The Student Room Group

Language applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by Lewis :D
In WJEC A2 literature is available, but your teacher has a choice. I'm doing films.

Yeah, I think my teacher thought a book would be too difficult for us. :L
I'm doing the film Les choristes I think, and then a region of France for the essay. I've already seen the film, and although I liked it, I don't think it's a great one for discussing in depth. I'd prefer to do Létranger tbh.:frown:

Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Aww thanks.

I was really surprised too....I was a gibbering wreck all morning and I logged into Edexcel results as soon as possible and kind of sat there stunned.

I reckon I only got that score because the questions were PERFECT.
"A quoi bon lire les auteurs classiques?"

Right up my street :smile: (Though when I mentioned what I wrote to my teacher she said it was a bit pompous "Depuis l'aube des temps, l'humanité tente d'exprimer la joie et la souffrance de notre existence éphémère)

Also said poetry was as important to me as "les battements de mon coeur"

I was afraid they'd deduct marks for cheesiness :biggrin:

You seem to be really enthusiastic about languages (ahh I'm getting all misty eyed thinking about the whole process for me last year - it's thrilling as well as daunting) I'm sure you'll get some awesome offers :smile:

EDIT: On an unrelated note. Your sig made me lol...for real

That actually is a lovely exam question to get. On WJEC we just get stuff about solar energy and racism.:s-smilie:

Ahah, what you wrote sounds great! They love pompous stuff, I reckon. The essay exams I've done best in all seem to be the ones where I've written the cheesiest paragraphs ever. :L
Can't get away with it in Speaking exams though, or else I start to laugh at the cheesiness.

Thank you, I hope so.:colondollar: I am really enthusiastic, especially about literature, but I always feel my actual spoken French lets me down.:frown: Fortunately i'm not applying to anywhere that interviews, so they'll only find that out once I'm there.:awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dusty12
Yeah, I think my teacher thought a book would be too difficult for us. :L
I'm doing the film Les choristes I think, and then a region of France for the essay. I've already seen the film, and although I liked it, I don't think it's a great one for discussing in depth. I'd prefer to do Létranger tbh.:frown:

That actually is a lovely exam question to get. On WJEC we just get stuff about solar energy and racism.:s-smilie:

Ahah, what you wrote sounds great! They love pompous stuff, I reckon. The essay exams I've done best in all seem to be the ones where I've written the cheesiest paragraphs ever. :L

Thank you, I hope so.:colondollar: I am really enthusiastic, especially about literature, but I always feel my actual spoken French lets me down.:frown: Fortunately i'm not applying to anywhere that interviews, so they'll only find that out once I'm there.:awesome:

Don't worry about your spoken French - that will develop as you learn and speak to natives - they don't expect you to be fluent at the start of uni (for my Oxford interviews I only spoke 5 minutes of French in the entire 4 days I was there)

Also, the year abroad will ensure that you become a speaking master..(as well as have a lot of fun doing random things)

Where are you applying?
Reply 782
Don't worry about your spoken French - that will develop as you learn and speak to natives - they don't expect you to be fluent at the start of uni (for my Oxford interviews I only spoke 5 minutes of French in the entire 4 days I was there)

Also, the year abroad will ensure that you become a speaking master..(as well as have a lot of fun doing random things)

Where are you applying?

I really really hope so. I stayed in France for three weeks this summer, so I spoke a bit. Mainly with two of my aunt's scary friends who seemed obsessed with things like hunting, and seemed to think I was a bit of an idiot and spoke slowly. "Avez-vous...la chasse...au Pays de Galles?" And then I kept explaining stuff about Wales to the woman. She lives in Paris and seemed to dislike the countryside. Anything negative I said about Wales, she'd say "Ah, c'est ca la campagne.." with a distasteful look on her face. Then I had an argument with her husband because he said I shouldn't have my dog's hair cut. They really were uncomfortable conversations that hardly boosted my confidence.:tongue:
But yeah, that's a bit irrelevant to this conversation.:colondollar:

I'm thinkin' of applying to Durham, Bristol, Cardiff, Sheffield, Birmingham. I keep changing my mind about the last two though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dusty12
I really really hope so. I stayed in France for three weeks this summer, so I spoke a bit. Mainly with two of my aunt's scary friends who seemed obsessed with things like hunting, and seemed to think I was a bit of an idiot and spoke slowly. "Avez-vous...la chasse...au Pays de Galles?" And then I kept explaining stuff about Wales to the woman. She lives in Paris and seemed to dislike the countryside. Anything negative I said about Wales, she'd say "Ah, c'est ca la campagne.." with a distasteful look on her face. Then I had an argument with her husband because he said I shouldn't have my dog's hair cut. They really were uncomfortable conversations that hardly boosted my confidence.:tongue:
But yeah, that's a bit irrelevant to this conversation.:colondollar:

I'm thinkin' of applying to Durham, Bristol, Cardiff, Sheffield, Birmingham. I keep changing my mind about the last two though.

Aah Bristol is amazing! (As is Durham - I put it as my insurance but I actually liked Bristol better in hindsight =S)

Birmingham is really nice - very friendly department and very flexible course. I actually applied to the wrong course - the one where you do at least 2 languages and yet I hadn't written about a second language. When I got to the post-offer tour it was quite embarrassing to fess up but they just smiled and said "Well you can do French, or just choose any other language you want". I liked it because you could mix European languages with Chinese...which doesn't seem to be too common.
Oh my god went to the University of Edinburgh open day today and I love it! :biggrin: Went on a roam of the city afterwards too and it's so beautiful, I can completely picture myself living there! Did anyone else go today? Strathclyde tomorrow :smile:
Reply 785
Aah Bristol is amazing! (As is Durham - I put it as my insurance but I actually liked Bristol better in hindsight =S)

Birmingham is really nice - very friendly department and very flexible course. I actually applied to the wrong course - the one where you do at least 2 languages and yet I hadn't written about a second language. When I got to the post-offer tour it was quite embarrassing to fess up but they just smiled and said "Well you can do French, or just choose any other language you want". I liked it because you could mix European languages with Chinese...which doesn't seem to be too common.

I really liked Bristol when I went, especially the language multimedia centre with the cinema. i would stay there all the time. :biggrin:
I'd be happy with an offer from any one of my choices, so hopefully my application is good enough.

Ahaha, awkward for you.:tongue: Birmingham looks good too. It's also on the direct train line from the town where I live, which is a lot more convenient than ones like Durham. :L
Reply 786
I'm applying for Arabic and Arabic and politics in Exeter and Arabic and Politics, Arabic and International Relations, Arabic and Linguistics at Leeds xD I wanna do diplomacy after uni :smile: in the middle east obvo :tongue: anyone else doing Arabic? I'm learning Gulf Arabic but these are all MSA from scratch but should be awesome :tongue: Year in Morocca is a bonus as well :P <3 Fes 2013 ;D

Also I speak French and I'm learning Castellano :P and I speak some Chinese 你好 :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 787
Original post by CamCat
Heyy!!

Is anyone thinking of taking Japanese or Japanese studies for entry year 2012??

Yup. :biggrin:
Original post by J'adoreMaCachette
Oh my god went to the University of Edinburgh open day today and I love it! :biggrin: Went on a roam of the city afterwards too and it's so beautiful, I can completely picture myself living there! Did anyone else go today? Strathclyde tomorrow :smile:

I really wanted to but I'm so ill!! Was it any good? I'm going to Glasgow tomorrow so fingers crossed it's good. I'm hoping to study French and other languages (or just Classics) at Uni, and seeing as how I'm only in S5 right now I'm going to have to try that much harder to get in. What's the best one you've seen so far??
Reply 789
Hi, I was wondering if anybody could answer some questions for me. Firstly I want to apply to do French, Spanish and tourism at uni. However, it appears to be impossible to study all three to degree level. I was wondering, if i were to apply to do "Spanish with tourism management" at Napier uni and "Spanish and hospitality & tourism" at Strathclyde uni, then can I still do French in the first few years? Or should I just forget about French altogether? Also, those two uni's are the only one's in Scotland that offer tourism with languages, so is it possible to do a course "French and Spanish" at other uni's, like Glasgow uni, or again would I have to forget about French? Sorry for babbling on! But any help would be appreciated! :biggrin:
Reply 790
Original post by Millymoo
Hi, I was wondering if anybody could answer some questions for me. Firstly I want to apply to do French, Spanish and tourism at uni. However, it appears to be impossible to study all three to degree level. I was wondering, if i were to apply to do &quot;Spanish with tourism management&quot; at Napier uni and &quot;Spanish and hospitality &amp; tourism&quot; at Strathclyde uni, then can I still do French in the first few years? Or should I just forget about French altogether? Also, those two uni's are the only one's in Scotland that offer tourism with languages, so is it possible to do a course &quot;French and Spanish&quot; at other uni's, like Glasgow uni, or again would I have to forget about French? Sorry for babbling on! But any help would be appreciated! :biggrin:

Lots of universities have language centres where you can study a language. Also, a lot may allow you to do French in your first year, if they're flexible universities. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Just looked at UEA for languages... They've put the grades up by one, from bbb-bbc to abb-bbb... I'ma need to do a ot of work this year!
Reply 792
Original post by Kaylaleigh
Just looked at UEA for languages... They've put the grades up by one, from bbb-bbc to abb-bbb... I'ma need to do a ot of work this year!

What languages are you applying for? :smile:
Yeah, I was surprised when they did that.
However, Leicester has went down from AAB to ABB :biggrin:
Original post by Lewis :D
What languages are you applying for? :smile:

Definitly French, but considering double honours French and Japanese...Kinda torn over which to do!
Original post by Dusty12
I have six 50-minute lessons a day, so it's not as bad as it could be. But it's a full day as well.:frown:
I have new French teachers this year too. I had one of them in Year 7, and I intensely disliked her. Maybe she's better with older students, but I'm not too hopeful.:s-smilie:

So basically all you have one day is full on french??? :s-smilie:
Original post by VickyDoodle
Yeah, I was surprised when they did that.
However, Leicester has went down from AAB to ABB :biggrin:

Ooh you looking at Leicester? :smile:
Have you been to an open day yet?
Reply 797
Original post by BeccaCath94
So basically all you have one day is full on french??? :s-smilie:

I have one ENglish lesson too, but yeah, basically. :L
Original post by Dusty12
I have one ENglish lesson too, but yeah, basically. :L

Wow! Exciting.... :s-smilie: hahahaha
Reply 799
German! :biggrin: