The Student Room Group

Politics dissertation?

Oh hey. I'm about to go into my 3rd year of a Politics degree, and I'm doing a dissertation next year. The proposal deadline is some way off (October) but they've sent out a couple of emails saying that it might be wise for people to get an idea of what they want to do and start researching over the summer holiday. Since I have little else to do, I'm happy to get on with that, but that's literally the only information they've given us.

With that in mind, has anyone done a dissertation for Politics before? What did you do it on? Obviously I'm not going to steal any proposals, I'm just wondering what kind of thing people do, I'm pretty clueless right now. How specific should the question be, how obscure should the subject matter be, so on and so forth. I'm considering doing a dissertation on some field of international relations, but that's about as specific as I've gotten so far.

Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
I was watching this website the other day, you may find it helpful! Dissertation topics! Good luck! I hoope I helped!
Go and speak to someone at the department. People have office hours for a reason.
Original post by Tuniar
Oh hey. I'm about to go into my 3rd year of a Politics degree, and I'm doing a dissertation next year. The proposal deadline is some way off (October) but they've sent out a couple of emails saying that it might be wise for people to get an idea of what they want to do and start researching over the summer holiday. Since I have little else to do, I'm happy to get on with that, but that's literally the only information they've given us.

With that in mind, has anyone done a dissertation for Politics before? What did you do it on? Obviously I'm not going to steal any proposals, I'm just wondering what kind of thing people do, I'm pretty clueless right now. How specific should the question be, how obscure should the subject matter be, so on and so forth. I'm considering doing a dissertation on some field of international relations, but that's about as specific as I've gotten so far.

Thanks for any help.

I wrote one this year, it was "Why do people vote for the British National Party?"

Other ones people I know did were

About the expenses scandal,
is British politics becoming more Presidential?,
Why does terrorism exist in democratic countries?
Is Post-feminism a myth?
China: Friend or foe, and for whom?
Stuff about the Westminster model

And then you can always go down the political philosophy route; the influence of, say, Locke, on current liberals or something. Though not many people in my year went along those lines, they were mostly entirely empirical dissertations.

Any questions, just ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending