The Student Room Group

Making friends at sixth form

I have been at sixth form since September now, so roughly 4 months. Since then, I have made 0 friends. I try, trust me, I try to make friends but nobody dare wishes to talk to me. This is starting to take a toll on my mental health - every day, I go to college, sit through my subjects, and go home - nothing different occurs during my day, because I have no friends to help make this happen. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do, because I have tried many things already - gone to clubs, spoken to staff and more. Do appearances really matter in friendships?
Original post by Ionic_Jai
I have been at sixth form since September now, so roughly 4 months. Since then, I have made 0 friends. I try, trust me, I try to make friends but nobody dare wishes to talk to me. This is starting to take a toll on my mental health - every day, I go to college, sit through my subjects, and go home - nothing different occurs during my day, because I have no friends to help make this happen. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do, because I have tried many things already - gone to clubs, spoken to staff and more. Do appearances really matter in friendships?

I’ll be honest with you here, in my second year and in the exact same boat.

I never made friends at college as everyone was still in their school cliques which made it much more difficult. In one of my classes, the girls don’t respond to me and act like i’m not there. In the other class the seating plan is awful and i was sat next to an overly quiet kid who doesn’t speak. The third, it’s coursework based so there isn’t much chatter.

But regardless this has made me feel absolutely sh*t, so I fully get where you’re coming from. First year was much worse I ended up skipping days as I felt so lonely, but as second year came around, i’ve realised this is a small stepping stone onto uni and a future, it’s not worth dwelling on this, it’s better to focus on exams as you will not see half these people again in your life.

I would advise talk to anyone you can don’t sit there being the quiet kid. You’re quite into your first year so the best thing to do is to talk to those around you in seating plans rather than speaking to randomers on the campus. It’s a huge struggle but college and sixth forms seems to have a lot of people in the same boat, as many I know have felt the exact same at theirs. Many of my friends went to uni and now love it as everyone is in the same boat now together, they are all new at once!

Also appearances shouldn’t matter, kind hearted people don’t care what people wear or how they dress. Just be you. In my first year at college, most my friends and happiness was from mates outside of college who I ended up befriending that year, but at college itself I didn’t have a single friend. If you ever get invited to house parties or anything of the sort don’t dwell, just go! Also, try facebook dating as there is a section just for friends and it’s full of lovely people (unlike tinder etc which focusses purely on dating)

I do hope you feel better in time and manage to befriend a couple people as it’s a horrible feeling.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest