math +law help!! (2 days) IB SUBJECTS

hey! I am starting my second year of IB. My subjects are
English lang lit HL
psychology HL
history HL
biology HL

maths AA SL
French B SL

now, I am applying to law in the UK, specifically oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Kings. but I am desperate to change my math course to math AI. I have a huge paranoia that this will ruin my application/make it less competitive. does it matter that much? making the switch would mean I'd have at least 2 or 3 more IB points, but then I'd be taking math AI SL.please help, I have to decide soon and am not sure how weighty this decision is :,)
would the 4 HLs balance out the math? lol
(edited 2 years ago)
What are your predicted grades?
You’re doing 4 HLs I wouldn’t stress about it that much. You don’t really need maths for Law anyway, but I reckon it would be good to ask the unis you’re applying to whether they differentiate between AA and AI.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TheClaimsGuys
What are your predicted grades?

haven't gotten them yet, but I scored 35 on my last exams (without core points), looking at my report, my predicted were more around 37 (without core) bittt lower than id like
Original post by heyheygirl
haven't gotten them yet, but I scored 35 on my last exams (without core points), looking at my report, my predicted were more around 37 (without core) bittt lower than id like

Do you know what they are specifically? Also idk if doing 4 HLs would be beneficial if you could get a higher total with doing 3 HL.
Reply 5
Do you know what they are specifically? Also idk if doing 4 HLs would be beneficial if you could get a higher total with doing 3 HL.

yes ill make a list
English HL - 7
history HL - 7
psychology HL - 7
bio HL - 'target' 6
math AA SL - 4 (maybe 5)
French B - targeting 7

that's true, I am contemplating the HL situation too but since I have more time for that my main concern is if it'd be ok to move to math AI
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
You’re doing 4 HLs I wouldn’t stress about it that much. You don’t really need maths for Law anyway, but I reckon it would be good to ask the unis you’re applying to whether they differentiate between AA and AI.

ok thank you :smile: just keep getting mixed opinions on it, as it seems most competitive students do AA, and unis can be secretive :wink: will try tho
Also which Oxbridge uni? Because you need 40+ for Cambridge with 766/776 HL, and Oxford needs 38 with 666 HL if it’s 2 or 3 extra points then I’d make the switch ik the course isn’t as difficult but it’s better to get a 7 or a 6 in that course, rather than a 5 or 4 in AI, especially because there are people applying to Oxbridge, UCL and KCL for Law with IB results (I am one of them) so it’s better to maximise your point total
Reply 8
Also which Oxbridge uni? Because you need 40+ for Cambridge with 766/776 HL, and Oxford needs 38 with 666 HL if it’s 2 or 3 extra points then I’d make the switch ik the course isn’t as difficult but it’s better to get a 7 or a 6 in that course, rather than a 5 or 4 in AI, especially because there are people applying to Oxbridge, UCL and KCL for Law with IB results (I am one of them) so it’s better to maximise your point total

yeah that was my main thing - deciding if the subjects matter more or if the points do (ik its a fine balance + competitive schools, hence my paranoia over math). and with my indecisive nature I still haven't picked between Oxford and Cambridge :smile: good luck btw !!
Thanks, you too! Either way I’d switch to AI because that 4 isn’t gonna look as good as a 6 or 7 you’d be set for both Cambridge and Oxford if u switched over, especially because they do admissions tests aswell, so your IB predicteds/results would only help that
English lang lit HL
psychology HL
history HL
biology HL

maths AA SL
French B SL

now, I am applying to law in the UK, specifically oxbridge, LSE, UCL and Kings. but I am desperate to change my math course to math AI. I have a huge paranoia that this will ruin my application/make it less competitive. does it matter that much? making the switch would mean I'd have at least 2 or 3 more IB points, but then I'd be taking math AI SL.please help, I have to decide soon and am not sure how weighty this decision is :,)

Hi! I'm also looking to apply to the same exact unis for law. My final predicted grades come out on Wednesday, and I am very nervous. I was predicted a 6 for Math AA HL last year, and I hope that they might see my potential for improvement after the one quiz we did after coming back from the holidays lol. My psych hl is probably stuck at a 6, I used to be a 7 but it went downhill as the studies we needed to memorise piled on and we got into the darned socio-cultural approach. Sorry for the rant, but I wish you all the best in your applications!
English lang lit HL
psychology HL
history HL
biology HL

maths AA SL
French B SL

Maths AI is considered a really soft subject that lowers your chances a bit if you’re looking at top unis. That being said it if you’re 100% sure you don’t want to do anything even remotely maths related you should be fine if you get a solid score. I’d recommend dropping one HL instead though. Biology is unnecessary for law and it’s a really difficult course. From what I’ve heard unis don’t care that much about taking 4HLs. What was your predicted score from maths last year ?
Reply 12
Original post by crstnak
Hi! I'm also looking to apply to the same exact unis for law. My final predicted grades come out on Wednesday, and I am very nervous. I was predicted a 6 for Math AA HL last year, and I hope that they might see my potential for improvement after the one quiz we did after coming back from the holidays lol. My psych hl is probably stuck at a 6, I used to be a 7 but it went downhill as the studies we needed to memorise piled on and we got into the darned socio-cultural approach. Sorry for the rant, but I wish you all the best in your applications!

hey! sorry for my late reply, it's been a while since I logged in. Those sound like fantastic scores anyways - and Math AA Hl both at a 6 or a 7 (which I'm sure you got :wink:) is insane. Haha I'm the opposite, with psych staying as my consistent subject. But anyways I just wanted to say that I really wish you luck too and that it made my day! (I also changed some of my uni choices but maybe I'll see you in KCL)
Reply 13
Original post by neutralmilkff
Maths AI is considered a really soft subject that lowers your chances a bit if you’re looking at top unis. That being said it if you’re 100% sure you don’t want to do anything even remotely maths related you should be fine if you get a solid score. I’d recommend dropping one HL instead though. Biology is unnecessary for law and it’s a really difficult course. From what I’ve heard unis don’t care that much about taking 4HLs. What was your predicted score from maths last year ?

ah I know, I also realise you asked this a while ago (thank you for the advice by the way). I considered my options and went with math AI (hated it for a few weeks but then it raised my predicted from a 3 to a 6 so was worth it). I also dropped bio! Very sad about it but I agree it'd take too much time to score well in, with no point in it.
English lang lit HL
psychology HL
history HL
biology HL

maths AA SL
French B SL

hey! i just wanted to say that move down to AI SL!! its not going to affect ur app for law. I am also applying for law at Oxford, LSe, UCL, KCL, and QMUL and I heard that they only care about your HLs (which should be writing subjects) and ur overall score. So choose the math that will give u the best overall score. Before I moved down from AA SL to AISL, my predicted was a 42, after I moved down, my predicted went to a 45, which made me a lot more confident in applying to those skls for law!
Reply 15
Original post by AOWLx918
hey! i just wanted to say that move down to AI SL!! its not going to affect ur app for law. I am also applying for law at Oxford, LSe, UCL, KCL, and QMUL and I heard that they only care about your HLs (which should be writing subjects) and ur overall score. So choose the math that will give u the best overall score. Before I moved down from AA SL to AISL, my predicted was a 42, after I moved down, my predicted went to a 45, which made me a lot more confident in applying to those skls for law!

Hi! I also moved down to AI SL and want to inquire whether it did indeed affect your application or not? (assuming that you have already applied and gotten back decisions :smile:) Thank you so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending