The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

help with uni choices

Hi, so I've narrowed down my two uni choices to Lancaster or RHUL for accounting and finance. I want to go to Lancaster but I know distance from home would be a problem and I dislike how the area is isolated apparently. I know people in RHUL and it's nearer to home as well so I feel like I would be more vcomfortable there but it has less module choices compared to Lancaster and a worse graduate prospect. I'm unsure what to do and everyone is advising me to go through clearing and apply to unis such as Queensmary or York, however I'm overthinking about accommodation. I don't want to live where i have to share my bathroom with other people, it sounds really dramatic ik.
Reply 1
I'm currently on a gap year, i was really hellbent on going to Lancaster initially but my mind has started to drift and now I'm stressing out. Can anyone give me advice :frown:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by h1nata
I'm currently on a gap year, i was really hellbent on going to Lancaster initially but my mind has started to drift and now I'm stressing out. Can anyone give me advice :frown:

Lancaster is fine the campus is about 15 minutes from the centre. Manchester an hour away if you need somewhere bigger.
Original post by h1nata
Hi, so I've narrowed down my two uni choices to Lancaster or RHUL for accounting and finance. I want to go to Lancaster but I know distance from home would be a problem and I dislike how the area is isolated apparently. I know people in RHUL and it's nearer to home as well so I feel like I would be more vcomfortable there but it has less module choices compared to Lancaster and a worse graduate prospect. I'm unsure what to do and everyone is advising me to go through clearing and apply to unis such as Queensmary or York, however I'm overthinking about accommodation. I don't want to live where i have to share my bathroom with other people, it sounds really dramatic ik.

If the course at Lancaster appeals to you more then it makes more sense to choose that uni. Although Lancaster's campus is on the edge of the city, it really isn't an issue in terms of social life and accessibility as there is a very frequent bus service (and a night bus). If you choose uni accommodation for your first-year accommodation, then you will likely be on campus. All the colleges have a student bar and there are plenty of social events organised throughout the week by the colleges and the clubs and societies. Most students move in to private house shares in the city for years two and three and get a bus pass or cycle to get into campus. Uni-run accommodation is still an option for these years.

One big advantage of Lancaster is the cost of accommodation - it is amongst the cheapest in the country. The city is on the West coast mainline and trains to London can take as little as 2.5 hours. Liverpool and Manchester are easily accessible for the odd shopping trip or night out, and your are on the doorstep of the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales if you enjoy the great outdoors. My son is at Lancaster and he loves it.

@Lancaster Student Ambassador
Original post by h1nata

Hi!

I'm a current Lancaster University student and I can definitely say that I haven't really experienced any isolation at all. Lancaster is on the smaller side for a city but there's no shortage of things to do and it's very well connected to other major cities like Manchester and Liverpool. The city is also very student-friendly, with lots of shops and cafes (independents as well as all the main chain stores you'd expect to see), and there's plenty of green space, with Williamson park being a favourite with students. In terms of nightlife, there are plenty of bars and poolrooms, with the Students' Union run club being popular with students. The campus itself is really vibrant and full of life. The colleges provide a great environment for making friends, and each has its own bar, study space and common space. Some even have their own cinema rooms. There's two shops and many restaurants and cafes on campus, as well as a sports centre with great gym facilities. In my first year when I lived on campus I found that I didn't really need to leave much at all. That being said, I've really enjoyed being so close to both the Lake District and the seaside, which make for great day trips! The Forest of Bowland AONB is also just the other side of the M6 from the Uni, and you can hike there from campus!

If you're worried about sharing bathrooms, there's a lot of ensuite accommodation available at Lancaster in colleges such as Pendle, Lonsdale and Cartmel, so that shouldn't be a problem. When applying for accommodation, you can specify this as one of your main preferences.

As Normaw said, transport from campus into town is really easy, there's buses every ten minutes from the University. I'm living off campus now in second year and have been using a bus pass which makes travel really easy. A lot of my other friends cycle, which is made quite easy by the cycle path between town and campus and all of the bike storage on campus.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Becky
Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Reply 5
thank you so much for the replies :smile:!! i’m just worried about distance from home and it’s bugging me but i do want to go there because i know it would be more beneficial for the long term. can you tell me about the societies, i’ve seen people online say it’s quite lacking and diversity ? not saying it’s a problem but i am asian and i’ve been surrounded by asian for my whole life so i hope it wouldn’t be a problem to fit in right
Original post by h1nata
thank you so much for the replies :smile:!! i’m just worried about distance from home and it’s bugging me but i do want to go there because i know it would be more beneficial for the long term. can you tell me about the societies, i’ve seen people online say it’s quite lacking and diversity ? not saying it’s a problem but i am asian and i’ve been surrounded by asian for my whole life so i hope it wouldn’t be a problem to fit in right

Details of all the clubs and societies are here:

https://lancastersu.co.uk/groups

Official uni EDI data here:

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/edi/understand-edi-data/
Original post by h1nata

Hey @h1nata
I wouldn't agree with the lacking diversity part. I am south asian and an international student and the university has many societies for each country, religion, belief, hobby etc.
Even if you are not willing to join any societies ( I didn't because I couldn't commit my time to all events) you are still going to find friends from all cultures and backgrounds.
There are many asians on campus. I am not personally friends with too many but walking around on campus I can safely say that every 1 out of 5 person I see is Asian.
As for the distance, I know that it is super overwhelming to move away from home and family but once you spend a few months on campus with your friends, you will want to just be with them 😂
If you live near London (assuming as you said RHUL is close to your home) then there are many trains from Lancaster that will take you back home in just 2-3 hours.
Many of my friends commute back every weekend to see their families and come back with a fresh batch of home cooked food.
My advice would be don't be scared of distance at the moment, because as I mentioned once you go to university, and meet friends, it will become your new home, and friends your new family.

I hope this helps and all the best for your future decision :smile:
Vyomika
Reply 8
thank you for the advice! i just firmed it and i feel sick because this is really out of my vcomfort zone and idk how i will be without my parents for a long time, i wouldve liked to visit them weekends sometimes:frown: i hope itll be okay being far
Original post by h1nata
thank you for the advice! i just firmed it and i feel sick because this is really out of my vcomfort zone and idk how i will be without my parents for a long time, i wouldve liked to visit them weekends sometimes:frown: i hope itll be okay being far

Hi,
It's definitely understandable to be nervous about moving away from home, I remember feeling really anxious before my first year. Like Vyomika said though, once you get a couple of weeks into term and start making really good friends and feeling comfortable on campus you will feel so much more confident. In my first year I visited home a couple of weekends a term, and that's definitely something a lot of people do so that's always an option! As Vyomika said Lancaster is very well connected by train and also by coach, which is longer but less expensive.
If you are really worried about coming to University there is definitely support available. For example, you can get in contact with the Transitions Team, who do a lot of events and provide support for students to help them settle in. They even have a Teams channel which I think you can be added to before you even arrive to university. Once you find out your college, you'll also have a college welfare team you can get in contact with.
If you have any more questions about what to expect at Lancaster please let us know!

Becky
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending