The Student Room Group

ICAEW ACA Certificate Level - Accounting exam HELP!!!!

Hello, I sat my ACA Accounting exam for the third time last week and unfortunately I failed, meaning I only have one attempt remaining. I am feeling very upset and frustrated with this result, and I am unsure with what to do now. What is worse, is that I got a lower result on this attempt - 43%, than my previous attempt - 51%.
I have been in constant touch with Kaplan tutors via e-mail/livechat, asking for support on areas/questions which I have struggled to understand, and they have been super helpful. I have also re-done all of the Question Bank questions/mock questions/re-sit mocks/ICAEW Sample assessments etc, at least 10 times now, and have been getting close to full marks on them. I have also re-visited theory on areas which I feel weak on, so therefore I am unsure what more I can do now. I am considering re-doing the whole course, but this time in a Kaplan centre as I done it on-line last time, and also purchasing the ACA Masters course as I have heard good reviews. As well as this, I am considering leaving my full-time ACA trainee accountant role so that I can fully focus on passing this exam as I really cannot mess it up next time.
The issue that I have here is that in the real exam, this first long-form question is nothing compared to the questions I have been seeing/practising. The real exam has adjustments which are completely different/new, and I have not prepared for them, and therefore unsure how to deal with them. I guess I have to apply my theory and what I know, in order to answer the question, but it still does not help that they are completely different! HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS??!!!
Original post by lilyslavova
Hello, I sat my ACA Accounting exam for the third time last week and unfortunately I failed, meaning I only have one attempt remaining. I am feeling very upset and frustrated with this result, and I am unsure with what to do now. What is worse, is that I got a lower result on this attempt - 43%, than my previous attempt - 51%.
I have been in constant touch with Kaplan tutors via e-mail/livechat, asking for support on areas/questions which I have struggled to understand, and they have been super helpful. I have also re-done all of the Question Bank questions/mock questions/re-sit mocks/ICAEW Sample assessments etc, at least 10 times now, and have been getting close to full marks on them. I have also re-visited theory on areas which I feel weak on, so therefore I am unsure what more I can do now. I am considering re-doing the whole course, but this time in a Kaplan centre as I done it on-line last time, and also purchasing the ACA Masters course as I have heard good reviews. As well as this, I am considering leaving my full-time ACA trainee accountant role so that I can fully focus on passing this exam as I really cannot mess it up next time.
The issue that I have here is that in the real exam, this first long-form question is nothing compared to the questions I have been seeing/practising. The real exam has adjustments which are completely different/new, and I have not prepared for them, and therefore unsure how to deal with them. I guess I have to apply my theory and what I know, in order to answer the question, but it still does not help that they are completely different! HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS??!!!

Hey, I've been in a similar situation to you before. I would recommend taking a break from doing your exams for the time being and focus on your work. I feel that the stress of passing the exam might be causing you to underperform. After taking a break, I am sure you can see your revision from a fresh perspective with a more positive mindset. Also don't book your next exam until you feel confident with yourself since it's your final chance.
Reply 2
Hey, don’t stress out and try and book up the exam at a time when you’re mentally prepared to take it. While I cannot advise you on leaving your current training provider, I found the BPP course materials and videos far more helpful than other resources. Also, your best bet would be at solving the question bank problems, you can get older copies for purchase of eBay if you need more questions. Don’t sit the exams unless solving any paper off the question bank gives you a solid 70%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending