The Student Room Group

why dont i have any friends?

title says most of it. i speak to people in school but to be honest i can't even consider them my friends bc theyre so toxic and we don't speak outside of school. what do i do? everyone else in my class is mainly "popular"ish people or guys i can never speak to so i really have nobody i can talk with. my only real friends i have no classes with or we don't even attend the same school, and i'm seriously considering moving to a whole new school for the sixth form for a completely new start, but i feel like it could be even worse there and i might be even lonelier. what do i do?
Original post by Anonymous
title says most of it. i speak to people in school but to be honest i can't even consider them my friends bc theyre so toxic and we don't speak outside of school. what do i do? everyone else in my class is mainly "popular"ish people or guys i can never speak to so i really have nobody i can talk with. my only real friends i have no classes with or we don't even attend the same school, and i'm seriously considering moving to a whole new school for the sixth form for a completely new start, but i feel like it could be even worse there and i might be even lonelier. what do i do?

Hi!
I had a very similar experience in sixth form. Although I still don't know what you should do, I want to provide you with some encouragement; it gets so much better. Since finishing sixth form and starting university I have made the most amazing friends and am so much happier. You're definitely not alone in feeling like this; i'm sorry I cant offer any practical advice but trust me it gets better.

I hope this encourages you! Faye :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by FayeYSJ
Hi!
I had a very similar experience in sixth form. Although I still don't know what you should do, I want to provide you with some encouragement; it gets so much better. Since finishing sixth form and starting university I have made the most amazing friends and am so much happier. You're definitely not alone in feeling like this; i'm sorry I cant offer any practical advice but trust me it gets better.

I hope this encourages you! Faye :smile:

thank you, but university is still so far away for me....
Reply 3
Original post by TheMoistCabbage
cos you're clapped.

literally how does that matter in this context am i asking "why does no one ever date me" ??? tf
..., and i'm seriously considering moving to a whole new school for the sixth form for a completely new start, but i feel like it could be even worse there and i might be even lonelier. what do i do?

This is a move that could work either way for you (it could work out very well or not-so-well).Research your choices...

Extended high school 6th form:- if you go to a sixth-form that's part of a "middle-school", most people will be from that school (there won't really be many "newbies". You say you've got friends in other schools? So that could work out for you if you talk to them and see what they're planning on studying and where they want to go. On the other hand, if you go alone, most people will be from that particular school and will have their own groups, cliques etc. so you risk having the same problem. Fair enough, they may be a bit more grown up and work focused, but you may still struggle to find some friends.

Dedicated 6th Form college:- Mainly same / similar sort of people, but they may be slightly more open-minded than those going to the sixth form as part of their school. There will most likely be groups of people from other schools, but there will be a few who are there by themselves... although I don't know how easy it will be to find them.

County / borough college:-
This will probably be the fastest learning curve, and there will be several people who will have gone there by themselves (not part of an existing group/ clique).. Everything is on a much wider scale and they offer a much wider range of courses (including many vocational courses; as opposed to the traditional "A" levels). You don't really have tutor groups as you might do in 6th forms, and the people are lecturers (as opposed to teachers). They won't push you in the same way school teachers might, so you need to show some focus, discipline and initiative. The other thing about college is there's no maximum age limit (6th forms tend to have an upper age limit of 18-19). That may or may not suit you, but IMHO, it offers a greater wider learning experience than you would get in 6th form.

Of course, in the meantime, you need to get your head down and get your GCSE's. The silver lining is that at least your school mates are less likely to distract you from your studies :tongue:

literally how does that matter in this context am i asking "why does no one ever date me" ??? tf

Don't worry about that... some people just like to try and be funny / clever. Don't let these people get to you, cause then they win.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Old Skool Freak
This is a move that could work either way for you (it could work out very well or not-so-well).Research your choices...

Extended high school 6th form:- if you go to a sixth-form that's part of a "middle-school", most people will be from that school (there won't really be many "newbies". You say you've got friends in other schools? So that could work out for you if you talk to them and see what they're planning on studying and where they want to go. On the other hand, if you go alone, most people will be from that particular school and will have their own groups, cliques etc. so you risk having the same problem. Fair enough, they may be a bit more grown up and work focused, but you may still struggle to find some friends.

Dedicated 6th Form college:- Mainly same / similar sort of people, but they may be slightly more open-minded than those going to the sixth form as part of their school. There will most likely be groups of people from other schools, but there will be a few who are there by themselves... although I don't know how easy it will be to find them.

County / borough college:-
This will probably be the fastest learning curve, and there will be several people who will have gone there by themselves (not part of an existing group/ clique).. Everything is on a much wider scale and they offer a much wider range of courses (including many vocational courses; as opposed to the traditional "A" levels). You don't really have tutor groups as you might do in 6th forms, and the people are lecturers (as opposed to teachers). They won't push you in the same way school teachers might, so you need to show some focus, discipline and initiative. The other thing about college is there's no maximum age limit (6th forms tend to have an upper age limit of 18-19). That may or may not suit you, but IMHO, it offers a greater wider learning experience than you would get in 6th form.

Of course, in the meantime, you need to get your head down and get your GCSE's. The silver lining is that at least your school mates are less likely to distract you from your studies :tongue:

i've taken a look at like colleges but i feel as if they aren't that suited towards me so im sticking with sixth form or sixth form college but the issue is that my closest sixth form college they're all planning to attend there as well and i don't like to travel. i feel like if i join a sixth form in a secondary school it'll be way harder to already make friends since they have established friendships
i've taken a look at like colleges but i feel as if they aren't that suited towards me so im sticking with sixth form or sixth form college but the issue is that my closest sixth form college they're all planning to attend there as well and i don't like to travel. i feel like if i join a sixth form in a secondary school it'll be way harder to already make friends since they have established friendships

Well you've got a little while until you need to make your final decision... so don't rush it, have an open mind and think about all options carefully and objectively (I would suggest speaking to people who are at or have been to each scenario, if you can). As for travelling, chances are you're going to have to travel somewhat when you're older... so you might as well start getting used to it sooner rather than later (just my thoughts).
Reply 7
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Well you've got a little while until you need to make your final decision... so don't rush it, have an open mind and think about all options carefully and objectively (I would suggest speaking to people who are at or have been to each scenario, if you can). As for travelling, chances are you're going to have to travel somewhat when you're older... so you might as well start getting used to it sooner rather than later (just my thoughts).

thats true... i'll still think on it for now, but thank you for your advice :biggrin:

tbf you partly answered you're own question. Some of them arent good people and some dont put in the effort to be friends with you. Thats their loss, not yours. of course maybe not everyone in your school is like that but its hard to rule people out and then start talking to the. Remember that every school is not the same so it may be worse or may be much much better, the choice is yours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending