The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Original post by ♥ ♥
Course, who doesn't love pos rep? :L

I know, it has been way too long. But at the same time, at least it was a long tour abroad, not at home. Good experience for the younger guys who played for the first time in Aus.

I don't care too much about winning the cup, we just have to beat Pak :lol: It's in Asia, so :woo:

Snap. I don't care much if we win it or not. I just hope we don't lose to the Pakistan. We've lost to so many bitter rivals, CONVINCINGLY in the last few series, and then to lose the Asia cup against Pakistan, whether its a group stage match or a final, would just end this period for India as an all time low. Hasn't been good one bit since the World cup.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by indianaussie
Well aren't we all psychic then :smile: I seriously thought after Sri Lanka finished batting that i just hope we don't lose before 40 overs is up but they performed better than i expected :smile: :smile: If only i was there to watch the match. I was at the first T20 and my family was at the one dayer against Aus on Sunday. I was sad we lost both games :frown:

I was born in India and came to Aus when i was 3. I support India and so does my brother who was born in Aus. Whenever we lose against SL, any of the asian teams or from Aus we don't hear the end of it from some of our friends.

The test match series were bad. Our neighbour is an cricket crazy Aussie guy and during the test match series i made sure i was hiding away because i knew i'd get teased badly about it. All in a good natured way though.

Thanks about the name. Your name sounds kind of magical.

Hahaha... I was lucky that day I had holiday so I saw every single bowl being bowled:smile: Thats awesome you get to watch India games in Australia:cool:

I am in a very similar situation like you. But I am born in Spain. So whenever anyone asks me what nationality I am, I say "spindian:tongue:" I get the best of both worlds since spain won the footbal world cup recently so I was celebrating it and last year India won the cricket world cup :bhangra:

Magical:wink: Its not actually my name but okay:cool: I like to be magical!:biggrin:
Reply 7982
Cool. Thanks for the advice Kaz. So it'll be like India but with a hot british accent. lol :smile: I'm thinking London as i know it's very adverse and there's so much to do. From the british indian films ive watched South hall seems like the place to go :smile:

Just don't expect no hot british weather lol Oh gheez, if you're going to come to London, don't expect to see your "typcial" english accents down here. There is alot of things to do, depending on what you you're coming for. Shopping wise, I'd suggest either stay in central London for that, or for Indian clothing visit Southall or Wembley.
Original post by razmazterz
Hahaha... I was lucky that day I had holiday so I saw every single bowl being bowled:smile: Thats awesome you get to watch India games in Australia:cool:

I am in a very similar situation like you. But I am born in Spain. So whenever anyone asks me what nationality I am, I say "spindian:tongue:" I get the best of both worlds since spain won the footbal world cup recently so I was celebrating it and last year India won the cricket world cup :bhangra:

Magical:wink: Its not actually my name but okay:cool: I like to be magical!:biggrin:

That's great that you got to watch it all. The time must have been crazy though because of the time difference.
I just wished India had performed as well as they did last time then the games would have been so much better. But the T20 was pretty cool. :cool: they were playing interesting bollywood songs when India hit a 4 or a 6..or after an over had been bowled. Then they had these flames for any wicket or good shot with fireworks after the games. Even though India lost i made myself feel better because it was only by 30 runs and at least they lasted all the overs. After the test matches that was an improvement but i was hoping they'd win last sunday.

That's great that both your teams won last yr. You must have been the lucky charm for both teams :biggrin:
Spindian is an interesting combination.

haha the name razermataz just sounded like a word that magicians might say. You must indeed be very magical :smile:
So keep on spreading that magic wherever you go :smile:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-9ZYvNYT98
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kaz310
Just don't expect no hot british weather lol Oh gheez, if you're going to come to London, don't expect to see your "typcial" english accents down here. There is alot of things to do, depending on what you you're coming for. Shopping wise, I'd suggest either stay in central London for that, or for Indian clothing visit Southall or Wembley.

Ok but i can expect the hot british accents then, can't i? Should be enough to distract me from the cold weather :smile: I know there are different types of British accent but i find them all charming and hot in their own way. All the british indians ive heard on tv like jay sean or dev patel have good accents so i'm sure i wont be surprised. Although cold weather would be a nice change to the sunny weather here. Apart from studying i'm coming to do some sight seeing, shopping and i want to visit some of the main London museums, plus go to the Globe theatre, see London Eye, the Big Ben and check out the night life. Especially the desi night life. i've heard a lot about London
Reply 7985
Ok but i can expect the hot british accents then, can't i? Should be enough to distract me from the cold weather :smile: I know there are different types of British accent but i find them all charming and hot in their own way. All the british indians ive heard on tv like jay sean or dev patel have good accents so i'm sure i wont be surprised. Although cold weather would be a nice change to the sunny weather here. Apart from studying i'm coming to do some sight seeing, shopping and i want to visit some of the main London museums, plus go to the Globe theatre, see London Eye, the Big Ben and check out the night life. Especially the desi night life. i've heard a lot about London

I think Jay Sean and Dev Patel in the way they speak pretty much represents how the majority speak in London, especially the Asians. So I guess you won't be surprised when you come here and hear everyone here personally. I think most foreigners get a slight jump out of other countries accents. I know I do when I went places like USA. I'm surprised you didnt say the London Bridge. Nearly every relative that comes and visits always want to go see that. "Sigh" lol.
As for the nightlife, ohhh theres tonness to do and go. Leicester Square and Piccadily Circus is defo the place to go if you want to experience it. Its where all the students are at at least anyway. I would name a few, but theres loads of places and would be pointless and you would be better off deciding and seeing for yourself. But I'm not sure what you mean by Desi Night Life :s-smilie:

And avoid a place called Soho LOL. Trust me.
Original post by Kaz310
I think Jay Sean and Dev Patel in the way they speak pretty much represents how the majority speak in London, especially the Asians. So I guess you won't be surprised when you come here and hear everyone here personally. I think most foreigners get a slight jump out of other countries accents. I know I do when I went places like USA. I'm surprised you didnt say the London Bridge. Nearly every relative that comes and visits always want to go see that. "Sigh" lol.
As for the nightlife, ohhh theres tonness to do and go. Leicester Square and Piccadily Circus is defo the place to go if you want to experience it. Its where all the students are at at least anyway. I would name a few, but theres loads of places and would be pointless and you would be better off deciding and seeing for yourself. But I'm not sure what you mean by Desi Night Life :s-smilie:

Good to know that i'll find what i expect in London :smile: I think it must be a foreigner thing but everyone loves at least some type of British accent. We have a lecturer from London and he is about 60 but really great and all the girls in my class, including the Indian girls, are all awed by his accent. I forgot to mention the London bridge but don't worry it was in my list of places to visit :P :smile: I still remember it from the nursery rhyme.

Thanks for the nightlife advice. If i come for exchange i'll be here for 6 weeks so would be great to check out the nightlife. By desi night life i heard that there are a couple of desi night clubs. As there is such a large asian population i thought there might be some desi club nights. I thought it would be a good place to check out and bring the parents to as I know they'd love it.
What's in Soho? :biggrin: :smile: Now you make me curious.
Original post by Kaz310

http://www.theasianplace.net/forum/bollywood-hollywood-tv/28339-best-indian-club-london.html

Some site mentioned a place called Bar Bollywood, Mangos, No 5, Bar Bhangra, Mantras and another mentioned Club Zindagi which is in Birmingham i think

here are some links for the desi club/nights i was talking about
http://www.kuchkuchnights.co.uk/home.htm
http://www.desi-licious.info/

http://www.asianclubguide.com/home/home.asp?_r=30
TSR Indian society should have an indian club night :smile: How about it guys and girls?
haha i think the same as well. Its so tense when we play Pakistan. This Aus series seemed like it was getting dragged out..and all i was hoping for was a good win agains Aus. Last time they came to Australia they did so much better.

anyway i hope the Asian cup goes better :smile:

I know right! I'm so bad during the games, I cannot sit still :L

Oh well, it's been made apparent, India can't play anywhere out of Asia. Lord help us during the WC in 2015, in Aus and NZ :shock: :facepalm2:

Same, need to win something now!!
Original post by Kaz310
Snap. I don't care much if we win it or not. I just hope we don't lose to the Pakistan. We've lost to so many bitter rivals, CONVINCINGLY in the last few series, and then to lose the Asia cup against Pakistan, whether its a group stage match or a final, would just end this period for India as an all time low. Hasn't been good one bit since the World cup.

Lol, I don't care if we lose either (well I do, but I'd rather lose the Asia cup, but beat Pak :L)

We cannot lose to Pak :frown:

We've had series wins at home. After the WC we beat WI in WI, then the England tragedy, then India's 5 nil ODIs, then WI 2-0 tests and 4-1 ODIs, then Aus whitewash....quite odd really :L
Original post by ♥ ♥
I know right! I'm so bad during the games, I cannot sit still :L

Oh well, it's been made apparent, India can't play anywhere out of Asia. Lord help us during the WC in 2015, in Aus and NZ :shock: :facepalm2:

Same, need to win something now!!

We better improve by then. I don't know what it is we played better last 2 series here. Do you think the team might be psychologically affected by what's happened to Yuvraj Sigh with him being diagnosed with cancer. and then all these infights.
Hope he has a safe recovery and treatment.
Original post by ♥ ♥
Lol, I don't care if we lose either (well I do, but I'd rather lose the Asia cup, but beat Pak :L)

We cannot lose to Pak :frown:

We've had series wins at home. After the WC we beat WI in WI, then the England tragedy, then India's 5 nil ODIs, then WI 2-0 tests and 4-1 ODIs, then Aus whitewash....quite odd really :L

yes we have to otherwise we'd never see the end of it.
How are things like between Indians and Pakistanis in the Uk? Is it mostly friendly? Here its a pretty small comunity and everyone, for the most part, gets along. I think its the same in the Uk but there are random odd comments dissing the other that get to me. Like on this thread some Pakistani guy said out of all nationalities he would not consider someone who is Indian/Bengali because they are naturally unattractive and most have an inferiority complex. Most people here seem nice though. Would you respond to that or not?
I don't want to feed what could be a troll but at the same time he should be held to account for his comments.
(edited 12 years ago)
We better improve by then. I don't know what it is we played better last 2 series here. Do you think the team might be psychologically affected by what's happened to Yuvraj Sigh with him being diagnosed with cancer. and then all these infights.
Hope he has a safe recovery and treatment.

Lol, hope so. A good three years to go :L

Not really, I'd say their pshchologically affected by the two whitewashes they've had more than anything else. Sachin's 100th hundred isn't helping anything either. I don't believe the media reports of a rift in the Indian team, and with Yuvi, it's so sad :frown: I'm sure they guys miss him, but they'll be fine.

Same, can't wait to see him 'bleeding blue' again :')
yes we have to otherwise we'd never see the end of it.
How are things like between Indians and Pakistanis in the Uk? Is it mostly friendly? Here its a pretty small comunity and everyone, for the most part, gets along. I think its the same in the Uk but there are random odd comments dissing the other that get to me. Like on this thread some Pakistani guy said out of all nationalities he would not consider someone who is Indian/Bengali because they are naturally unattractive and most have an inferiority complex. Most people here seem nice though. Would you respond to that or not?

Based on personal experience, I'd say the relations are okay. The girls have been a problem for me. The guys around me are fine. Erm, I live the part of London near Southall so there are plenty of Asians around :L It's cool though!

No idea about the whole 'inferiority complex' though. :smile:
Original post by ♥ ♥
Based on personal experience, I'd say the relations are okay. The girls have been a problem for me. The guys around me are fine. Erm, I live the part of London near Southall so there are plenty of Asians around :L It's cool though!

No idea about the whole 'inferiority complex' though. :smile:

When the world cup semi final happened things got way intense. Apparently at one of the viewings (that i wasnt at) things got intense so they made this line and on one side u had the indian supporters and on the other the Pakistani supporters. I think most were international students at the event.
Wow..you live in Southhall. That's pretty cool. That's where Bend it like Beckham was set as well as heaps of Bollywood movies set in the Uk. I'd like to check out that place one day :smile:

i dont think there's any complex. There's no reason for anyone to feel that.

So what type of British accent do you have? :smile: Would it be a London/cockney type accent?
When the world cup semi final happened things got way intense. Apparently at one of the viewings (that i wasnt at) things got intense so they made this line and on one side u had the indian supporters and on the other the Pakistani supporters. I think most were international students at the event.
Wow..you live in Southhall. That's pretty cool. That's where Bend it like Beckham was set as well as heaps of Bollywood movies set in the Uk. I'd like to check out that place one day :smile:

i dont think there's any complex. There's no reason for anyone to feel that.

So what type of British accent do you have? :smile: Would it be a London/cockney type accent?

I heard. OMD, Southall was mad when we won in the semi :L

I don't actually live in southall, I live in Ealing, which is close by :L

All Bollywood movies are set there though, just like the recent 'Patiala House' :smile:

I have a London accent, not cockney, just a normal accent. Can't really describe it!
:lurk:
Original post by meera.28
:lurk:

Hi Meera, how are you hun? xx :smile:
Original post by ♥ ♥

Hi Meera, how are you hun? xx :smile:

Heyy I'm good thanks, how are you?

Latest