The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2012 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone, hope you guys do really well! I did the ukcat last year and scored 815 :confused: lol so if anyone has questions do ask and I will do my best to dig out some info from my brain :tongue:
Reply 21
Original post by cherrycookie
Hi everyone, hope you guys do really well! I did the ukcat last year and scored 815 :confused: lol so if anyone has questions do ask and I will do my best to dig out some info from my brain :tongue:

Hi woooahh congrats on your score! Could you give me some tips on how to tackle the abstract reading section, thanks :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by racheatworld
I've already done mine :smile:

Hi...erm I'm sure i've seen you on a couple of revision threads. What score did you get overall?
Reply 23
can you recommend any free websites online to practice the ukcat?
Original post by HarrietAmy

Original post by HarrietAmy
can you recommend any free websites online to practice the ukcat?

The actual UKCAT website has some free practice exams on it :yep:

If you want to ignore that this page is designed for medics (with regards to the how it's used section) there are loads of links to various websites with UKCAT material that have been recommended to us (they might not be free though)

Here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT#The_subtests
Reply 25
does anyone know, if your applying for bristol , birmingham, liverpool and leeds weather or not you still need to sit the UKCAT exam?
Original post by sr14
does anyone know, if your applying for bristol , birmingham, liverpool and leeds weather or not you still need to sit the UKCAT exam?

According to the rather neglected stalking page for 2011 entry, the dentists told me that you'd need the UKCAT for bristol but not the others

Source: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dental_Applicants_Stalking_2011

You're best off checking on the individual universities website, it will start whether the UKCAT is needed and might even tell you how they use it :h:
Reply 27
just man up and dont take the ukcat test, i still got into dental school last year!
Reply 28
i say everyone boycott it
Original post by roachy1
just man up and dont take the ukcat test, i still got into dental school last year!

Then would you care to explain how you got an offer from Bristol? :hmmm:
Original post by roachy1

And the award for worst advice seen today goes to you! :clap2:
Reply 30
Original post by roachy1

lol, I'm not sure if that approach would work tbh :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

because i'm bad boy
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

Hi,

I think someone may have mis-informed you, but Bristol don't use the UKCAT. I went to the open-day this June and they are not planning to use it either.

Birmingham/Bristol/Leeds/Liverpool - don't use the UKCAT!

That's for dentistry though, I have no idea about medicine :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by Alex_and_er
Hi,

I think someone may have mis-informed you, but Bristol don't use the UKCAT. I went to the open-day this June and they are not planning to use it either.

/
that would explain how i got in, i personally think the UKCAT test is rubbish/inadequate for determining the potential aptitude of a doctor or dentist.
Reply 34
Original post by roachy1

what were your grades like and how much work experience / voluntary work did you have ?
Original post by Alex_and_er
Hi,

Ah right ok, thank you :yep:

And don't worry - I know the requirements and admissions tests required are different in certain circumstances so I wouldn't apply medicine ones to dentistry :nah:

Are there any dentistry re-applicants here? If so could you message me, I would like to chat to you regarding the dentistry wiki pages :h:
Reply 36
Original post by sr14
what were your grades like and how much work experience / voluntary work did you have ?

A levels: chemistry A, Biology A Maths B Geography B

GCSEs: 4a*, 6a, 1 b

did 2 weeks experience in a practice

2 days in hospital

and a month in a primary school, hope that helps :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by roachy1
A levels: chemistry A, Biology A Maths B Geography B

GCSEs: 4a*, 6a, 1 b

did 2 weeks experience in a practice

2 days in hospital

and a month in a primary school, hope that helps :smile:

thanks! that really does help!
The UKCAT is the most pointless thing I've ever sat! All you can really do is practice as much as you can..

I only got 637.5 after so much practice and tests and books and exercises. And one of my friends in particular did no practice at all except for on the day, and scored 710... so yeah, random.
I'm fairly scared for this exam as I'll have only 4 days to study for it that are free.
Just did a practice test today and scored:
VR=723
AR=595
DA=664
QR=350
Average: 583!!!!!!

Any tips on improving my QR?????

Quick Reply

Latest