The Student Room Group

Economics vs Politics: Which of my degree subjects should I do my dissertation in?

Im really stuck with which of my joint degree subjects to do my dissertation in. I am far better at politics than I am economics, however as my dissertation replaces a regular subject, I am worried that doing a politics dissertation would waste a politics course I could have otherwise achieved an A or B on. My research methadology politics course gained me a low B, so I am really struggling to make up my mind as I feel a politics diss would drag my grade down whereas an economics diss would be damage limitation while my politics courses drag my grades back up.

On the other hand, I have never done econometrics so I am only aware of the basics, since I went abroad during the semester my university taught econometrics.

Therefore, I am at a crossroads.

What do all my fellow economics students think? Is a dissertation possible without advanced econometric knowledge, and how would you advise on which option to take.

I am so stuck it's horrible.
Reply 1
how much of a drag can you afford? it seems reasonably obvious that you should pick an economics diss and prioritise politics class elsewhere both because you'd get better grades there and enjoy the classes more

i did my economics dissertation on statistical methods, but im sure you dont have to. you could do economic history
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by HoldThisL
how much of a drag can you afford? it seems reasonably obvious that you should pick an economics diss and prioritise politics class elsewhere both because you'd get better grades there and enjoy the classes more

i did my economics dissertation on statistical methods, but im sure you dont have to. you could do economic history

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah my mind was on politics even though I am fully aware that econ would be a graft.

How much support did you get for your dissertation in terms of directioning you to the appropriate content? I am so worried about my ability to properly apply statistics and econometrics however I could be right in assuming it's far easier to apply these in a dissertation than in an exam context if I was willing to learn?

How much support do suppervisors give in this regard?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending