The Student Room Group

Ocr (mei) s2 exam - 22/06/11

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ian.
As long as you defined your units, they can't take marks from you :smile:

Ooh okay..I can't remember if I did :tongue: Ah well, can't do anything about it now :smile:

I'm pretty sure that for both the hypothesis tests on the paper - both came about to be insignificant (Insufficient evidence to reject the null hypothesis etc).. anyone else get the same? :smile:
Reply 21
hopefully. only 1 person out of 9 of us did, and if on the markscheme you have to calculate the s.d, i think too many people wouldn't, so they may just allow us the marks. It was pretty sneaky.
Reply 22
For drawing the two Normal Curves for the apples.... did you do a normal curve with Mean 210.5 in the middle, and for the cropped apples, draw another curve to the left with mean 185??
Reply 23
with the poisson approximation , did anyone get a really small number like 2x10^-16, i wasnt too sure what they wer asking for , i read it as what is the probality of one or no boxes out of a hundred having less than 220g for all 3 apples . is this correct ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by sebbyws
For drawing the two Normal Curves for the apples.... did you do a normal curve with Mean 210.5 in the middle, and for the cropped apples, draw another curve to the left with mean 185??

thts what i did :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by sebbyws

Yeah i did the same but i had the 210.5 one was lower than the 185 one as the standard deviation was larger meaning the spread of the data was larger.
Reply 26
Original post by Rakesh26
Ooh okay..I can't remember if I did :tongue: Ah well, can't do anything about it now :smile:

I'm pretty sure that for both the hypothesis tests on the paper - both came about to be insignificant (Insufficient evidence to reject the null hypothesis etc).. anyone else get the same? :smile:

I believe I got that... did you find there was quite a big difference between the critical value and the test statistic for the last question? I did...

Also - did everyone do Binomial for question 3 (the bit about 100 packets), and then approximate it with Poisson? I did that... saw it was five marks, and was slightly surprised. It didn't seem very much work.
Reply 27
Original post by supercal35
with the poisson approximation , did anyone get a really small number like 2x10^-16, i wasnt too sure what they wer asking for , i read it as what is the probality of one or no boxes out of a hundred having less than 220g for all 3 apples . is this correct ?

Yeah, I did that - except I didn't get something that small! Do you still rememeber what you got for the bit before? (the bit where you had work out the probability of three apples all being at least 220g or something like that)
Reply 28
Loved it :smile: (well, as far as maths exams go...) :redface:

First part of question 4 threw me a bit though, although I got it right in the end, and I doubt I picked up all 9 marks on the last part of Q4, as I only used half a page of working.

Can't see myself getting full marks on the question where you have to sketch the normal curves as well, as I'm crap at that...

But aside from that it was great!
Reply 29
Original post by Beth1234
Do you still rememeber what you got for the bit before? (the bit where you had work out the probability of three apples all being at least 220g or something like that)

I think i got 0.01882 for 3)ii)
Original post by Rakesh26
I got y = 0.058x + 0.78...

Damn. I'm terrible at knowing how many decimal places to put my answer to :frown:

:eek: Now I feel stupid :frown: Hopefully they give method marks...

I got what you did except I got y=o.5833 + 0.78 I think, just more sensitivity.
Original post by xChelsea

I got that! Oh dear I think I only did it to 4dp 0.0188. I hope I don't lose marks for that :smile:
Reply 32

I got 0.0115, or something like that... and I have absolutely no idea if I am right! All I know is that it made a great deal of sense at the time :confused:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
I got 0.115, or something like that... and I have absolutely no idea if I am right! All I know is that it made a great deal of sense at the time :confused:

I don't know.
i got 0.266 for 3)i) and then i cubed this answer to get 0.01882.
Reply 34
Yeah, I did that - except I didn't get something that small! Do you still rememeber what you got for the bit before? (the bit where you had work out the probability of three apples all being at least 220g or something like that)

yeah i think i got np as 36 point something so the probability i got was 0.36something (not good at remembering decimals )
Reply 35
yeah i think i got np as 36 point something so the probability i got was 0.36something (not good at remembering decimals )

I'm afraid that can't really be right... I'm sure you can only approximate a binomial distribution with a Poisson distribution if np is not too large (as a rule of thumb, less than 5, I believe. Certainly not more than 10).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
I don't know.
i got 0.266 for 3)i) and then i cubed this answer to get 0.01882.

I did that same method.

Actually, now I'm playing around with the calculator - I must have typed 0.226 into the calculator...

Oh well. One mark lost. It didn't change anything much in the next part - I was still able to do a Poisson distribution. That's fine... just don't let me find anything else! :redface:
Reply 37
I'm afraid that can't really be right... I'm sure you can only approximate a binomial distribution with a Poisson distribution if np is not too large (as a rule of thumb, less than 5).

you may approximate the binomial using poission providing that N is LARGE and P is SMALL.

it is when you approximate the binomial using a normal distribution in which P has to be close to 0.5.
Reply 38
Original post by sebbyws

thts what i did :smile:

You have to be careful, there were 4 marks available here. They would want you to express how spread out the data for each distribution curve was. One was wider, but shallower than the other one, which was thinner and taller.

I'm afraid that can't really be right... I'm sure you can only approximate a binomial distribution with a Poisson distribution if np is not too large (as a rule of thumb, less than 5, I believe. Certainly not more than 10).

I disagree here. Binomial can be approximated by the poisson and the normal; Poisson can only be approximated by the normal, and the normal can't be approximated (in S2). You can approximate the binomial with the normal by setting your mean as np, and your standard deviation as np(1-p).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
I believe I got that... did you find there was quite a big difference between the critical value and the test statistic for the last question? I did...

Also - did everyone do Binomial for question 3 (the bit about 100 packets), and then approximate it with Poisson? I did that... saw it was five marks, and was slightly surprised. It didn't seem very much work.

Hmm on the last question, I think I got '-1.504' as the test statistic, which isn't that far from the critical value (-1.645 I think). But I'm not 100% sure :s-smilie:

Original post by Evangelica
I got what you did except I got y=o.5833 + 0.78 I think, just more sensitivity.

They should still give me the marks even if I only did it to 3 decimal places shouldn't they? :smile: Well I hope they do :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending