (especially the latest edition) as it only covers the questions that you can find in the past papers. Alternatively, you could buy few books covering all the GCSE science and maths section as well for AS levels (only for science).
Reply 6
Original post by available
The exam is unpredictable and by looking at the 2010 past paper,there have been quite a lot of questions requiring AS knowledge. The Kaplan book covers the whole specification but if you don't have enough time to cover everything then go through the past papers. Don't buy the official book (especially the latest edition) as it only covers the questions that you can find in the past papers. Alternatively, you could buy few books covering all the GCSE science and maths section as well for AS levels (only for science).

Would you say the Kaplan book is worth the money ? That's a ridiculous amount. It's around £135 on amazon.
I've heard the Kaplan book is pretty rubbish. It's meant to have far too much detail.
Reply 8
I think Kaplan has stopped publishing this book but i remember people paid ridiculous amount to get hold of the remaining copies last year.

It's hard to tell if it's worth it (depending on individual cases) as one can still do well in the exam without using it. However, if you're finding it difficult to answer past paper questions then it could be worth trying.
Reply 9
Original post by Chief Wiggum

Original post by Chief Wiggum
I've heard the Kaplan book is pretty rubbish. It's meant to have far too much detail.

Have you heard it from people who've used it and said it was rubbish? If that's the case they wouldn't have scored high LOL
Have you heard it from people who've used it and said it was rubbish? If that's the case they wouldn't have scored high LOL

I've just heard it online that it has FAR FAR too much detail in section 2. It's meant to be OK for Section 1, but then so are other books.

I don't know anyone who used the kaplan book in real life, and it didn't stop them from scoring well lol.

There's "BMAT and UKCAT uncovered", "how to master the BMAT", the official book, and then just GCSE and AS Level science notes.

I wouldn't have thought the Kaplan book was overly necessary to be honest. I suppose there's no harm in getting it if money isn't an issue though.
Reply 11
Although, the book covers section 2 in depth but there is no doubt that there have been quite a lot of questions in the past papers that require AS knowledge.

The book starts off with the basic concepts and includes some extra stuff in the end but if you are studying AS Sceince topics then it's no harm learning some of the topics again.

I would go through the specficiation in depth rather than losing marks in the exam because of some silly questions and eventually not get interview/admission and wait another year.
Although, the book covers section 2 in depth but there is no doubt that there have been quite a lot of questions in the past papers that require AS knowledge.

The book starts off with the basic concepts and includes some extra stuff in the end but if you are studying AS Sceince topics then it's no harm learning some of the topics again.

I would go through the specficiation in depth rather than losing marks in the exam because of some silly questions and eventually not get interview/admission and wait another year.

But surely you have GCSE Science and AS Level science notes already, in a format that you are familiar with?

And trust me, from posts I've seen on the internet, the book goes beyond AS Level and beyond what will come up.

The BMAT is about application of knowledge, not having a ridiculously detailed knowledge.
Reply 13
As I mentioned earlier you don't need this book if you're comfortable with answering the past paper questions. In fact, you don't need any book if you have all the notes for science and maths as well as for crticial thinking.
Reply 14
So what sort of level is required because I have already done A-Levels in sciences (bio+chem) and maths. What examboard of A-Levels do they follow, because I suspect the topics taught between them differ.
Reply 15
The problem is knowing what exactly you need to learn as every book covers different topics. This is why you need to learn everything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending