The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Freshers at University of york as an off campus student

I'm going to be a first year in a week at uni of York and i'm commuting from home , how is the freshers week experience like for off campus students? everywhere i see is more targeted to people living on campus and getting to know flatmates etc so not rlly sure what to expect . i've been allocated alculin college are there any offcampus students allocated to there?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to be a first year in a week at uni of York and i'm commuting from home , how is the freshers week experience like for off campus students? everywhere i see is more targeted to people living on campus and getting to know flatmates etc so not rlly sure what to expect . i've been allocated alculin college are there any offcampus students allocated to there?

Hi, I think it will be a very different experience since on campus students do have a designated group to go out with and STYCs to take them where they need to go. Just checked the Alcuin freshers timetable and they seem to have 'meet and chill' events and 'night out' events, so depending on how close to York you live i'd definitely go to a mix of both. If you don't currently have anyone to go on the nights out I'd recommend joining some college group chats, or asking people you meet at the day time events if they don't mind you tagging along with their flat. I've also seen a lot of people posting on here about having to live off campus because the halls are full, so might be worth sending some messages and asking them if they want to make any plans too. Obviously there is a lot of pressure to have a good freshers week but at the end it is only one week of the next 3 years, and you will have loads more chances to make other friends whether it be on your course, a society or a sports team, so don't be too worried if it doesn't go the way you imagined it :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by phh03
Hi, I think it will be a very different experience since on campus students do have a designated group to go out with and STYCs to take them where they need to go. Just checked the Alcuin freshers timetable and they seem to have 'meet and chill' events and 'night out' events, so depending on how close to York you live i'd definitely go to a mix of both. If you don't currently have anyone to go on the nights out I'd recommend joining some college group chats, or asking people you meet at the day time events if they don't mind you tagging along with their flat. I've also seen a lot of people posting on here about having to live off campus because the halls are full, so might be worth sending some messages and asking them if they want to make any plans too. Obviously there is a lot of pressure to have a good freshers week but at the end it is only one week of the next 3 years, and you will have loads more chances to make other friends whether it be on your course, a society or a sports team, so don't be too worried if it doesn't go the way you imagined it :smile:

Thanks thsts very helpful I’ve not gotten any sort of timetable for the first week do they do anything related to your course or is it just helping students settle in ? Is it optional to go in because if it’s not necessary I’m not planning on going in for the whole week
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks thsts very helpful I’ve not gotten any sort of timetable for the first week do they do anything related to your course or is it just helping students settle in ? Is it optional to go in because if it’s not necessary I’m not planning on going in for the whole week

Yeah, if you don't have any classes scheduled then you totally don't need to come to campus. Maybe just take a look at the freshers events on each day then only come in for the ones you wanna go to: https://alcuincollege.com/whats-on/
Reply 4
Original post by phh03
Yeah, if you don't have any classes scheduled then you totally don't need to come to campus. Maybe just take a look at the freshers events on each day then only come in for the ones you wanna go to: https://alcuincollege.com/whats-on/

Thanks so much for your help ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest