The Student Room Group

How to settle into college and make friends?

Hi, so tomorrow I have my college induction day and I'm really nervous. I'll be going with one other friend who is doing 3 out of 4 of my subjects with me, but there's gonna be mulitple classes depending on ability and I'm afriad that we won't be together. I'll also be in psychology on my own.

I'm really shy and always have been and I'm afraid that I won't settle in and make friends in September. I have no idea what to do and as much as I tell myself to talk to people and look approachable, I just end up in the corner stood on my own and looking at the floor or something.

Any advice? Thanks.
Reply 1
Just try to assert yourself in groups. You'll almost certainly be put into a small group with other people on your course(s). So just act like you know what you are doing because everyone else will be as nervous as you; they'll probably be more open around and look to talk to you more.

Good luck :borat:.
Reply 2
Original post by LeaX
Hi, so tomorrow I have my college induction day and I'm really nervous. I'll be going with one other friend who is doing 3 out of 4 of my subjects with me, but there's gonna be mulitple classes depending on ability and I'm afriad that we won't be together. I'll also be in psychology on my own.

I'm really shy and always have been and I'm afraid that I won't settle in and make friends in September. I have no idea what to do and as much as I tell myself to talk to people and look approachable, I just end up in the corner stood on my own and looking at the floor or something.

Any advice? Thanks.

they'll have activites where you'll get talking to each other
Reply 3
If you have to ask how to make friends you probably won't make any
Reply 4
Whip your cock out...
Reply 5
Dress like a slut on the first week or two at college; you'll definately get some friends then :sexface:

...No seriously, just don't over-analyze making friends, it happens naturally; so put yourself in a situation where you have several opportunities to make friends.

Someone will talk to you :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
When they have a group activity just speak up and suggest ideas. Also just introduce yourself to everyone if you get in a small group and don't be afraid to talk about whatever.
Reply 7
Original post by LeaX

Any advice? Thanks.

I know exactly how you are feeling because I was really nervous about my college induction day too. The main thing that you have to remember is that more or less everyone will be in the same position as you. At my day, the tutors encouraged us to talk to each other and work in small groups with people we didn't know in order for us to get to know each other a little- so you will get to know people that way. The main questions though that I asked and people asked me and I heard asking each other were what school did you go to? and what other subjects are you studying?

Oh, if you do meet someone, maybe you could exchange Facebook or something. A girl I met at my college induction day wanted to add me as a friend on Facebook and we have been talking and getting to know each other on Facebook ever since :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you everyone. I know I shouldn't over-analyse I'm just stressing out but I'm sure once I'm there everything will (hopefully) fall into place. :smile:

Original post by Iqbal007
they'll have activites where you'll get talking to each other

That's the main thing I'm dreading lol, I hate those ice breaker activities.

Original post by Unknown?
Whip your cock out...

I'm a girl...
Reply 9
Original post by LeaX
Thank you everyone. I know I shouldn't over-analyse I'm just stressing out but I'm sure once I'm there everything will (hopefully) fall into place. :smile:

That's the main thing I'm dreading lol, I hate those ice breaker activities.

I'm a girl...

loooool

They aint too bad, if its college, then you got to realise that everyone else is in the same boat as you, so it'll easy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending