The Student Room Group

Tablets to delay period

Hi. thanks for taking time to read this and I appreciate any replies.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether you have to get tablets to delay your period prescribed from the doctors or if you can get them anywhere else, e.g. Family planning clinic, over the counter.

Also, if there are any major side effects

Thankyou
Reply 1
My doctor offered to prescribe them to me, so I assume that is the only way to get them, as she used the word 'prescribe'.
Reply 2
if u are on the pill, u can ususally just take ur next set of [pills straight away rather than having the 7 day break
Reply 3
You can get norethisterone, which you have to take three times a day. They have to be prescribed and i think only by a doctor. The family planning clinics and similar can (to my knowledge) only offer the pill which would work but if youre not on it yet and you need to prevent it soon I wouldnt advise...Maybe see your doc and ask for their advice.
Reply 4
^Are those the ones that you have to start to take at a specific point in your cycle?
You have to go to your doctor because they have to be prescribed. There are side effects, as there is with many drugs, but very rarely anything serious. However, when you eventually have your period, it may be more painful/heavier than usual.

Latest