The Student Room Group

IB Bio HL vs English HL

I just finished first year of IB. I'm currently in English HL, I really wanna swap to SL and move to Bio HL. I'm not sure I'll be allowed to as it's already been a year.
But in terms of difficulty, which is harder/easier?
Reply 1
It's hard to get a high score in English HL if you don't have an interest and natural flair for the subject. I had a predicted 7 in English but ended up with a 6, that was one of my biggest disappointments. The difference between English HL and SL isn't much, you will have one less WL to write (and really, the second one is the more fun WL, so much more scope for creativity than the cut and dry WL1). Also you get guiding questions for commentaries (which are WORTHLESS, IMO) because they just ask about the obvious, "what kind of imagery do you see?" "what is the author/poet trying to say through this piece?" Anyone with half a mind will answer those questions on his own. Lastly, you have to notice some literary features if you're SL, but for a good grade, you have to be at HL-level anyway.

The difference between HL and SL Biology is just about a little more portion to memorise.

So depends on what you rather do more in the end.

Best of luck,
Arrowhead.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommer
It depends where your skill lies, but I actually don't think one's really easier than the other - not like if you were comparing Physics and Spanish HL anyway.

Bio is really just a massive test of memory. If you retain A LOT of information, and don't mind taking the time to do this, then it's not that bad. A 6 is very achievable in bio HL.

English is more about technique, though you have to memorise quotes and really know your books. There's a wide variety of assessment though, which makes things easier.

However, I think that English SL is a lot harder than Bio SL. Bio SL is just remembering a bit less than HL. English SL is basically the same as HL but with a bigger chance to slip up, because each section is worth more...

If you're not bad at English I'd say stick with it at HL. If you really hate it, though, switch. Of course, it really depends on what you want to do...

Hi I just stumbled across this conversation today, I am also in a similar situation, I used to take English HL but I dropped and took History HL. But now in 2nd year I have the option to take either English or Biology HL again, I was just wondering if I should go back to English or start anew in biology. I wasn't particularly bad at English HL but I was getting 5s and 6s, its much better now in SL where I'm getting 6s and 7s. Do you have any opinion on this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending