The Student Room Group

Is uni better for making friends than sixth form?

Hi,

Basically, friends and social life this year haven't been great. Although I'm a nice person and can be quite chatty, I feel like I blend into the background. Many of the people at sixth form aren't all that similar to me but I have a few friends there. It's just I look around at everyone else in their massive groups of friends who love them and I feel like I'm not really worth anything at all. Is uni a bit better because everyone starts new? I'm hanging my hope onto the idea of a fresh start next year.
Duh.
For starters uni is longer. And more variety so bound to make friends/ with the thousands of people there.
tl;dr though.
Reply 2
TSR is better than both of them, sillie.
There are thousands more people at Uni, and many doing exactly the same course, so yes, it's much easier. Especially as you're all living in the same place.
Reply 4
I hope so! I'm going to university in 2012. I regret not going to a different sixth-form so much. The school itself is OK, my teachers are very good and the school itself receives 'outstanding' from OFTED. But the thing is is that it attracts so many chavs! Since I joined almost six years ago in year 7, I haven't made any good friends. Just associates. I really hope that university is better.
Reply 5
Original post by NotSoCool.Fly

tl;dr

I'm sorry but i see this phrase all the time what is it
Original post by LuciiAnna

Original post by LuciiAnna
I'm sorry but i see this phrase all the time what is it

Too long; didn't read :smile:
I'd say it has more potential, but you might have to try harder.
For example in sixth form everything's more structured so that you sit with the same people at breaks and lunches, are in the same classes with people and always sit next to them, come from the same area.. Also at sixth form they tend to do those silly introductory days where they take you canoeing and try to drown you all or something in an attempt to create a "group bond".

Whereas at uni, you can talk to as many or as few people as you like, and nobody will care (or, probably, even notice). Nobody will particularly "encourage" you to be friends, or invite you to join their group if you sit alone (it might happen, but lots of people *choose* to sit alone during lectures so it's hard to see who's alone by choice and who has no friends).

A lot of people have the misconception that they'll just be able to sit in a lecture theatre and have people flood towards them in an attempt to be friends, but you do have to put effort into it :-). Hope that helps!
Reply 8
Original post by NotSoCool.Fly
Duh.
For starters uni is longer. And more variety so bound to make friends/ with the thousands of people there.
tl;dr though.

That was a tl;dr paragraph? LOL.
Reply 9
Original post by jameswhughes
Too long; didn't read :smile:

ohhh okay makes sense :smile: thankyou :biggrin:
Reply 10
I know how you feel OP.

I've just finished year 11. I go to an all boys grammar school which is basically full of arrogant ***** and have few friends there. I'd love to go somewhere different but the teachers are great and I know i'll do well academically if I stay. Also, I don't have the money to go to the local private school, which many in my year are doing next year.
Reply 11
Definitely. Most people go to uni not knowing anyone so they have to talk to new people. A lot of people go to 6th form with people they knew from school.
Original post by bradshawi
I hope so! I'm going to university in 2012. I regret not going to a different sixth-form so much. The school itself is OK, my teachers are very good and the school itself receives 'outstanding' from OFTED. But the thing is is that it attracts so many chavs! Since I joined almost six years ago in year 7, I haven't made any good friends. Just associates. I really hope that university is better.

This! I only have about 2 best friends even though I'm very outgoing, most other people are just aquaintances. I find a lot of people there boring. I mean I'll talk to them, but I wouldn't really chose to hang around with them out of school. However I've recently met a few uni people and they're all lovely and likeminded, so I think it'll be better there. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by LipstickKisses
This! I only have about 2 best friends even though I'm very outgoing, most other people are just aquaintances. I find a lot of people there boring. I mean I'll talk to them, but I wouldn't really chose to hang around with them out of school. However I've recently met a few uni people and they're all lovely and likeminded, so I think it'll be better there. :smile:

Thanks :smile: I've made some friends since year 7, but only because I was too scared not to have any. In a way I should have gone to a private school, smaller class sizes etc. But my parents liked the school I go to (unfortunately).

I know, so many people at my school have been in their friendship groups since they joined. I'm reserved and quite shy so it's harder for me to break into them, and most of them are a bit chavvy if I'm honest Hence why I've choosen to only have acquaintances etc.

Are you at university now?
Thanks :smile: I've made some friends since year 7, but only because I was too scared not to have any. In a way I should have gone to a private school, smaller class sizes etc. But my parents liked the school I go to (unfortunately).

I know, so many people at my school have been in their friendship groups since they joined. I'm reserved and quite shy so it's harder for me to break into them, and most of them are a bit chavvy if I'm honest Hence why I've choosen to only have acquaintances etc.

Are you at university now?

That's a bit like me, I go to a state school (it's meant to be good and to be fair it is) but there's still loads of immature idiots there - is a bit of sophistication too much to ask?! :frown: Sadly no, I have another year left. Sixth form is better than regular school but to be honest I'm ticking days off until I get to uni! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by LipstickKisses
That's a bit like me, I go to a state school (it's meant to be good and to be fair it is) but there's still loads of immature idiots there - is a bit of sophistication too much to ask?! :frown: Sadly no, I have another year left. Sixth form is better than regular school but to be honest I'm ticking days off until I get to uni! :smile:

Yes, me too. I'm in year 12 at the moment.

This time last year I stupidly assumed that everyone would be mature and would be at sixth-form because they wanted to be there.

It really doesn't bother me now though, I just hope that I can go with a fresh start and I can have better experiences.

It's reassuring that other people feel the same way though :smile:
Yes, me too. I'm in year 12 at the moment.

This time last year I stupidly assumed that everyone would be mature and would be at sixth-form because they wanted to be there.

It really doesn't bother me now though, I just hope that I can go with a fresh start and I can have better experiences.

It's reassuring that other people feel the same way though :smile:

So did I! Yeah I'm the same, the way I look at it is I have a year left and then I probably won't see many of them again so it doesn't really matter. Would be nice if there were a few more people like us around though!

Yes I agree, I was worried it was just me until this thread lol :smile:
Yes, but you have to make an effort like a member above said. It's not like sixth form where it's relatively condensed in classes with seating.

There is a huge variety of people from all over and they won't immediately be in friendship groups. You'll meet a whole load of people during Freshers, most of whom you'll never see or speak to again. But once your course classes settle in, there are ample times to talk and get to know others without immediately being isolated because of circles. Friendship circles aren't that big either. Most people are friends with two or three others and being on general speaking terms with everyone else. It's also more mature. Not to mention there are societies where you can meet even more people with similar interests.
I found it easier to make friends at sixth form because of the structured environment. I'm very shy so i find it difficult to let my guard down when meeting new people.
Reply 19
I would say it definitely is. I met people at Durham that I had far more in common with than people I met at school. I'd say go for a traditional, collegiate university like Oxbridge, Durham, St. Andrews etc. ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending